We are 144,849 members in 73 forums discussing 114,684 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed → Topic: What does angiolymphatic invasion absent mean?

Topic: What does angiolymphatic invasion absent mean?

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Mar 6, 2008 07:50AM

Goldie wrote:

Forgot to ask my dr. about this on my path report.  I'm sure some of you knowledgable ladies mayknow.

The path report indicates IDC, moderately differentiated (grade 2); and angiolymphatic invasion absent.  Does angiolymphatic invasion absent mean it hasn't traveled through to my axiliary lymph nodes yet?  I can't find an explaination.

Thanks,  I'm waiting on a FNA of a lymph node to come back, a CT ad my mastecomy is in two weeks.  I'm just hoping for goods news from here on out.

Goldie 

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Mar 6, 2008 08:32AM koshka1 wrote:

Good Morning,

The fact that it is absent is a good thing.  If it was positive, it would mean that the pathologist see 'cancer cells" within the blood vessels or lymphatic vessels.

I hope that helps...   :)

kosh......

Dx 12/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 7, 2008 05:33AM Goldie wrote:

I guess I'm trying to find out and be hopeful that that phrase means it didn't start it's way to the lymph nodes????

Dx 2/21/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 7, 2008 09:11AM otter wrote:

Goldie,  go ahead and be hopeful.

The absence of "angiolymphatic invasion" is a good thing.  Apparently, the pathologist did not see any evidence that your tumor cells have managed to find their way inside the blood vessels ("angio") and lymphatic vessels ("lymphatic") in the vicinity of your tumor.

Absence of angiolymphatic invasion means it is less likely that your tumor cells have left the site of the main tumor and traveled somewhere else (like the lymph nodes).  BC cells have to be able to "invade" (get into) blood vessels or lymphatic vessels in order to go anywhere else.  Think of it like needing to get onto a road or highway with your car, to go to another city.  You can't just drive cross-country (usually)--and neither can BC cells.  (BC cells do not have all-terrain or off-road vehicles at their disposal!)

Thank goodness for good news, eh?

otter 

Dx IDC, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-