We are 144,985 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed with a Recurrence or Metastases but Concerned → Topic: Bone mets? I can pin point the painful spots on my ribs

Topic: Bone mets? I can pin point the painful spots on my ribs

Forum: Not Diagnosed with a Recurrence or Metastases but Concerned — Meet others concerned about developing a recurrence or metastases.

Posted on: Oct 20, 2011 10:44PM

NannaBaby wrote:

I am seeing my onc tomoro regarding rib pain. I've had it for the past month or more. I can pin point some of the painful spots. And when I push it hurts a lot!

Posts 1 - 21 (21 total)

Oct 21, 2011 07:32AM NannaBaby wrote:

I'm worried :s does this sound like it can be mets? If I can pinpoint the pain?

NannyBaby, dx May 2010 at age 28. Neo-Chemo AC+Taxotere, surgery uMx, 25 Tomo rads, more chemo Cisplatin+Vinorelbine.

Dx 5/28/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2-Chemotherapy 06/04/2010 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxotereSurgery 12/14/2010 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 02/20/2011 3-D conformal external beam radiationChemotherapy 04/01/2011 carboplatin, NavelbineSurgery 07/13/2012 Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Left)

Oct 21, 2011 07:48AM, edited Oct 21, 2011 07:49AM by reesie

Take a deep breath (but only if it doesn't hurt). I see you had radiation. The ribs can be weakened and even fracture long into the future from rads. Get it checked but it's probably not mets.

Marie - It's A Great Day To Be Alive. Dx 10/29/2010 ER+/PR+, HER2- Stage IV mets to bones, liver, lungs, skin, pleural effusions

Oct 21, 2011 08:15AM SandyAust wrote:

Nanababy.  I had rib pain so bad about six month to a year after my mastectomy that I almost couldn't bear to wear a bra.  I had to though as I was bit lopsided without it LOL.  I could also touch tender points on my ribs. It wasn't mets but costochrondritis.  I have noticed a number of women with this problem on the boards over the years,  I think you really need to get it checked but hopefully this will help you feel a little less worried until you see your oncologist.  I am hoping for a good outcome for you.

Oct 21, 2011 08:39AM AussieSheila wrote:

Nanababy, I had sore ribs last year 'round Sept and when I saw my Onc in Dec, she said that the new CT I had had done a week before showed a healed rib fracture scar.  I thought I had just sprained a muscle at the time even though it was pretty sore.  I have now done it twice more this year so I'm getting well used to the stabbing pain in the back when it happens again and the soreness in the front of the ribs.

Just wait until you see the Dr as it could be Arthritis too, which is also a factor for me.

Sheila.

Maybe it is life itself that teaches wisdom to its youth. k d lang ILC dxed in RB '95, mod rad mx 2 pos nodes from 32 ax clearance + A/C x 4 + Tamoxifen x 5yrs.

Dx 11/4/2008, ILC, Stage IV, 2/32 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2-

Oct 21, 2011 09:28PM LilmsSmilee wrote:

I have had the same pain for the past week. There are 2 spots on my back ribs and 1 on the front, all on the same side (left) as my bc.  Today, my onc said if the pain persists for 2 weeks, I will get a bone scan.  Better to err on the side of caution.  I have another week before the scan, if the pain does not subside.  I did not have radiation, and my chiropractor is sure it is not back muscles but could be intercostal muscles (between the ribs). 

Keep us updated.  I will be praying for you and for good news! 

I have every reason to smile and no reason not to! LilmsSmilee

Dx 3/10/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 03/11/2011 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 04/18/2011 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal (Left); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Chemotherapy 05/25/2011 Cytoxan, TaxotereSurgery 09/07/2011 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Surgery 03/09/2012 Reconstruction: Nipple reconstruction (Both)

Oct 22, 2011 02:41PM NannaBaby wrote:

I saw my rad. onc. yesterday.  I cried! As soon as I got to the cancer centre I cried, as soon as I saw my onc. I cried!  I feel like such a baby!

He is sending me for a bone scan and abdominal ultrasound.  I have had bouts of nausea lately and decreased energy :s He was going to send me for an ab ct, but I think I'm allergic to the contrast. I had a minor rash last time. I wanted to do the ct and just take benedryl, but he said u/s was just as good.

I'll keep you updated!  It helped to see my onc. as he said it doesn't sound like a recurrence.  But I won't feel at ease until I get the scans! I bet my nausea is anxiety indused!

NannyBaby, dx May 2010 at age 28. Neo-Chemo AC+Taxotere, surgery uMx, 25 Tomo rads, more chemo Cisplatin+Vinorelbine.

Dx 5/28/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2-Chemotherapy 06/04/2010 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxotereSurgery 12/14/2010 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 02/20/2011 3-D conformal external beam radiationChemotherapy 04/01/2011 carboplatin, NavelbineSurgery 07/13/2012 Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Left)

Oct 22, 2011 02:57PM jazz3000 wrote:

It's okay to cry NannaBaby, it makes you feel better. It doesn't make you a baby. Sounds like you were frightened - with good reason - and needed some reassurance after waiting to see the onc. So glad to hear your onc took you serious and understood those concerns. Here's hoping it's not mets. It is strange how the body can react to these types of things isn't it. Let's hope your nausea subsides and he's right about the recurrence.

I'm with all the other sister's here. I've had pain in my ribs since surgery and it was from the BS said partially due to all the muscles and nerves they've moved and cut. She also said after BC surgery we tend to compensate, meaning I haven't been able to sleep in my normal ways, I tend to protect my right side ( the breast removed), and have used my left side to compensate for the loss of movement in my right arm. I was walking like QuasiMoto there for a while. It throws the bodies alignment out and ribs are a part of the alignment. 

Keep us updated, and don't worry so much. Do something good for yourself today.

Jazz

Dx 8/31/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 3/9 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Oct 22, 2011 03:25PM TifJ wrote:

Nanna- I just had a bone scan 2 weeks age for the exact same thing. Very tender spots in lower back as well as several on the ribs. The scan showed absolutely nothing! I have heard from several women that they had this 1-2 years out after chemo! I hope it's nothing!!

Dx 8/30/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Surgery 09/15/2010 Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Right)Chemotherapy 10/28/2010 Cytoxan, Taxotere

Oct 23, 2011 02:52PM MJLToday wrote:

It's certainly worth getting checked out, but as others have said there is a very good chance it is NOT a recurrence. 

As far as the crying bit, I think anyone going through a serious cancer diagnosis and treatment has some form of PTSD.  Your reaction was totally normal. 

MJ '98 Stage 2 ER+/PR-/Her-, AC+Tam: Sep 08 bone/liver mets. Arimidex,Faslodex,Zometa thru 12/09, Aromasin+Everolimus thru 03/10, Abraxane thru 3/11,Xeloda 8/11,Armed Activated T cell trial 9/11, Taxotere/Gemzar now

Oct 23, 2011 04:14PM apple wrote:

i would mark the pin points with a pen.. see if they move around or something.

good luck

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen

Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Oct 23, 2011 04:21PM CarylC wrote:

I have a painful rib spot as well, hoping it's from rads and the chondro - whateveritis.  See the RO on Tuesday.  Mine's on the front of my lowest rib but not anywhere near the sternum which is where I thought that hurt at - we'll see.  If I touch it, it can bring me to my knees from the pain.  But it doesn't hurt when I laugh or cough or stretch, just hurts to hurt or when touched or when I roll over on it at night.  Seems like if it's not one thing, it's another.  Don't feel bad about crying though!  Totally understandable.  

Dx 3/11/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 3/12 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Oct 24, 2011 04:10AM mamaof3bugs wrote:

I had a broken rib in July with no explaination for how it happened.  My TMs were up and they were fairly sure it was a recurrence.  I had a chest xray to confirm that the rib was broken, a bone scan to the chest to see if it lit up (it did but apparently most breaks do) and then I had a CT with contrast.  It was the longest two weeks but the ultimately outcome was fabulous!  Yes I had a severly broken rib but no recurrence!  They believe I broke it sneezing.  My TMs were up because I had a root canal the week before and had a nasty infection in my jaw.  Good luck!  Angi

Angi~

Dx 1/22/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/12 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Oct 26, 2011 08:00PM NannaBaby wrote:

I got a bone scan today! I'll let you know when I get the results.  I am also going for an abdominal ultrasound on friday.

Oct 27, 2011 08:52AM TifJ wrote:

Sending you good thought Nanna!!

Dx 8/30/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Surgery 09/15/2010 Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Right)Chemotherapy 10/28/2010 Cytoxan, Taxotere

Oct 31, 2011 08:45PM NannaBaby wrote:

Hi Ladies!

I got my lung, bone and ultrasound results today! ALL CLEAR!! What a RELIEF!

Thanks for cheering me on and keeping positive :)

I don't have an explanation for the pain... it's still there :( It's been over 6 weeks.  But, at least now I'll be able to sleep knowing it's not cancer :)

Nov 1, 2011 03:24AM SandyAust wrote:

Great news Nanna Baby.  I think this pain is quite common from what I have read on here over time.  Even if it chostochondritis, which has several causes including mild infection after surgery, you would feel the pain along the ribs as muscles can go into painful spasm due to the inflamation of the cartilage.  That is what mine was, although mine was due to an autoimmune inflammatory condition.  You must be feel so relieved.  As I said mine was so painful I could hardly stand to wear a bra, so I was also very worried.  One of the advantages of these scans is it will also hopefully give you some peace of mind that there is nothing lurking elsewhere without  symptoms. That's how it worked for me.

Nov 1, 2011 03:45AM, edited Nov 1, 2011 03:45AM by hec2

This Post was deleted by hec2.
Dx 5/3/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Nov 13, 2011 11:13PM charkleroad wrote:

Nannababy, are you on Tamoxifen by any chance? There is another thread on this site. Several people have similar pain you are having. They think its from Tamoxifen.

Nov 16, 2011 10:27PM NannaBaby wrote:

No I'm not on Tamox. I'm triple negative.

I am keeping track of things now... what I do and what might agrivate the pain. It comes and goes.  But some weeks there, it seemed like it was there all the time.  I get to see my med.onc. in Jan. and I'll let him know of my pain journal.  I really hope it goes away cuz I really want reconstruction in the spring! And if I'm in pain, I doubt they will agree to it quite yet...

Nov 17, 2011 09:41AM TifJ wrote:

Nanna- my sore rib spots are still there too even after a clear scan. I think it just has to do with the chemo messing with our bodies!

Nov 17, 2011 07:00PM rachel5738 wrote:

I also have had sore left ribs for some time. Went back to onco couple of times and had another bone scan---which was clear--and then it was still hurting some time later and had a xray--again clear. It bothers me and i do worry about mets but have to also think that something would have shown by now? Aarrgghhh...cancer really does mess with your head :(

Breast Cancer Stage II, Grade 1: Treatment Plan: FEC-T X6/Rads 25+5/Tamoxifen 5 years; Cervical Cancer Stage 1B, Treatment plan: Rad Hyst

Dx 7/5/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-