We are 144,850 members in 73 forums discussing 114,686 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Reconstruction → Topic: Problems with tissue expanders

Topic: Problems with tissue expanders

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Jul 24, 2011 10:57AM

BilateralMasectomyat39 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am 4 weeks post op now from a bilateral masectomy. I've opted, at my Dr.s recommendation, for breast reconstruction using tissue expanders I had my drains in for 2 weeks.  Since they've been removed, both breasts have swelled quite a bit.  I've been to see my two doctors both who have said things look great and no infection.  My left breast swelled dramitically more than my right.  Last night, it began to leak through a tiny hole that formed as a result of a weak and scabbed up area still left to heal from surgery.  It has been leaking ever since and if I squeeze it some, it shoots out like if you would when you have breast milk.  It is the same, pink grapefruit color I remember from the drains.  At least it was until this morning.  Now it is a clear, yellow color.  There is no odor.  Pain is about the same.  I'm wondering if it is possible I've ruptured the tissue expander in any way as I know there is some fluid in there to begin with.  Or, is this just the same drainage I've seen in the drains.  Has anyone else experienced this?  My left breast is now slightly smaller than my right one (and before it was noticeably larger than my right one even under clothing). 

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Jul 24, 2011 11:04AM SuebeeBC wrote:

Look for the thread called "TE TROUBLE"....youll find people who have had similar issues.

Sue - Uni Mx 1/26/11 (-o-Y o ) Exchange and Augmentation completed 6/13/11. Mentor HP Smooth Round Gel 350 and 475. Nipple added 9/29/11...which failed. New nipple added 2/23/12 and holding.

Dx 11/19/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jul 24, 2011 01:19PM BilateralMasectomyat39 wrote:

Great.  Thank you!

Dx 6/6/2010, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes