We are 144,825 members in 73 forums discussing 114,666 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Reconstruction → Topic: DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction

Topic: DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Aug 27, 2012 10:27AM

mkerr wrote:

I have a consult with Dr Kanchwala at U of Penn this Thursday for Breast Reconstruction with bi-lateral mastectomy.  Has anyone used him for this surgery?  Comments would be helpful.  I hear Dr. Serletti is the best but no appt's avaialble until Oct 17th.  TY

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Aug 27, 2012 10:39AM, edited Aug 27, 2012 10:40AM by Chris13

I did have Dr. Serletti, and the results are great. But since he is the head of PS at Penn, I'm thinking everyone else there would be top notch b/c of his supervision. Just my opinion, of course. Can you wait until Oct.? My final DX (2 biopsies) was Feb. 24 and surgery May 1. Two reasons: a long planned anniversary trip to Tuscany for 2 weeks, plus my cancer was a low grade ILC, which is supposedly nonagressive. They were surprised to find a node involved, but my two oncotypes (2 tumors) were low. Also took Arminidex the two months before, and that supposed reduced the tumors in the meantime.

It may not be advisable for you to wait, however, so that was just my situation. What is your DX?

"To attend to the moment is to attend to eternity." 2 ILC tumors 1.6. 1/4 positive nodes. Oncotypes 8 & 15. No rads/chemo.

Dx 2/24/2012, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 2/24/2012, ILC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 05/01/2012 Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Right)Surgery 05/01/2012 Mastectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Hormonal Therapy 08/01/2012 Arimidex

Aug 27, 2012 01:14PM mkerr wrote:

DX score is 18.  Met with Dr. Fox last week.  Probably no chemo.  Nodes are fine.  Had lumpectomy and rexcision with no luck clearing margins.  Next mastectomy..  

Would rather not wait until Oct to see him.  Who knows how far he would be backed up then for a surgery date. 

Aug 28, 2012 06:55PM SuziePA wrote:

Yes, I had Dr. Czerniecki for BS and Dr. Kanchwala for my free flap reconstruction in May of last year.
Dr. K is very thorough and wants to see you three times before the actual surgery to go over the procedure and any and all questions. He explained everything and has a wonderful bedside manner. If heaven forbid I have to go back for the other breast, I would absolutely use the same team.

Aug 28, 2012 07:17PM Janetanned wrote:

I also went to HUP for my BMX and DIEP almost one year ago.  I had Dr. Czerniecki as my BS and Dr. Stephen Kovack as my PS. My experience with both Drs was very good!  They were caring, knowledgeable, and professional.  My care after surgery was also very good.  Dr. Kovach reassured me that I would be very satisfied with the DIEP results once the swelling went down and the scars faded.  He was right!  I am very happy with how everything turned out. I would think that any of the PS team from Penn would be good.  Good luck!

Janet 11/10/11 BMX/DIEP reconstruction, 1/6/12- 4 AC DD followed by 4Taxol DD, followed by 33 rads, 5yrs hormone blocker

Dx 10/11/2011, ILC, <1cm, Stage IIIa, 4/30 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-