We are 144,975 members in 73 forums discussing 114,793 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Reconstruction → Topic: DIEP and exercise

Topic: DIEP and exercise

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Apr 2, 2011 01:47PM

lovetosail wrote:

Hi  All,

I'm 10 months out from a unilateral DIEP.  Surgery went great, no complications, and I was cleared for all activities.  To celebrate turning 50 two girl friends and I are in Costa Rica at a surf and yoga camp.  I'm feeling some pulling and tugging in the DIEP side and it's making me a little anxious.  One of my friends is an MD (but not a PS) and suggests it could just be scar tissue getting moved around.  Anyone have experience with some pain in DIEP side with exercise 10 months or so post surgery?  Anyone hear of a failure this far out?

Thanks! 

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Apr 3, 2011 09:12PM lollyo wrote:

Hello sail! I am 10 months out and have been doing a strong yoga practice recently. I have not had pulling on the diep side, but I have had to really work on stretching the abdominal scar particularly with back bends. I really notice stomach soreness with core strengthening, but then it feels better after a couple of days. I did have some pulling and stretching in the arm pit area from the SNB but this has loosed up with stretching. I'm not sure there is much scar tissue in the breast area if you had immediate recon. I have not heard of a flap failure this far out, I think the blood vessels and nerves have really started to fill in at this point. A visit to the PS or to a physical therapist may put you at ease and help you enjoy a great trip. Happy Birthday!

lumpectomy 3-15-10, rmx + diep reconstruction 5-26-10

Dx 1/27/2010, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-

Apr 4, 2011 02:33PM lovetosail wrote:

Hi lollyo - thanks for the input!  Normally with this kind of sports injury I'd just take ibuprofen until it felt better, but now I'm skittish whenever anything is tweaked in the recon area.  I am trying to get an appt with either my surgeon or a physical therapist, where hopefully they will tell me it's nothing ;)

Dx 10/19/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Apr 4, 2011 02:49PM nikola wrote:

Hi,

I am 11 months post bilateral DIEP and did something stupid a month ago. I moved very heavy piece of furniture and since then my right side (side where cancer was) is different. Hard to explain. Since then I saw onc (he said it was nothing), BS (she said it was nothing), PS (he said most likely pulled muscle and there was no chance for flap to fail 10 months after surgery).

I would not worry.

Dx 3/30/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 4, 2011 07:06PM lovetosail wrote:

Thanks, Nikola, for your input!

Dx 10/19/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+