We are 144,884 members in 73 forums discussing 114,706 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Alternative Medicine → Topic: Alternative to Arimidex

Topic: Alternative to Arimidex

Forum: Alternative Medicine — This forum is a safe, judgement-free place for Alternative Therapy users and for those wishing to discuss about alternative therapy only. Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment. Please refrain from providing individual medical advice.

Posted on: Jun 19, 2009 12:01AM

wblibrary wrote:

This has probably been discussed before, but I'd like to hear from those who have decided to forego Arimidex and try natural therapies, i.e; iodine, I3C, DIM, etc.  Any information on how effective these treatments are vs. Arimidex would be greatly appreciated! 

Posts 1 - 14 (14 total)

Jun 20, 2009 09:09AM smallworld123 wrote:

I for one will forego Arimidex. I will try and find other natural ways to go. Go to Natural girls and read the threads. Very helpful for me.

Dx 3/27/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, HER2-

Jul 4, 2009 04:03PM wblibrary wrote:

Smallworld - so what exactly are you doing?  I've read Natural girls and I've discussed alternatives with my oncologist and he does not approve.  So I'm curious - what exactly is your routine now? 

Wblibrary

Dx 2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 7, 2011 07:01PM KathleenLa wrote:

Hi Wblibrary:

My oncologist had started me on Arimadex and after 3 pills it upset my stomach and caused nausea.  I stopped it myself and so didn't he.  I did research on D.I.M. and found so much information on it that I'm convinced this is the answer for the cancer to not come back.  D.I.M. metabolizes estrogen, the good and the bad estrogen.  This is something I never knew about and I bet most women don't.  It's an extract of cruifierous veggies, broccoli, cabbage, spinach, brussel sprouts, cauliflower.  I have purchased, also, a juicer and am juicing those veggies along with a couple fruits.  I'd like to not take that awful Aremadex.  I had a conference with my oncologist and showed him the research on D.I.M.  He briefly looked it over, but, is going to do some research on his own.  He never hard of it.  Of course.  I see him May 19th.  I have information from a Dr. Michael Zeligs and he's done much research and trials.  He has his patented supplement called Bio-Response.  

I know your response in this discussion is from 2009.  Hmmm...  I'd like to hear from you to see what you had decided on and how you are doing.  

My email is CntryDnc22@aol.com

Kathleen 

Dx 10/22/2010, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 15, 2011 10:56AM Grayt wrote:

Hello, all.  Well, that's enough Anastrozole for me, thank you!  Nine months.  First six a piece of cake; now every side effect from joint pain & muscle cramps to flashes & sweats to fatigue & depression.  I feel absolutely not human and have no desire for anything, including life.  That many messages from my body can't be wrong!

I was unfamiliar with DIM before finding posts about it here today.  Will definitely read up and discuss with my oncologist next month.  In the mean time, very mindful nutrition, supplements & exercise.

Best -

Dx 10/16/2009, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIb, 3/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 18, 2011 12:37PM Gloria42 wrote:

I've been on Arimidex for more than a year and the side effects have been pretty much disabling.  I am ready to try something else that will stop estrogen production, preferrably something natural.  I have never heard of DIM but am willing to research this.  I would be comfortable not taking Arimidex as long as I know that the alternative is doing the same job.  Any other information out there?

Aug 1, 2011 05:00AM BobbiMarie wrote:

You are the 10th person that has said to go to Natural Girls.  For the life of me I can't find how to search for a topic inside of a forum.  Is there a way to do that?

Dx 5/5/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 10, 2011 06:31AM River_Rat wrote:

Natural Girls is over in the Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment Forum, which is right above the Alternative Forum.

Fear is the highest fence. ~Dudley Nichols

Aug 10, 2011 12:58PM, edited Aug 10, 2011 01:11PM by mollyann

You click SEARCH. Type in DIM. Then open the drop down menu for the complementary forum.

Hundreds of women here are taking DIM. A lot of the well-informed people on Natural Girls left about six months ago.

Just about every naturopath has info on DIM. There is a good one given out by an integrative MD -- the name starts with "brocco." Sorry I can't remember the actual name.

Gloria, it would be one thing if Arimidex had as much survival value as something like surgery. But Arimidex's value is still very shaky. There are three ongoing studies. One study says people live less long on Arimidex, one says people live a little longer, then there is one that is a mess because they kept changing the regimens. There is a video of Dr. Winer from Dana Farber mentioning this.

Look it up. Ask questions. Question authority. Respect other's choices.

Aug 10, 2011 04:25PM Joy_ wrote:

Molly, I thought that study compared Arimidex to Tamoxifen so the benefit was roughly equal to Tamox.  In fact if my memory is right someone from our forum even phoned Dr. Winer to confirm that. The wording "less long" is therefore taken out of context and they should have been more precise in their conclusion.

Aug 10, 2011 08:32PM mollyann wrote:

Somebody emailed Eric Winer but he never provided any documentation. The research is just a mess. If you can locate the three studies, have a look.

Somebody very kindly PMed me one of the slide shows but it's so hard to get a handle on overlapping one medicine with another. Arimidex seems more complicated than any other drug study set up because they keep changing the context.

Arimidex was so promising in the beginning. I think Winer's position is they have to do something and that's all they have. I sure hope it has some benefit after all the suffering people go thru. The worst is the guilt they feel from stopping Arimidex. I don't know remember what percentage stop, do you?

Look it up. Ask questions. Question authority. Respect other's choices.

Aug 11, 2011 07:06AM Joy_ wrote:

Molly, I finally found it, Timothy was the one who contacted him though he doesn't say how. 

I can't get the link to work but it's the OP for the thread "Is there a survival benefit to Aromatase inhibitors? on the Hormonal Therapy forum, dated April 16th 2011.

I can't tell you any more, but searching for Dr Winer may get you the answer. 

Aug 21, 2012 03:50AM, edited Aug 24, 2012 01:39AM by MaryannB

This Post was deleted by MaryannB.

Jan 9, 2013 12:01PM, edited Jan 9, 2013 12:04PM by wblibrary

Just to let you know (be it a little late).  I stopped all AIs about 2 years ago.  I couldn't take the side effects.  I did this against my Oncologist's approval.   I will hit the 5 year mark on October 6th of this year, but so far so good.  I still have a little phantom pain at the site and under the arm, but nothing else to really speak of.   So as far as alternative medicine goes, I'm taking some calcium and glucosamine, along with a Multi-Vitamin everyday.  That's it.  I do stay away from the soy products, but I'm not a fanatic about it.  Fingers crossed I continue to my 5 year mark without any reoccurence.  I wish you all well. 

Wblibrary

Dx 2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 9, 2013 12:22PM robo47 wrote:

That is awesome to hear wbl... Here's looking at Oct 6th !! Thanks for letting us know.

RoBo47

Dx 5/26/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 07/18/2011 Mastectomy (Both)Chemotherapy 09/12/2011 Cytoxan, Taxotere