We are 144,984 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Reconstruction → Topic: Mild Pain-Tightness with Implants ?

Topic: Mild Pain-Tightness with Implants ?

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Oct 15, 2008 09:04AM, edited Oct 15, 2008 09:09AM by Dejaboo

Dejaboo wrote:

I had my Exchange 3+ weeks ago.   I was looking forward to getting rid of the painful expanders...Except at the end of the expansion...Id say my New Implants are as uncomfortable as the expanders were. Frown

With my Expanders towards the end- there were hours in the day that I forgot I had them.

I have not felt that once with the implants- My Chest is always tight & uncomfortable.

I am not happy with my Implant Placement to begin with- And I am trying not to think about them during the day (that is another thread)  But having a tight to painful feeling all day long makes it very hard not to think of them.

When I 1st get up in the morning- that 1st stand out of bed.  I can feel the implants settling & it is very painful.

The rest of the day I have like a figure 8 Band around my implants on my chest that feels like a tight wire.   I also get a squeezing feeling off & on all day- Like someone is squeezing my implants.

If I use my Arms or Arm Muscles for anything- Then I really get the pain on my chest.  I am not avoiding using my arms at all- so I get that alot.

I have tried massage- Thinking I could loosen up the pockets & make them less tight.  But my Implants hardly have any room for movement in the pockets.  My implants are almost as hard as the expanders- It hurts to hug someone or bump them.

It would make me feel better to know that others are or have experienced this.

I am beginning to think the pain & uncomfortable feeling will never go away.

Pam

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Oct 15, 2008 10:55AM Looneymom wrote:

Hi Pam - we have had some prev. chat on forum because of bilat mast and expander - I still have mine due to rads.  I am also exper. same tightness with rad side - more infor look on thread Breast Reconst - Massage Therapy.  They are discussing about scar tissue build up.  I would still check with your PS.  Mine sent me to PT before rads and I learned a little about scar tissue etc...they also pasted web site http://www.advanced-art.com/Breast-Aug-Massage.htm that shows massage.  Read but check with your PS before you do anything.  Hope you feel better in time.  Hugs to you.

Holly

bi mastectomy w/expanders 6/3/08 DCIS with micro invasion of IDC * Rads 10/08. Exchange TE to Gummy Implants Dec 10, 2010

Dx 5/6/2008, IDC, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-

Oct 15, 2008 12:55PM Dejaboo wrote:

Thanks Holly,

I have been reading the Massage thred.

I did not have Rads so that cant be causing my Tightness.

My PS  Fired Me!   As he is not happy that I am not happy with my Look.  I guess his Ego is too big.

But right now I have no PS to see or ask.

Pam

Dx 3/7/2008,DCIS, IDC-1.2mm, Stage tIA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-,HER2+,Lump/SNB-4/1/08, Bilat 5/22/08, EX 9/22/08, PFO & ASA heart Closure 12/29/08, 7/09-RAVH, 11/09-NOLA-SGAP-to fix Symmastia! Stage2 4/2010, Stage2B 11/2010, Truncal & Arm LE

Oct 15, 2008 05:33PM Looneymom wrote:

Hey - I know you don't want to have surgery right now - but my PS recep.  in his office told me the story of how "our" PS re-did her implants - and also her mothers.  They had both had  cancer and bi-mast out of state where they had lived and other problems with implants . He has fixed them both. .  Wow, I never would have  guessed by looking she had implants - they were big, showing some cleavage with snug shirt - I usually can tell implants but her's were really good job. The same PS told me  that  if your keep insurance you more or less have free maintenance for the rest of your life. (he knows nothing of  co-pays & deductibles)  There are lots of good PS - out there, mine gets most of his non-cancer work by word of mouth from the nurses at the hospital.  He has or is doing non cancer boob jobs on may local hospital nurses.  There is hope, I think insurance has to pay to get it fixed - as in description to make it look as natural as your own breast.  Keep you chin up - there is hope!

Holly

bi mastectomy w/expanders 6/3/08 DCIS with micro invasion of IDC * Rads 10/08. Exchange TE to Gummy Implants Dec 10, 2010

Dx 5/6/2008, IDC, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-

Oct 15, 2008 05:41PM Dejaboo wrote:

thanks Holly.

I would love to have them fixed.   I would have surgery again tomorrow if I could find a ps to do them.  But They will all say wait- at least 3 months...So then I will probably have to have my heart surgery 1st.  Id prefer to get my Implants fixed 1st....I will just play it by ear for now...Maybe I will try to call some more ps next week & see if anyone would considerer doing surgery sooner...I have a Vacation planned at the end of Nov...Its kind of gettign in the way of things too.Yell

Pam

Dx 3/7/2008,DCIS, IDC-1.2mm, Stage tIA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-,HER2+,Lump/SNB-4/1/08, Bilat 5/22/08, EX 9/22/08, PFO & ASA heart Closure 12/29/08, 7/09-RAVH, 11/09-NOLA-SGAP-to fix Symmastia! Stage2 4/2010, Stage2B 11/2010, Truncal & Arm LE

Oct 15, 2008 06:09PM Beesie wrote:

I'm so sorry that you are having these problems.  It's not that unusual though.  We all react to the implants differently.  Some women have no feeling of tightness as soon as they have their exchange surgery while other women have a lot of tightness for quite a while.  Chances are that over time your muscles will adjust and loosen up a bit, but you may still get that tight feeling every so often.  I'm over 2 years since my exchange surgery and I still get the tight feeling sometimes.  There can be weeks when I don't notice a thing, and then suddenly it will start up.  Sometimes it's because I did something strenuous with my muscle, but then I could do the same thing another time and not have any reaction.  And sometimes I don't know why it starts up.  I've just determined that my muscle will do what it wants to do when it wants to do it.  Sometimes it acts up, sometimes it behaves.  And I didn't have rads either.  There was another thread with discussion about this recently - continuing to feel tightness on and off is quite common.

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Oct 15, 2008 07:31PM levy wrote:

I have two expanders in and I have my exchange next week.  My PS is concerned with the radiated side.  They are uncomfortable because mostly of the radiated side.  I do have concerns about infection and lopsidedness on that side.  I sure know what tightness feels like.  Massage feels great for that.  I do it in the shower with shower gel.  Anyone know success stories with an exchange on a radiatd breast?

Oct 15, 2008 11:53PM AnneW wrote:

Hey, Pam, it took mine a while to feel reasonable, but they still feel heavy after 6 months. You could also be experiencing some nerve-related pain. I think this happens way more often than anyone talks about, but when you look at the anatomy of the breast, and how retractors hold tissue apart during surgery, it's amazing more people don't have problems.

Your PS firing you is most likely a blessing in disguise.

It's funny how we look at ourselves after surgery. Today I met up with a friend who had bilats done two years ago (she hated the first outcome with saline, then had silicone put in.) She's miserable about the scars and some fibrosis. I thought she looked fabulous!! I've been unhappy with size and this "shelf" over the top, yet she thinks mine look great, even without nipples yet. And we're not the type to tell each other lies for the sake of vanity. But we had totally differeing opinions about ourselves.

Maybe living with the new girls a little while longer is smart. Massage them, try to loosen them up, give them time to settle. They change a lot over the course of a few months. Try to be ptient and kind to yourself. You've got a lot on your plate right now.

Anne

2002 IDC stage 1, grade 1, rads & AI

Dx 9/18/2007, ILC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 16, 2008 12:24AM rockwell_girl wrote:

Pam I hope things get better for both of us

as I put out on a thread my implants are almost hard

I can barely push my chest in a inch let alone move the whole implant several inches like that video shows

the weird thing also I didn't really have the pain a lot of you ladies had with the expander but feel it now with the implant

as some said I sure hope this gets better

on the positive side it looks good so I'm happy about that : - )

Sandy/Sunshine : )

Dx 3/4/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 16, 2008 12:55AM karen1956 wrote:

My chest seems to feel tight as the day goes on - like late afternoon and evening.  They feel tight towards the arm pits. All the best to you.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Dx 2/2/2006, ILC, Stage IIIa, Grade 1, 8/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 03/01/2006 Mastectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Right); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Chemotherapy 03/22/2006 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxotereRadiation Therapy 07/27/2006 ExternalSurgery 10/19/2006 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)