We are 144,985 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed with a Recurrence or Metastases but Concerned → Topic: Granuloma in lung- should i worry?

Topic: Granuloma in lung- should i worry?

Forum: Not Diagnosed with a Recurrence or Metastases but Concerned — Meet others concerned about developing a recurrence or metastases.

Posted on: Feb 26, 2010 09:03AM

zoegr wrote:

A month ago i had a mastectomy on left breast because of DCIS with microinvation and two lymph nodes positive (13 nodes were removed).

After the surgery i had different scans like Breast MRI, Bone scan and ct scan. Yesterday i got the results of my chest ct scan. Everything was fine, they only found two small noncalcified granulomas in the upper part of left lung. The doc said that it can be from previous infection and nothing to worry about. I worry if the radiologist had made a mistake. He can be sure from the ct scan that is something benign? I forgot to mention that he did the ct scan without a contrast. Should i have another ct scan with contrast this time? Should i start worrying that i have a metastasis in my lung?

Please help me!

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Feb 26, 2010 09:13AM REKoz wrote:

I don't know how helpful my story is but here goes: I had a PET scan last year before I began treatment which showed a nodule in the lung. PET scan after treatment showed no change. I was supposed to have another PET today which I cancelled because of the snow. The Onc. wants to keep an eye on it which is why 6 months later he wants me to have another. He told me the same thing about scar tissue etc. and I'm not overly nervous about it.  Of course, I'll never ever again be carefree about any tests, but overall, I'm as confident as I can be. I've seen many ladies on this board with similar situations.

I wouldn't worry too much...especially this early in with DCIS. However, I'm curious how it could be termed DCIS with pos. nodes?  I thought that would make it IDC, no?

BMX 11/08, Abraxane/Carbo/x4 1/09 Herceptin until 1/10, Recon w expanders-1st exchange Dec. 09. Revision from 700 Style 20 to 600 Style 45-Oct 10

Dx 10/16/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Feb 26, 2010 09:49AM, edited Feb 26, 2010 10:13AM by somanywomen

zoegr, years ago (2003-2004) while having chest xray, they discovered several nodules on my lungs, these were followed by cat scan, then another cat scan 6 months later to see if any change...Well some were smaller and some had disapeared, so I was told they were nothing to worry about....Hence again in Oct 2009 on my pre-op chest xray again there was a 5mm nodule, surgeon wanted a cat scan which I did (I even mentioned that I had this same lung nodules years ago) but he advised me to do cat and I just did 3 month follow-up for this and my lung still have same area stable calcified granulotomous and stable scarring even compared to 2004 scan....My doctor asked me if I had pneumonia growing up or lived in the midwest, I guess this can happen when we are young and we never even know it.....I was relieved with these results and although I hate having all the xtra radiation from these tests, it is the only way to find out for sure.....I would say to you to make sure you keep copy of report so you can have it for comparison for later use if needed..Had I not kept my reports, they would have never been able to compare....I think this scarring and some lung b9 nodules are pretty common and your's most likely are nothing to be concerned about or they would be wanting you to have a followup in about 3-6 months which may not be a bad idea anyway given our bc dx and all trying to stay on top of it as much as we can...

I know you said yours was noncalcified and I do not know if mine compares but i do hope this helps!!

“There must be some way out of here,” said the joker to the thief, “There’s too much confusion, I can’t get no relief."....All Along the Watchtower..Bob Dylan

Dx 9/28/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Feb 26, 2010 10:19AM zoegr wrote:

Thanks for your replies.

REKoz  Actually i had multifocal DCIS with some microinvation that's why affected the lymph nodes. In my pathology report says DCIS because they couldn't find where the microinvation was. So it becomes IDC. Are the nodules in your lung calcified or not. Mine have no calcification should i worry about that?

Is it better to have a ct scan or PET scan?

Dx 11/23/2009, DCIS, 6cm+, Grade 3, 2/13 nodes, ER-, HER2+

Feb 26, 2010 10:22AM somanywomen wrote:

Zoegr, I also had Pet, depending on the nodule size it may or may not show up...I think the CT with contrast may be next step...Ask radiologist in your case....good luck

“There must be some way out of here,” said the joker to the thief, “There’s too much confusion, I can’t get no relief."....All Along the Watchtower..Bob Dylan

Feb 26, 2010 10:35AM REKoz wrote:

Zoegr-

I actually don't know the answer to you question! There was no mention of calcification so I assume not? Also, I'm unsure whether granuloma and nodule are the same. Have to check on that. The point is, there was something on the lung which was not comforting!  I did have pnemonia as a child so it makes me feel better that it is scar tissue.

I believe a PET scan gives more info. then a CT.  I could be wrong about that but that is the impression I got when I read up on PET scans. 

We all know how it's easier said then done when someone tells you not to worry. However, try to take things one step at a time. Just getting diagnosed with BC is a big enough blow. Hopefully you will feel better when you understand that these kind of findings are not unusual and are likely not cancer.

Best to you  

xoEllen

BMX 11/08, Abraxane/Carbo/x4 1/09 Herceptin until 1/10, Recon w expanders-1st exchange Dec. 09. Revision from 700 Style 20 to 600 Style 45-Oct 10

Dx 10/16/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Feb 26, 2010 10:47AM, edited Feb 26, 2010 11:10AM by somanywomen

In my case my nodule was diagnosed to be a granuloma but like I said these are generally caused when we are young from scarring from an infection or from a fungal particles that are in the air called histoplasmosis, esp,. for those who grow up in Midwest...I believe there is a blood test to test for histoplasmosis....When I had the Pet a few months ago, they told me that my nodule 5mm was too small to show, but also no activity in that area for concern or cancer either.....With my recent Ct scan,  my docs are sure that this is nothing more to be concerned with (assured me that this was not cancer and just my scarring/granuloma that I have had since being a child)... So I can breath easier since results.....At this time, I think I am more concerned about all the extra radiation from the 2 chest xrays, the 4 CT scans and the Pet scan that I have had to followup on these as to  what is found to be common lung granulomas.....

Feb 26, 2010 01:25PM LRM216 wrote:

Granulomas are NOT cancer.  I have had a small lung granuloma for year and years - detected long before I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  All my ct's at that time were without contrast as well. I would not worry about it at all.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain ... Age 62 at diagnose

Dx 2/23/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Surgery 03/07/2009 Lumpectomy (Right)Chemotherapy 04/25/2009 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, Taxol, TaxotereRadiation Therapy 10/21/2009 External

Feb 26, 2010 01:28PM Pure wrote:

I had 2 of those as well. The doc never even told me-I found on my own. I asked her about it after reading it in my chart and she said nope-no worried-the radiologist wouldn't have even mentioned them if you had n't had bc before. Your fine.... Mine was found on a ct without contrast as well.

Dx 8/8/2009, IDC, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 26, 2010 01:29PM Pure wrote:

FYi-I am seen at Duke University-I assume they know what they are talking about:) But I did run it by several stage 3 sisters and lot of them had the same thing. Mine were .2mm and .3mm-tiny and couldn't be biopsed even if I wanted them to.

Dx 8/8/2009, IDC, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2010 03:26AM zoegr wrote:

Is there any difference if they are calcified or non calcified. Mine are non-calcified. What about yours?

Dx 11/23/2009, DCIS, 6cm+, Grade 3, 2/13 nodes, ER-, HER2+

Oct 19, 2010 12:11PM jjfly wrote:

My mom had a double lumpectomy. She went through chemo then radiation. In the middle of radiation, she had a PET scan and a "hot spot" suggesting cancer was found on her lung. My mom had surgery on this spot yesterday and it was found to be a granuloma. We are all so happy she is cancer free but she is hurting pretty bad from the surgery. Now she is questioning whether she should of had the surgery or just had the spot monitored a little longer. You just never can be sure.