Mar 7, 2012 02:07 PM, edited Mar 7, 2012 02:08 PM by AlieSF
Okay, apologies. It was my first time posting and something crazy happened with the coding. I am going to type this in manually (instead of cut/paste).
I'm in a difficult, decision making place. I've met with my doctors (some of them multiple times) and done quite a bit of research but what I really need at this point is to hear the insights and experiences of people who have been where I am now, so I can incorporate this wisdom into my decision making process Please, if you are able to answer my questions (at the bottom) I would be so thankful to hear what you have to say.
Here's my info: Last July I went in for my first mammogram. A week or two later, I was called back b/c they were having difficulty reading th eimage. I assumed that meant it was poor image quality, but it was b/c my breasts are really "busy" meanig, lots of clutter and density. We got a better picture, and a few weeks after I was brought in for a sonogram guided biopsy. The biopsy turned up papilloma, and so in very early October I went in for an excision. This first excision turned up not a papilloma, but dcis, with inadequate margins. In early December, I went in for my second excision; this second surgery turned up multi-focal dcis, also with inadequate margins.Follwoing that second surgery, I met with all kinds of doctors to discuss my options and I decided to get another lumpectomy and to do a bilateral lift/reduction to give me some symmetry. I then planned to do radiation. Well, my third surgery went well and I am healing beautifully. Unfortunately, my pathology has now come back as positive for invasive (Stage1) cancer.
To sum up: Six months. Three surgeries and a biopsy and each time we find more than we expected. Disturbingly, the invasive cancer turned up on one of my margins that we'd thought was good enough- it was not on the side that was considred inadequate.
I need to decide now to proceed. Another lumpectomy with radiation? Mastectomy with reconstruction, either spacer for future implant, possibly a smaller implant, or a tram flap? Do I go for maximum peace of mind and get a bi-lateral mastectomy with spacers or smaller implants? I have a good list of pros/cons/considerations for each, but if you have made this kind of choice, I would really love to know and would appreaciate you sharing your thoughts/insights, re:
1. What did you choose, and why? Are you happy with the results?
2. Is there anything you know now that you wish you'd known then; is there anything you'd do differently?
Thank you, in advance, for any help you can offer.