We are 144,874 members in 73 forums discussing 114,700 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Reconstruction → Topic: breast reconstruction with implants after unilateral mastectomy

Topic: breast reconstruction with implants after unilateral mastectomy

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Dec 20, 2009 06:24AM

zoegr wrote:

I will have unilateral mastectomy in a few days. My problem is that i want to achieve symmetry as much as possible with the good breast, so i have asked to my PS to do something with breast also. He said that since my good breast hasn't sag much the only thing that needs is a 2 cm lift which he will do it with a crescent lift (on the upper part of aerola). He could also put a small implant instead of lift, because with the implant the breast is lifted slightly and doesn't need any more lift.

My problem is that i don't know what to choose. I was thinking if it's better to choose the implant since i don't have much volume in the upper part of my breast and with an implant will give me some volume there. I don't want one breast to look fake like a ball and the other totaly natural.

I would like to ask

1)if there is someone of you that had the same problem and what procedure have you done and how was the result and

2) anyone had the reconstruction of your good breast at the same time of mastectomy and reconstruction of the other one or is it better to have the reconstruction of good breast in later date when the other one has already settle in position.

Posts 1 - 13 (13 total)

Dec 20, 2009 09:41AM debintn749 wrote:

I am scheduled for right side rebuild on Jan 18. I hava big boobie left. PS says he wants to see what the rebuild side looks like before he matches the real one. So he will fill me til we agree on it, and then match the real side. If he were to do the real side first, implant side may not match, cause you never know what the new side is gonna do, how its gonna lay etc. So Im gonna have to be a magicial to dress myself as I go thru these stages to make both sides match while I wait til exchange. BUT we will get thru it sister

DebbieDarts

Dx 8/24/2009, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+

Dec 20, 2009 04:37PM rubytuesday wrote:

I had a unilateral with an expander placed at the time of my mast.  When I had my exchange, I had a slight lift with augmentation (implant) on my good side and exchange on my recon side.  I needed the upper pole filled out as I was slightly deflated from breast feeding....didn't notice it until then .....LOL.  I have a very good match.  My surgery was 3 years ago.  I also chose to go bigger so I needed an implant on my good side too.  HTH

Proud member of the TaTa Sisterhood! :)

Dec 21, 2009 01:19AM Renata wrote:

I had a single left mastectomy in May, 2008, I couldn't have immediate reconstruction because the doctors said it would delay the chemotherapy so... in May this year I had the reconstruction: I had the expander put in and a small implant added to my right breast, then after the fills I had the exchange of the expander for the implant in November. The match is fairly good. The mast side looks weirder than fake but it is because there is no nipple (yet?), other than that the outcome is satisfactory. Two of the 3 PS's I consulted with, advised no lift for me since my breast was not saggy, my upper pole was also a bit deflated and with the small implant it looks better now. I was worried about having my right breast augmented because I absolutely didn't want to go bigger (I'm a small woman and my  A cup breasts were perfect for me). I'm sorry that you're facing such decisions and wish you the best of luck...

Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 21, 2009 02:38AM zoegr wrote:

Girls thank you for your replies. I think that these who have an implant in the good side have better result. Breasts match better. Is that true? Especially for me that i don't have much upper pole fullness.

Dx 11/23/2009, DCIS, 6cm+, Grade 3, 2/13 nodes, ER-, HER2+

Dec 21, 2009 03:22PM rubytuesday wrote:

Yes, I think the implant in the good side does help with symmetry.  Best wishes

Dec 22, 2009 10:02AM roseg wrote:

I'd do the implant over the lift if it's an option. You can use the extra fullness.

Rose

Dec 22, 2009 01:08PM jane1254 wrote:

I had a reduction, which of course had a lift element done 2 weeks ago at the same time as my unilateral Mx.  I also had immediate recon. with TE.  The reason the PS wanted to do the lift and reduction at the same time is that he felt it would give the natural breast time to settle before the exchange in March.

Jane 

Dx 11/19/2009, DCIS, Stage 0, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+

Dec 22, 2009 02:03PM mjs wrote:

I did the same in Oct. So far so good but no sensation of the nipple and areola on the side with the lift/reducion. If it is not back by now ( 7 weeks) is it gone forever?

meri

Dx 9/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 23, 2009 04:24AM zoegr wrote:

I have just talk to my PS, he said that it's more difficult to have symmetry with one procedure only, but if they can do it, they do it so the woman doesn't have to go through many surgeries. I told him that the only thing i want is to have the best symmetry possible and i don't mind if i have more surgeries. I have also send him one site of reconstructed breasts that i liked very much and i would like something similar (size, shape) if possible.

Check out this site, i really like this result, but i don't like the nipple because it looks different colour.

www.breastplasticsurgery-sc.com/breastphotos_pages/breastrecon_29143.htm

Dec 24, 2009 05:59PM mawhinney wrote:

I had a unilateral mastectomy and immediate expander placed.  After 3 fills, I had an implant exchange and at the same time a lift with a small implant on my good side. Later I had a c-v nipple flap and then tattoing of the areola. 

What a PS can and can not do is based on the condition of your skin & underlying muscle, your body build, how your body reacts to the surgery, and if you have or have not had radiation and chemo. I was unable to pull up the sight you mentioned.  Make sure when you look at photos that they are of reconstruction and not augmentations.

I'm 18 months from my skin sparing mastectomy  and there is little sensation as so many nerves were cut.

Dx 5/18/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 26, 2009 05:56AM zoegr wrote:

Thanks for your replies,

the foto that i was looking was from a unilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. I would like to attach it here but i don't know how to do it. I send it to my Plastic Surgeon and he told me that we will do something similar. The size will be a little bit smaller because the woman in that pic has larger chest so her size will look a lot bigger in me. I'm a cup b so i will go cub c.

I have a question for all of you that you had implant in your good breast. Is your breast firmer than before the implant?

Dec 26, 2009 08:17AM rubytuesday wrote:

Yes, the implant (silicone gel, in my case) does make your breast somewhat firmer....like when you were 18...not a bad thing at all to me.  Best wishes

P.S. Saline and the fully cohesive gel implants will be MORE firm.  HTH

Apr 9, 2010 05:50PM StacyJoy wrote:

I'm am having such a hard time with the decision I am up against.  My PS wants to lift only my healthy breast.  I have been on the phone with him and in his office about this issue because I just can't see how a implanted breast could look/feel like a natural lifted breast.  When i asked aboyut a small implant and lift in healthy breast he told me then the healthy breast would be bigger then MX breast.  I am at full capacity with MX TE (550cc) and it seems to be bigger then the healthy breast so not sure why he says that.  I asked him to put a 650cc in the MX breast to make bigger so he can put implant in natural breast and he said it would be too tight.  Has anyone had a bigger implant in MX breast when TE was exchange??  Should I see someone else,I do know there are drs out there that would be willing to do this but my current PS says it won't look good, I'm not the professional so I am so confused!!!  Please help!!!

Dx 12/8/2009, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-