We are 144,765 members in 73 forums discussing 114,531 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Reconstruction → Topic: Scar tissue/with Diep?

Topic: Scar tissue/with Diep?

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Jan 24, 2009 09:23AM

nobleanna007 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I just got back from meeting with my new PS. Even though I thought we covered all topics. I then went to my SurgeonOnc. and had appointment with her the next day. When I had my exam she noticed alot of scar tissue in my one remaining expander which has gotten harder and at times painful but not constant. It then of course after I left the light bulb finally went off in my pea brain. I do grow scar tissue which I know we all do but it has caused me to have 2 arm surgeries because it grew so fast. When I had one of my expanders taken out I remember my PS saying I had alot of scar tissue for it being in only a month. So now I am scared that if I move forth to the surgery I want Diep what will happen will I grow scar tissue in huge amounts in my stomache and my breasts will they all get painful and need more and more surgery. I just don't want to go through this huge surgery and have a huge chance of this happening again and again. Has any one have had a scar tissue issue with this type of surgery??? And if you did what did they do for you.

Thanks -Bridget

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Jan 24, 2009 01:46PM Trishia wrote:

I get really bad scar tissue too, but I am not too worried about the DIEP.  Part of the reason it is so bad with implants is that it is a foreign object in your body.  At least that is what the last PS I saw for my rippling/contracture told me. 

I would call the PS and visit with him about it.  I plan on asking about mine as well.  I just don't seem to get the nice thin scar lines either.  

Jan 24, 2009 07:05PM nobleanna007 wrote:

Thanks Trishia,

I would not be to worried but I ended up with 2 ulnar nerve surgeries due to severe scar tissue problems. So I am a little worried what my PS is going to say. I really hope your PS will tell you good news. I can't wait to get this expander out!!!! One way or another. I just can't see myself with nothing but it may have to happen.

HUGS-Bridget

Dx 11/11/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 5/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 25, 2009 01:13AM Suze wrote:

Bridge, I guess we are all different, but the fear of 'nothing' was much worse than the reality of it.

I bought some great prostheses, and when I wear them, you would just never know. I can't wear them at the moment b.c of the infection (everything still too sore), and it does feel a bit odd when I first arrive places ( work meetings, dinner last night, supermarket) but I get used to it really quickly and just forget about it.

I think it would be harder with one, honestly.. 

PBM w immediate implant recon Sept 08; infection 10 days following exchange; delayed SIEA April 2010

Dx 9/1/2008, LCIS, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes

Jan 25, 2009 06:12AM TammyLou wrote:

My best understanding is that scar tissue is the body's own natural response to foreign objects.

I certainly think that you need to voice your concerns to the plastic surgeon, but I wouldn't think that it would be the same thing...since this is your own tissue.

Tammy Lou

Jan 25, 2009 11:58AM SandyinSoCal wrote:

Bridget, there are some things that may help reduce any scar tissue formed.

Proper wound care--follow your doctor's instructions and don't use products not recommended.

Notify your doctor at the first signs of any infection in the wound.

Avoid putting stress on the incision during the early healing period, because that can stretch a scar and widen it.

Silicone sheets are used at the hospital near me, which has a large and highly-respected burn unit.

Avoid sunlight on the area of the incision for at least a year.

Massage after completely healed, with a good lotion or oil to avoid friction on the skin.

Scars can be treated with steroid injections or laser treatments.

If you haven't experienced unusually scarring prior to the expanders, I wouldn't worry about your upcoming DIEP.   I've met several ladies who had a lot of scar formation when they had implant reconstruction, and they have not had the same problem after DIEP.  After my stage I,  I had a complication in my abdomen (a seroma that never drained) and formed a bunch of scar tissue, but it was removed during my second surgery and I'm fine now.

I am wonderfully made to do ExtraOrdinary things! (www.girleo.com)

Dx 5/22/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 25, 2009 12:40PM nobleanna007 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the kind words,

I guess I am just a nervous nelley but this is such a big deal for me emotionally and physically. I just don't know how much more my body can take. I have plenty of time to get myself in shape and am truly going to work on it. I guess I will just wait to see from my PS what he thinks we should do. I am almost tempted to exchange for a implant on that side. How crazy is that!! I am just not thining right. I guess I figure if the implant scars up ftr he scrapes the scar tissue there now then I will have my answer. I am just not up to a 10 hr. surgery and find myself keep going back to have revisions. It did make me feel better to know there is other ways to takecare of scar tissue and other ladies have not had the problems that they had with implants. Thats my biggest concern. I also have to have surgery done on my BC side a ulnar nerve tendon and carpal tunnel, I am scared with that due to mild lymphedema on that side the list just gets longer. Will it ever end!!!

Thanks again everyone,

Bridget

Dx 11/11/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 5/28 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+