We are 144,825 members in 73 forums discussing 114,666 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Reconstruction → Topic: Saline implants/Rippling

Topic: Saline implants/Rippling

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Nov 6, 2007 07:29PM, edited Nov 6, 2007 07:29PM by determinedmom

determinedmom wrote:

Had my exchange 4 wks. ago after dbl mast w/ expanders, DCIS, had saline implants. They are starting to settle and 'rippling' on top and now on the side, not noticeable w/ a really good bra. My PS said she could go bigger when she does nipple reconstruct Nov. 15, but can't guarantee it would change 'rippling'. Any input/suggestions?

Thanx - we are all wonderful women and offer such great support/encouragement.
Jeanne

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Nov 6, 2007 08:09PM Rocktobermom wrote:

No, sorry, I am going to make an appointment with my ps because of the rippling. I am wanting to re-do it with tissue and maybe a small implant to match my other breast.  I have got a fold near the bottom and it's not in the right place!!

When life hands you a lemon, ask for some tequila and salt to go with it!

Nov 7, 2007 05:06PM rubytuesday wrote:

Silicone (and I believe high profile) is supposed to be better for less rippling.  Best wishes!

Proud member of the TaTa Sisterhood! :)

Nov 7, 2007 05:19PM LiveForToday wrote:

Hi Jeanne,

I too have saline medium profile implants and I have slight rippling only on my left side in the clevage area. However, I have heard some with silicone having rippling also. We just don't have tissue between the implant and skin to keep rippling from happening. 

My ps suggested that I exchange for silicone. I don't think anyone will ever notice but I may in the near future exchange for silicone.  We will see....

Huggs,  Sherry

I will stand my ground...and I won't back down

Nov 7, 2007 06:50PM determinedmom wrote:

Thanx for the comments, however, I was having one of those days - actually had silicone implants after saline filled expanders. Posted again, but please feel free to respond to either.

Jeanne

Dx 5/26/2007, DCIS, Stage 0, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-

Nov 7, 2007 07:18PM Beesie wrote:

I have silicone and have some rippling near the top.  Sometimes it's noticeable, sometimes it's not - it depends on how I move my chest muscle.  I think my PS said that the rippling is because I have very thin skin.  She said there's not much that we can do about it. My bra hides it so I don't worry about it.

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Nov 7, 2007 07:22PM twink wrote:

I also have silicone and have some rippling in certain positions, like when I'm lying down.  I don't know how the PS can fix this.  The implants sit under the chest muscle so there is tissue between the implant and the skin.

If you can't be kind, have the decency to be vague.

Nov 16, 2007 09:14AM Savgirl wrote:

The rippling is one reason my plastic surgeon uses post-operative fillable permanent implants.  Mine are round saline permanent implants which were put in after the expanders came out.  As the swelling went down and a SMALL amount of rippling occurred, he could "tweak" the implants a bit and alleviate the ripples.  I just had the tiny port/tubes removed in a 20 minute procedure and am so happy that the ripples are gone, and I am complete except for nipples.  It's a little more trouble, but the post-op fillables do give the surgeon the opportunity to get things perfect.  He did a great job of making me symmetrical after my bilat.  I know my implants are by mentor.

Dec 23, 2007 03:59AM catwoman wrote:

I had a bilateral also and 5 weeks ago had the expanders removed and saline implants put in. The rippling in the left one started last week and the right one started today. I've never heard of the post operative fillable implants. Where do I get more info. I think these are going to get worse not better as I can even see a difference since this morning. Thanks

Dec 24, 2007 10:07PM LooLoo wrote:

Has anyone heard of using a layer of alloderm between the skin and implant to improve/ alleviate rippling? Thanks.