We are 144,984 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Reconstruction → Topic: Sutures coming out

Topic: Sutures coming out

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Jul 23, 2010 05:51PM

anniethesia wrote:

I'm a little over 3 weeks out from a DIEP (1st stage). I just noticed a small piece of suture coming out of my abdominal scar and another from the scar just under my breast. I'm thinking it's absorbable suture. My incison isn't (and hopefully won't) open. Of course, I notice this after my surgeon's office is closed. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what their surgeon did for it. I'm thinking it's nothing to worry about as long as the incision is healing and infection free. Any advice?

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jul 23, 2010 06:05PM Delilahbear wrote:

They call this "spitting a stitch" and it is normal, especially at the time frame from surgery which you are currently. Sometimes you can just pull them out with sharp tweezers or cut the ends with small scissors. Of course I would make sure it is clean around the area and maybe a small amount of bacitracin or something over the stitch area.

Jul 23, 2010 06:06PM Delilahbear wrote:

They call this "spitting a stitch" and it is normal for the timeframe you are currently from surgery.

You can either pull the stitch out, if it is ready, or cut the ends with small scissors. Sometimes just a small pair of tweezers can release the stitch if parts of it are already dissolved. Just be careful that the area is clean and possibly put a small amount of bacitracin or similar wound covering over the stitch area. Hope this helps. 

Jul 23, 2010 06:15PM anniethesia wrote:

Thanks! I thought this may happen. My mastectomy incision came open because I had a seroma. I spit some stiches then. However, it's been 8 years since my mastectomy and I couldn't remember whether I pulled the sutures out, snipped them with sissors, or just let them alone. I'm going to keep a watchful eye for now and speak to my surgeon's nurse on Monday.

Dx 2002, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/17 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 23, 2010 07:15PM terrij152 wrote:

I had my exchange surgery over 6 months ago and today I noticed a stitch popping out along the incision line.  I called my PS and he said it is very common.  I was able to pull part of it out, cut it and covered the area with neosporin.  You should be fine, just watch for any signs of infection.

Life is a journey...Enjoy the ride!!! Dx 3/16/09, Lumpectomy 4/21/09, Oncotype Score 13, Bilateral Mastectomies with TE's 6/18/09, Tamoxifen 7/22/09, Exchange Surgery and Nipple Reconstruction 1/8/10!

Dx 3/16/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-