We are 144,813 members in 73 forums discussing 114,653 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Reconstruction → Topic: burning sensation in scar line of BMX

Topic: burning sensation in scar line of BMX

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Apr 27, 2011 12:38PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I had a BMX on 6/30/10 and my exchange on 1/10/11.  In the past week or so I have a burning sensation in my scar line on the outside of the left foob.  I am assuming it is the scar healing?  But it has been almost 5 months now.  I was just curious if anyone else has this, any thoughts on what is causing it etc? 

I did a search but couldn't find any other topic that gives me info, thanks for your reply! 

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Apr 27, 2011 08:53PM CandDsMom wrote:

Hmm, not sure what that is from. My first thought would be nerve regeneration/scar healing?

BUMPING in case others have more info for you

(((hugs))) 

intermediate to high grade multifocal multicentric ER/PR negative DCIS. HER-2+ of unclear significance. s/p BMX

Apr 27, 2011 09:52PM Laurie08 wrote:

thanks CanDsMom, I appreciate the bump.  Looks like I seem to be alone on this one!  hugs to you!

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11

Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Apr 27, 2011 09:58PM 37antiques wrote:

Hi Laurie08!  I didn't have a BMX, but I still have a body full of scars from other things.  I have noticed that different scars heal different, some sting, some burn, some twinge, some do all of it!  It all starts when your insides start to heal and form the scar tissue.  Nerves grow up and down or side to side, so if they cut in a diagonal that can have it's own different pain too.  Generally the scar tissue can get mixed in with some new nerve endings that are regenerating and it can cause all kinds of weird sensations. If it's a burning sensation and the area looks red, irritated or swollen, ot it's interfereing with what you can do I would call the doctor.  If it starts to hurt worse I would call, otherwise just mention it on follow up.

((Hugs))

IDC DCIS & Mets

Dx 2/27/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 28, 2011 07:52AM Laurie08 wrote:

37antiques-Thanks for the response!  The area isn't red or irritated looking.  Yet, the only scar that is doing it is also the one that fells the thickest.  The PS cut on the same scar lines for the exchange and the left outer side does feel like it has more scar tissue than the other side.  I am sure thats all it is.  Thanks for taking the time to post to me, it gives some peace of mind:)

May 1, 2011 04:45PM wasin wrote:

Hi Laurie08,

I had bilateral mastectomy as well.  My BMX was in early Nov 2010 and had exchange early Feb. 2011.  And after the surgery I had some twitching/pinching feeling just about everywhere around the implant area, but I didn't experience any burning sensation.  Did you have some warm feeling on the incision area?  Your skin should be well healed by now since it has been almost 5 months..

And since you're still experiencing burning sensation around your incision area, I would definitely call your doctor or perhaps make an appointment with him. Good luck to you.

May 1, 2011 10:04PM Laurie08 wrote:

wasin- Thanks so much for the post.  I didn't have the burning sensation until recently and it is something that comes and goes.  The skin isn't warm or red, just the sensation.  It seems to come when I over do it with the kids or yard work.  I am seeing my PS in a couple of weeks and will talk to him about it  I just though it was weird that I had it at all?  Agaon, thank you.

May 22, 2011 09:02AM mtks wrote:

Laurie08- I have had a burning feeling in my left side where there is a indention"flat area"

that comes and goes. I curious to what your ps says about that.

May 22, 2011 09:12AM lago wrote:

Laurie I was told it can take up to a year after surgery to heal. That includes nerve regeneration. My gut says it's just that. Isn't that the area of your scar that your PS reopened to remove your TE and put the implants in? Would make sense it's still healing/regenerating.

I had some burning in my arms about a month after BMX. It was the nerves regenerating from my node removal. I have most of my sensation back there now. I had no burning on my chest… and I'm still very numb there (and expect to stay that way).

DONE!! alturl.com/3o9ni • Tattoos 2.7.2012 • Nipples 10.6.2011 • Exchange 6.24.2011 • Chemo 1.18. 2011 • BMX 8.31.2010

Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+