We are 144,847 members in 73 forums discussing 114,678 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Not Diagnosed with a Recurrence or Metastases but Concerned → Topic: Red, Inflamed breast

Topic: Red, Inflamed breast

Forum: Not Diagnosed with a Recurrence or Metastases but Concerned — Meet others concerned about developing a recurrence or metastases.

Posted on: Dec 6, 2011 08:59PM, edited Dec 6, 2011 09:02PM by Liezel

Liezel wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I am 6 years post dx and 3 yrs post recon. Had my last CT scan 6 months ago.  Yesterday I woke up with pain in the site of the original tumor.  Within hours my whole breast has gone red, swollen and inflamed and I have a slight fever. I am so scared it might be IBC - the other option is Mastitis, but I don't have ANY breast tissue left, not even a nipple.  My original dx was not IBC, so can it recur as a different ca?  My breast surgeon is on holiday already, but I can see his partner at 14h30 this afternoon.  Don't actually know how I am going to make it to then - i am in agony.  Been taking anti-inflammatories since yesterday but it is not helping much.  Any words of wisdom?

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Dec 6, 2011 09:16PM Racy wrote:

Hi, it's good that you got an appointment so soon. They may do an ultrasound and administer antibiotics as first line of treatment. The fact that you have a fever makes it sound like an infection.

I don't have IBC but had a scary rash last week. Best wishes.

Dx 2010, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 6, 2011 09:32PM ma111 wrote:

IBC is more then red and swollen. I never had fever from it either. Just make sure you get to that appointment!

Dx 8/4/2009, IBC, <1cm, Stage IV, 19/19 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Dec 6, 2011 10:55PM bella76 wrote:

Good luck, I'm thinking because you have a fever it's an infection and not IBC.

Thinking of you{{{HUGS}}} 

Micropapillary BC

Dx 8/2/2011, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, Grade 1, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Dec 7, 2011 02:06AM kathleen1966 wrote:

Could it be cellulitis?  Do you have lymphedema?  I hope you get answers soon.

Dx 7/26/2010, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 4/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+Dx 7/26/2010, Paget's, 1cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 4/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+Dx 7/26/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 4/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+Surgery 08/23/2010 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection, Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Chemotherapy 09/07/2010 carboplatin, TaxotereTargeted Therapy 09/07/2010 HerceptinRadiation Therapy 03/01/2011 External

Dec 7, 2011 02:12AM jennyboog wrote:

I had IBC and never had a fever....hope it's nothing, wishing you the best outcome.

IBC & BRCA1+...Cancer touched my breast, so I kicked it's butt!

Dx 7/28/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIc, Grade 2, 5/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 7, 2011 02:57AM Leah_S wrote:

Liezel, I'm also thinking cellulitis. It's a good thing you have an appointment soon, otherwise it would mean a trip to ER.

Best of luck.

Leah

Dx 11/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 8, 2011 01:37AM Liezel wrote:

I had quite a long appointment yesterday.  Only got out of there just before 5.  They did an US of the breast.  Edema at the top part.  Major fluid build-up from 2 o'clock to about 6 o'clock.  They first thought it might be blood, but they aspirated some and it was clear and thick.  Not silicone so the prostesis is not leaking.  They sent away for blood tests and it came back inclonclusive.  There are white blood cells which does point to an infection but they don't really know what it is.  I am on a course of strong antbiotics and pain killers.  I am seeing them again tomorrow.  They will then decide what to do next, but the doc I saw seemed a bit stumped.

I don't have Lymphedema, but the thought did cross my mind that it might have something to do with the Lymph.  The fluid was very thick, they battled to get a sample with a normal needle.  I will definitely raise it with them tomorrow.

I am still in a lot of pain, waiting for meds to kick in.  It looks as if it might be spreading to the other breast as well, but hopefully the meds will stop it.  Will keep you updated.  Thanks for all the help....

Dx 8/16/2005, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Dec 8, 2011 06:52AM jennyboog wrote:

I'm sorry to hear you had a rough day and are in so much pain.  Let us know how things go, sending you big hugs.

IBC & BRCA1+...Cancer touched my breast, so I kicked it's butt!

Dx 7/28/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIc, Grade 2, 5/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 8, 2011 01:16PM ma111 wrote:

If it were lymph the fluid would be thick and yellow. Glad you saw a doctor and they are seeing you again tomorrow. He is probably consulting with other docs of he was stumped and wanted to see you again tomorrow.

Good luck

Dx 8/4/2009, IBC, <1cm, Stage IV, 19/19 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+