We are 144,807 members in 73 forums discussing 114,651 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Reconstruction → Topic: LCIS w/ Family History - Need Top Surgeon Recommendation

Topic: LCIS w/ Family History - Need Top Surgeon Recommendation

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Feb 24, 2012 07:33PM

kb6592 wrote:

Just received results from wire guided biopsy which show multiple areas of LCIS. This finding, along with my family history (mother died of breast cancer when she was 40) and dense, fibrocystic, breasts, has my surgeon discussing bilateral prophylactic mastectomy. She also advised that tamoxifen and intense monitoring is also a fine option.

I don't like the side effects of tamoxifen nor the constant scares associated with monitoring (been down this road for 3 years already with alot of cysts first, then atypia, and now multiple locations of LCIS). I'm also not happy with prospect of a double mastectomy at age 40.

My surgeon also advised that there are techniques like nipple sparing mastectomy and techniques to improve the location and size of scarring, so I was leaning toward this solution. But, she quickly raised my concern by stating that the nipples may have to be removed if LCIS or Invasive ductal carcinoma is found close to the nipples during the operation. Furthermore, she advised the nipple(s) may have to be removed later if too much tissue was removed in the area close to the nipples during the mastectomy, damaging the blood vessels that bring blood to the nipples.

I'm still leaning toward mastectomy, provided I have the best chance at retaining a "normal" breast appearance. To that end I need advice on the best breast surgeon and plastic surgeon in the Philadelphia/New Jersey/New York region. By best, I mean the recognized best in doing the latest and best procedures. I don't care if their bedside manner is horrible. THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!  

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Feb 24, 2012 08:33PM, edited Feb 24, 2012 08:34PM by MondaysChild

Travel to Tampa, Florida and go to John Cox, MD.  Hands down, the best at leaving you with a normal appearance yet safe medical outcome.

Just be sure to ask for the procedure at St.Jjoseph's Women Center.  He does surgery a lot of places.  That one is the best in the area.

Dx 10/15/2010, IDC, Stage II, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 24, 2012 11:12PM LISAMG wrote:

PM me anytime, if u like. I had a NSM a year ago with amazing results in NYC. Happy to share my positive experiences.

High Risk for HBOC, BRCA Un-informative Negative Previvor, Bilateral Nipple Sparing Risk Reducing Mastectomy, August, 2010, Lipo/ Micro fat grafting with high profile implants, Nov.,2010. Risk Reducing Lap. BSO, October, 2011.