We are 144,853 members in 73 forums discussing 114,686 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Prayers and Spiritual Inspiration → Topic: Gardening to divert depression

Topic: Gardening to divert depression

Forum: Prayers and Spiritual Inspiration — Words of prayer, healing, and encouragement.

Posted on: Jun 13, 2010 09:31AM

rajkumari wrote:

I have  one  ornamental orange plant in the pot.I pick it up  from the nursery with only leaves. It has 5,6 small oranges. Really beautiful. But It can not be eaten . When I saw it gives real oranges, I  am  so happy. I sit everyday near it  relaxing my mind forgetting the impact  in my life.As there is no flower in my  balcony garden, I have planted only Indoor Plants. But  with inspiration from Meece I have planted  a Liliac plant. It is really nice to join the forum. I get lots of new  things  after joining the  forum which I never had  in my life earlier. Thanks a lot !  Log in to post a reply

Page 7 of 13 (386 results)

Posts 181 - 210 (386 total)

Mar 25, 2012 04:06PM Sherryc wrote:

was watering my plant today and I saw my first actual baby tomatoe.  woohoo

Sherry--lump left breast 9/30/10. No chemo, Zometa-6tx over 3 years.Oncotype score 23 with 14% recurrence rate. 34 rads. No family history, BRCA neg. 48 years old @ diagn. BMX/TE 3/26/2012, Exchange surgery 8/21/12, Revision surgery 11/27/12

Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 05/12/1997 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 09/30/2010 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 12/03/2010 ExternalHormonal Therapy 02/07/2011 TamoxifenSurgery 11/03/2011 Lumpectomy (Right)Surgery 03/26/2012 Mastectomy (Both); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Surgery 08/21/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Surgery 11/27/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)

Mar 25, 2012 06:33PM Maya2 wrote:

Yikes, I'm just beginning to get strawberries. I'm jealous!

Mar 25, 2012 06:38PM MiniMacsMom wrote:

Lol, I am excited that my maters are 4 inches tall and the peas are breakin the surface. No produce yet!

Diagnosis: 10/25/2011, IDC, 9cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 4/15 nodes + Rotter's Node, ER+/P+-, HER2-, BRCA 2+

Mar 25, 2012 09:12PM, edited Mar 25, 2012 09:15PM by Kimberly1961

Saw my first butterfly of the season today and he/she landed on my chest 3 times (I was wearing a shirt with a flower imprint over the chest, ha, ha).  I should have taken him in the house with me.  It's going to get down to 30 tonight and I am not sure they survive that kind of cold. 

Sherry, I'm jealous too.  I will be walking my tomatoes and peppers in and out as the weather cooperates for quite a while yet.  I did see some germination of my beets, teensy little red spots in the soil.  Yay.  Hope they can take a light frost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WbQLNjTuTo

Dx 7/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 26, 2012 02:12AM 3jaysmom wrote:

for my birthday yesterday?? sat.. i got two new planta. a hybrid beuaganvilla DH and jay#2 gave me one thats' a host plant.. gotta look it up, as im not famailar with it.. he got that one, cause it has to be watered everyday, so i'll get up , and take care of it... thanks, i think???hahahahah

3jaysmom

Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIb, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 04/21/2009

Mar 26, 2012 02:50AM rajkumari wrote:

Maya! I am jealous  of your strawberries .. Is it sweet or sour. You know  , our strawberries has sour taste.  Cherie.. what is hibrid bouganvillia DH ? Is it imported from other country ?  I have also planted multiple color in a big tub which I bought  from the nursery last month. They said it will bloom  with four colors.. sounds so good  so I am waiting for it.

snehlata

Dx 3/26/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 26, 2012 01:50PM Blessings2011 wrote:

I think Spring has come and gone here.

Daffodils are gone, most of the blossoms are already off the fruit trees.

I have a question: my uncle sent me some of his prized "Juliet" tomato seeds last fall.

What should I do with them? Daytime temps are crazy - rainy and in the 50s last week, in the 70s for a day or two this week, with rain predicted next week. We are in Zone 8.

I got one of those little set-ups where you can start seeds inside tiny pots. Should I use that?

In other words, try to grow tiny little tomato plants instead of just sprinkling the seeds outside?

We are such virgin gardeners.....Undecided

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 12/05/2011 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Surgery 08/22/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Hormonal Therapy 09/05/2012 ArimidexHormonal Therapy 10/22/2013 Femara

Mar 27, 2012 01:29AM Kimberly1961 wrote:

Blessings, around here we either have to buy the plants or start them ourselves inside, but that is zone 5.  Don't know if you can direct seed in zone 8 with such a long season.  I would lean towards starting them inside and taking advantage of any good weather, taking them outside.  I take mine outside for some direct sun anytime it is over 60 degrees.  I would think you could get them in the ground within a month in your zone, but more experienced zone 8 gardeners will hopefull chime in on this one. I think it would probably make your uncle really happy if you called, thanked him again for his prized seeds, and asked his advice.

Mar 27, 2012 04:46AM 3jaysmom wrote:

hi sneh!!!so good to hear from you.. i found out today, the vine is a passion vine.. has little purple "spiders' on it. im going to try for a pic tommorrow.. the beaugNVILLA is a tropical plant, this one in lightpink/salmon.. hope to get pics soon.. and DH is dear Husband, Murray... have a great day all of you.. oh, our strawberries are so sweet, and juicy here.. best served covered in chocalate!!!

3jaysmom

Mar 27, 2012 08:33AM Maya2 wrote:

Sneh: Bougainvillea is such a versatile planting. They come small enough for hanging baskets and large enough to cover much of a house. It's used a lot in Arizona where I spent my teens. But, they are native to South America: Brasil, Peru, Argentina. I love the colours!

My strawberries are sweet, sweet. But won't be ready to eat for another month, sigh.

Mar 28, 2012 05:00AM 3jaysmom wrote:

hi maya 2!!! good to see you here..

i know im paranoid, but i found bco on facebook, and don't want my face anywhere near facebook.. so, here's my newest 3 jays...

your'e right about the beauganvilla, maya.. this one is not pink, not peach, but somewhere in between. i'll take a pic somewhere between the raindrops tommorrow..

i found out the other is called "passion vine" now, for years, i have been told the other vine i have for butterflies is passion vine, but it has little yellow flowers, and not too often.. mr "google" will have to do some more research for me!!!   3jays

3jaysmom

Mar 28, 2012 12:07PM Kimberly1961 wrote:

Unknown animal, probably squirrel, made a mess out of the soft soil in my vegetable seed bed.  I'm sure something will still come up, just not like I  had it laid out.  Tch, Tch, 

Mar 29, 2012 12:34PM Maya2 wrote:

Hello 3jays. BC.org doesn't have to ask permission to use our photos or words. It's in the agreement that we all accepted when we joined. Everything we say, anything we post belongs to BC.org. So we are definitely not alone. You, better than anyone, know how paranoid I am about identity, etc. Therefore, I try not to say anything of particular value and never post pictures that I have taken. And, yes, I stay far, far away from FB. The whole thing is kind of depressing, but then, I'm on the right thread for that. Undecided

Can't wait to see your flower pics. Bougainvillea is so beautiful. In Arizona where rain is scare, it can be grown on a trellis and trained into lovely shapes. In climates with more rain, it can grow into a monster. I haven't looked in garden centres, but there is probably a dwarf variety by now.

Kimberly, you're likely right. It will come up anyway, but not in the straight rows you probably sowed. I always plant one for the capricious weather, one for the squirrels, birds, caterpillars, et al, and one for me. It usually works out to my having a few bites. Laughing

Mar 30, 2012 02:16AM Kimberly1961 wrote:

Maya, that's how my strawberries are.  I may get one before the birds or the rabbits, if I am fast and very watchful.  That's OK.  I have a neighbor that has fences around just about everything, and that works.  I agree with you, plant one for weather, one for critters, and one for me to get a taste.  I grow many beautiful flowers, perennials, annuals, containers, hangers, but I sure did have a thrill the first time I pulled a potato out of the ground.  First try was such a bust.

For any seed growers, flowers or vegetables, I have re-used my organic spinach containers, kind of ham-shaped deep vessels.  I start seeds in it with the lid on to retain moisture.  When the plants grow taller, I use an identical size spinach container upside down on top with one rubber band to keep it from blowing off in the wind, and it is a self-heating hot house to put out on cool but sunny days.  They love the terrarium moisture and heat.  For my tomato plants, because they are tall,, I put them in a rubbermaid container when I take them out and seal a clear plastic bag around the rubbermiad container.  Again, terrarium hot house, full sun, high temperature, way earlier than my zone 5.  I love spring.  I really do.  I love growing things.  Good luck to all of you ladies, whatever you grow.

Mar 31, 2012 09:32AM TwoHobbies wrote:

I am so jealous of those seeing tomatos and stuff growing.  I can't wait for tomatos.  Our spring is about 5 weeks early so I'm going to plant my garden a little earlier than usual. 

I have had strawberries in pots for the last three years because if I keep them close enough to the house, the birds and squirrels stay away.  I would like to put them in the ground but will definitely need a cage of some type. 

3jays I have seen those passion flowers.  They seem beautiful.  It looks like it would not be guaranteed in my zone however.  And ladies I adore bougainvillea.  I got married under the bougainvillea.  I wish I could grow that one too. One year I had it in a hanging basket.  Maybe I'll see if I can do that. 

I am looking for a suggestion on a vine to replace a clematis that I don't like.  I am zone 5, it is a south-facing and sunny spot.  If anyone has thoughts, let me know. 

Round 1 -bmx, tug flap reconstruction, tamoxifen. Local Recurrence-excision, TCx4, radiation, Zoladex, Anastrazole.

Dx 2/22/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 4/25/2013, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 31, 2012 11:47PM, edited Apr 1, 2012 04:31PM by Sherryc

Had surgery on Monday and came home Wed today was the first day I went out to my garden and I think everything has double since last Sunday.  I now have 4 tomatoes on the vines.

Sherry--lump left breast 9/30/10. No chemo, Zometa-6tx over 3 years.Oncotype score 23 with 14% recurrence rate. 34 rads. No family history, BRCA neg. 48 years old @ diagn. BMX/TE 3/26/2012, Exchange surgery 8/21/12, Revision surgery 11/27/12

Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 05/12/1997 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 09/30/2010 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 12/03/2010 ExternalHormonal Therapy 02/07/2011 TamoxifenSurgery 11/03/2011 Lumpectomy (Right)Surgery 03/26/2012 Mastectomy (Both); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Surgery 08/21/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Surgery 11/27/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)

Apr 1, 2012 12:09AM, edited Apr 1, 2012 12:28AM by bedo

rajkumari Your posts are so beautiful.  I live in a cabin on the side of a house that was built in the 1800s.  I have no garden so I have a plot at the Community Organic Garden.  We have about 100 plots. We all get together to share recipes and pot lucks from our gardens and help those that need it.  The extras we give to the church.  It has been very warm this winter so soon I will plant lettuce, and other early plants  Last summer I had tomatoes, peas, beans, squash, radishes, and other plants.  On my desk at work I have an "Ice Cube Orchid"  It needs 3 ice cubes a week for water.  It has bloomed a long time but now some of the beautiful flowers are drooping.  It's color is light lilac with dark purple spots.  I know that it can't bloom forever, and I will have to find out how to care for it next when it goes into it's next cycle without flowers.  It's sad that it has stopped blooming, but it will come back I hope.   Everyone has commented on it's beauty. It makes me happy! I'm so glad to hear from someone so far away who has the same feelings!  :)  I wish you the best with your balcony plants!
Dx 6/17/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 1, 2012 11:10AM TwoHobbies wrote:

Bedo, I never heard the term "ice cube" orchid, but it looks like its a phalaenopsis?  I have one of those and its so easy to care for.  It will rebloom but it may take a few months.  Don't get discouraged and throw it out.  Mine sits on a table near a south-facing window but not in direct light.  I water it once a week with the kitchen sprayer and let it drain out and then put it back on the table.  That is the only care I give it and I've had it for 4 1/2 years. 

Round 1 -bmx, tug flap reconstruction, tamoxifen. Local Recurrence-excision, TCx4, radiation, Zoladex, Anastrazole.

Dx 2/22/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 4/25/2013, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 1, 2012 05:55PM, edited Apr 1, 2012 06:16PM by bedo

Twohobbies.

Here is a link.

http://blog.justaddiceorchids.com/Just-Add-Ice-Orchid-Blog/bid/50361/How-to-Care-for-Orchids-Ice-Cube-Watering-Specifics

I have no idea what I'm doing. Please help!  It is on my desk with bright overhead lights. and some of the flowers are starting to wilt after 3 weeks  :(  There are no real windows, but the garden person at Stop and Shop said it would be OK with overhead lights.

Here is a picture of it. Wow, that was hard to find!  It is a picture of an orchid similair to mine, but with spots that are deeper than the purple background.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=purple+orchids+meaning&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADFA_enUS372&biw=1280&bih=544&tbm=isch&tbnid=falU-_NJTI2XlM:&imgrefurl=http://www.overstock.com/Gifts-Flowers/Valentines-Day-Pre-order-Potted-Purple-Orchid/4613228/product.html&docid=wDmKE4XO1Q0b6M&imgurl=http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/P12370398.jpg&w=250&h=250&ei=wtJ4T7SyKcqv0AHN_-WmDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=972&vpy=226&dur=1578&hovh=200&hovw=200&tx=79&ty=219&sig=112248261364322608998&page=4&tbnh=163&tbnw=162&start=43&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:43

Dx 6/17/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 1, 2012 07:14PM, edited Apr 1, 2012 07:17PM by TwoHobbies

Interesting way to water it.  I would have never thought of that but its slow release and a controlled amount.  Clever.  Generally the blooms tend to last a long time, but if you bought it three weeks ago it may have already been blooming for a while.  The petals eventually dry up and fall off.  I cut off the old shoot and keep watering it once a week and eventually you'll see a new shoot coming up.  Stake it when it is long enough and soon you'll have blooms.  

IMine is getting indirect natural light, but of course not every day is sunny.  I'm not sure how that translates to overhead lights but if it doesn't bloom again, move it somewhere else and see if that helps.  I've heard you should sometimes fertilize it with a weak fertilizer, but I've never done that, nor have I ever re-potted it.  Mine seems to be happy with very little care.  

There are so many pretty ones.  I bet yours is lovely.   

Apr 2, 2012 07:35AM rajkumari wrote:

Hi ! Maya , Cherie,  good  to  be together  here  ! You know I never thought  of my post liking by  others. But   the numbers are increasing  .. this is  wonderful . I am so happy to know that it works atleast.

Hi bedo ! nice to see you here .. the north eastern part of India  is famous  of  different varieties of orchidsin thousands . I would like  to see  "ice cube orchid" as I nver heard about it.

snehlata

Apr 2, 2012 12:32PM Blessings2011 wrote:

Kimberly - I did write my uncle and ask for his expert advice on how to plant his prize tomato seeds. Of course, he's in Indiana, and I'm in California, but I believe he said he took classes to become a Master Gardener a while back, and every summer, his back yard is like a mini-farm!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Last week we dug up and tossed out (gave to gardener to mulch) three huge hopseed bushes that had gotten too big, toppled over, and died.

This week, DH dug up and moved two young birch trees to a better location; now we have a grove of them outside a bedroom window.

Next, we'll take all the skinny Japanese Maples that we got from my brother's house,and make a line of them along the back fence. I just love looking at them - the way the leaves change color and move....so soothing!

Got some GORGEOUS peony plants from the nursery a few days ago! After being in this house for 7 years, and having EVERY landscaper tell me I did NOT want peonies (?????) I got some! Sure, their blooming time is short, but worth it.

Two years ago we got a bag of peony bulbs from Costco.Planted them exactly to directions. Nothing. Zip. Zero. Nada. Now that I bought the expensive plants from the nursery, we've noticed the tiny red leaves poking up from where the bulbs were planted. Guess I'll have my peonies!!

Also - a few years ago, I noticed some old boxes of flower seeds (from the Dollar Store) on a shelf in the garden shed. Our yard was so large, and so naked at the time, I just scattered the seeds everywhere. Nothing came up, and I figured they were too old. But now, I've got mounds and mounds of flowers I can't even identify! Stuff is coming up everywhere....looks pretty, too.

I especially LOVE the California poppies.

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 12/05/2011 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Surgery 08/22/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Hormonal Therapy 09/05/2012 ArimidexHormonal Therapy 10/22/2013 Femara

Apr 3, 2012 02:28AM rajkumari wrote:

This chilli species only found in my place is very very hot . I have grown 5  nos which will provide me  enough  quantity for the year round.

snehlata

Apr 3, 2012 04:32AM Kimberly1961 wrote:

Blessings, Funny about those peonies coming up late. Same thing happened to me with lilies of the valley.  It showed no signs of being alive and taking the first year, so I planted something else.  Of course then it came up like crazy the second year.  I love groundcover under trees.  If grass won't grow, then how much better to have a beautiful groundcover.  Blue vinca in bloom in spring in my front yard with the tulips and hyacinth, and uhhhn, lots of lillie of the valley will be coming a little later.  Now why would your landscaper be dissing' the peonies.  I have a couple of deep purple, can't remember the cultivar, but lovely, and some singles that have blooms the size of a dinner plate.  The only problem I have is that they bloom during season that has hard rainstorms.  Often the bearded iris and the peonies take a beating from those storms just when they peak, but that is just my locale.  Glad your peonies finally came up.  Funny how they do that. 

A friend of mine recently passed.  Do any of you plant things in remembrance?  A close friend's mother recently passed.  She was Irish and had the most beautiful red hair.  I wish I could put in a climbing rose with orange, peach, or apricot shades.  I think most of the hardy climbers are red or yellow.  I am going to have to look and cross my fingers I can find something,

I planted a climbing rose for my mother on mother's day one year and despite my sister poor gasoline on it one year (don't even ask).....it's there 25 years later.  Climbing roses must be awful sturdy.

Apr 3, 2012 04:44PM Blessings2011 wrote:

rajkumari - those are some great looking chiles!!!! Do you have any special recipes you make?

Kimberly - We dug up a few pieces of blue vinca from our property in the mountains, and planted it around the rocks of our waterfall here in town. It's taken over!!!! Looks very pretty under the large Japanese maples. I agree with you - love the look of groundcover under trees.

My mom always sent azalea plants to funeral and memorial services, so that's what I plant in memory of loved ones. Of course, at 110 degrees here in the Valley, not many survive, so I probably should choose something else. At our timeshare in Laguna Beach,  I had them plant an "April In Paris" rosebush in memory of my brother's partner who passed. (They gave us their timeshare.) They had just been to Paris.

For a wedding present, our friends arranged to send us three bareroot rosebushes that arrived in winter, and it was a surprise to see how beautiful they were when they finally bloomed the following spring!

I saw the most gorgeous climbing rose at the nursery last year called "Candy Land". Here's a pic and a description:

The lovely Candy Land was introduced last year and is already proving to be one of the best new climbers! Just imagine a large climbing rose with gorgeous hybrid tea-shaped blossoms blooming in huge, showy clusters! Now, add colors that give 'eye candy' a whole new meaning - swirls of impetuous pink spun with creamy ivory and yellow. To enhance the blooms even more, this rose has some of the most gorgeous glossy foliage you have ever seen, with long canes growing from 10'- 15' tall. Another pleasant surprise, Candy Land's blooms are apple scented and contain around 25 petals each, and continues to bloom throughout the growing season. Extremely disease resistant and low maintenance, Candy Land grows well in zones 5b - 9b. PLANT PATENT #19,776

Apr 3, 2012 06:09PM Wren44 wrote:

Kimberly, Go to Heirloom Roses in Oregon. They have a climber called the Impressionist which blooms in 3-4 shades of apricot, pink, and yellow at the same time. Beautiful and very sturdy. We visited their nursery once while in the area. They had huge fences of the Impressionist planted around their store.

Dx 11/11/2011, IDC, <1cm, stage 1b, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-/HER2-. Lumpectomy and SNB 1/4/12. Reexcision for better margins found 2nd IDC >1cm, stage 1b, grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-. Mastectomy 2/22/12. Arimidex.

Apr 3, 2012 11:18PM Blessings2011 wrote:

Oh, Wren - is it this place?

http://www.heirloomroses.com/roses.html?cat=7&limit=all

I was also intrigued by the "Joseph's Coat" rose, but so many of them - including the "Impressionist"  are gorgeous!

Apr 4, 2012 12:37AM Wren44 wrote:

Blessings, Yes, that's it. They are very reputable and have good service. Nice sturdy plants.

Dx 11/11/2011, IDC, <1cm, stage 1b, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-/HER2-. Lumpectomy and SNB 1/4/12. Reexcision for better margins found 2nd IDC >1cm, stage 1b, grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-. Mastectomy 2/22/12. Arimidex.

Apr 4, 2012 02:39AM Kimberly1961 wrote:

Thank you ladies, I will be rose shopping to plant something in remembrance of Kathy. Thank you so much for your tips.

Apr 4, 2012 11:59AM Sherryc wrote:

I just went outside to check on my garden and it is amazing how good it is doing.

Page 7 of 13 (386 results)