We are 144,984 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed → Topic: How long does a standard lumpectomy take

Topic: How long does a standard lumpectomy take

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Jan 25, 2008 02:15AM

samantha01 wrote:

Hello friends.  I am scheduled for a lumpectomy and sentinal lymph node surgery next Thursday.  My doctor has scheduled a surgical suite for 2-3 hours for the surgery.  Does anyone know how long the whole process will normally take?   I know I'll need to be there 3 hours ahead of time for prep work, but I don't know how long I"ll actually be in the surgical suite and how long I"m likely to be in post-op. 

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jan 25, 2008 09:05AM 2dogsnburg wrote:

Hello Samanth. I had a lumpectomy and snb surgery in Sept., I was in surgery for 2 hours,post-op about an hour.

Hope all goes well for you. Good luck.

Terry 

Dx 7/19/2007, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jan 25, 2008 10:09AM anneshirley wrote:

Hello Samantha,

Terry's estimate for the surgery seems about right to me.  In my case, I had the SNB dye injected about six hours before my surgery, and because I also had a wire localization procedure, I had that done some four hours or so before surgery.  It was a long day for me as I had to be at the hospital at seven in morning for SNB and my surgery was not until 3:00 in the afternoon.  The recovery for me was very rapid.  I was given pain pills but didn't use any of them and generally felt fine the next day.  I was very careful though about all activities, and luckily could stay home for a few days.  Good luck. 

Anneshirley Picture of Mary & Sophie, my nieces

Dx 6/10/2006, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jan 25, 2008 11:48AM gizmodog wrote:

I had a very long day also.  It started at the doc's office at 8:00 and I left the hospital around 5:00. 

I had to go to my surgeon's office and have the wire put in.   This was around 8:00.   I then went up the street to the hosiptal around 9:30 or so.   I went to pre-op shortly after I arrived.  They took blood, my temp etc. The usual stuff.

The anethesiologist came in and talked to me. 

Another doc injected me with that stuff that hurt like the devil  about an hour before surgery!  I was also injected with the blue stuff but that was during surgery.   I had the SNB and the lumpectomy done at the same time.  They did the SN biopsy while I was still in surgery.   I was in surgery about 2 hours.  Maybe an hour in recovery.   When they woke me the doc was there with the good news about the SNB.  No cancer cells found.

They gave me pain pills also, but I was lucky and didn't have much discomfort.  I only took one that night to make sure I slept.  Like Anneshirley I was very careful about any activities. 

Dx 8/14/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 25, 2008 05:02PM samantha01 wrote:

Thanks, folks.  This is consistent with what my doctor told me, but a lot clearer.