We are 144,898 members in 73 forums discussing 114,714 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed → Topic: 82 years old

Topic: 82 years old

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Jul 24, 2008 10:53AM

scoretouchdownagainstcancer wrote:

My mom was just diagnosed at 82,  She is wondering about other older people who may have been diagnosed and how they tolerated treatment.  She is especially concerned because she has a weak heart.  Anything I can tell her?  She had a lumpectomy and the surgeon could see it had spred to the lymph glands but she just took out one.  She knows from the biopsy that she is estrogen and progest. positive. 

Thanks..we are all pretty confused right now.

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Jul 24, 2008 10:56AM wishiwere wrote:

{{{Many hugs}}} to you both.  Are they considering rads?  My aunt was 79 when she had a lump and rads about 4 years ago and said it was easy.  Funny lady tried to tell me to do that instead of chemo when she heard my plans.  I tried to explain that after a mast, there was nothing left to radify, but.... What have the docs said about it all?  Have you gotten her lab report (pathology)? 

wishiwere~ Path read stage 1C- 1st Primary was IDC w/DCIS 1.4 cm, ER/PR+ & HER2-

Dx 9/21/2007, ILC, 1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 24, 2008 10:57AM BMac wrote:

I don't have any personal experience, except that I just finished radiation and met an 83 year old woman (who spoke little English) and her 61 year old son, who accompanies her everyday to her treatments.  She had surgery, chemo and just started rads two weeks ago and, quite frankly, looked remarkably well.  I was impressed with how well she appeared to be doing for a lady her of her age.

Best of luck to you and your Mom.

Barbara

Dx 10/23/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIc, Grade 3, 1/13 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jul 24, 2008 02:45PM scoretouchdownagainstcancer wrote:

Thanks for the support.  She doesnt' have the lab report yet, but she is going back to the surgeon tomorrow.  Funny, she has already said that same thing about the chemo.  I think the big thing she is worried about is her heart and how it will affect her treatment. 

She will have radiation and I think more surgery to remove lymph nodes (although she says she will have to be convinced that that will be necessary)  She is hoping that one more indicator, in addition to the est. and progest. is positive.

I know you can tell we are new to this. I'm going to call her with the story of your mom, layne.  It will comfort her to hear that someone else her age with heart problems has done well.  Someone must have told her about tamoxifen because was talking about how she doesn't see the sense in an 82 year old taking a pill everyday for 5 years. 

Jul 24, 2008 03:13PM dhettish wrote:

I have a friend who was dx w/ DCIS and she is 80. Because of her heart, they chose not to do chemo. She had a lumpectomy and rads. She said she kept up her walking and would not take naps even towards the end. She did find her energy waning towards the end, but she hung in there and is now finished and doing well.

Debbie 

Debbie...Chemo's a bitch and then you live

Dx 8/6/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/23 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 24, 2008 04:00PM roseg wrote:

A bad heart might eliminate one of the mainstay chemo drugs.

I would not underestimate the power of tamoxifen or an AI inhibitor! 

Tamoxifen is not as hard on the bones which might be important for an older person. It's a generic and has recently been put on Walmarts $5 plan! Maybe that'll appeal to your Mom Cool

Rose

Jul 25, 2008 03:27AM pennylane wrote:

My mother-in-law was 80-years old last year when she was dx with ILC.  She also had node involvement and her onc dicided she should have chemo.  She did weekly taxol treatments and tolerated it very well.  After that she did rads (she had lumpectomy).  She was fine afterwards but unfortunately a couple of months ago they found bones mets.  She does hormone treatment for that and is doing very well, and I have a feeling she will be around a long time.  So I guess chemo is now offered to the older bc patient and is something your mom can consider, and really if she is in fairly good shape I don't think her age should be a decision/breaker in getting the best treatment.  Good luck to you both......P 

Dx 8/1/2005, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 25, 2008 12:43PM scoretouchdownagainstcancer wrote:

Thanks again everyone.  She met with the surgeon today and she is waiting for a call from the oncologist to determine if he wants to remove the rest of her affected lymph nodes or not.  She is Es +, Progest + and HER2 negative.