We are 144,991 members in 73 forums discussing 114,807 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed → Topic: Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, Stage 2

Topic: Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, Stage 2

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Jan 12, 2009 05:24PM, edited Jan 12, 2009 06:22PM by samiam40

samiam40 wrote:

I just got the call an hour ago.  Honestly, I'm devastated.  I was prepared (as you can be) for DCIS, but not prepared for invasive.  I am a 40 year old mother of 4 young children.  I need to be around to see my babies grow up.

The second guessing is killing me.  I knew when I was diagnosed in '02 with LCIS and ADH and chose surveillance over mx or tamox that I was taking a chance.  But I thought I was taking a chance of getting a DCIS--I never dreamed it would be invasive or Grade 2.  Plus, although I got a baseline MRI about 4 years ago, I also elected not to get follow up MRIs for at least the last few years due to claustrophobia and cost concerns.  Seems pretty ridiculous now.

The only good news is that the doctor described it as small.  I didn't get the actual size as I am meeting with her tomorrow and she said she would provide a copy of the pathology report then. 

I just can't stop crying right now--and feeling sorry for myself is not in my nature. 

Oh, and I made up my mind even before I got the call that if it was any kind of cancer I was going to do bilat mx with reconstruction.  I would not be able to handle the stress of worrying about recurrence--that much I know.

Anyone who has been through this and can lend support and their experiences as to what I can expect going forward, I would greatly appreciate.  This board has been so helpful to me.

-Samiam

Posts 1 - 13 (13 total)

Jan 12, 2009 06:11PM, edited Jan 12, 2009 06:12PM by mom_of_2

I'm with you. IDC and DCIS on r-side dx 6/2/08 left side was healthy. Opted for bi lateral with TE December 17 after 20 weeks of neo adjuvant chemo. The 'what ifs' are the worst along with the waiting. I starting taking Ambien CR to sleep and have kept my ipod in bed with me for when I wake during the night. I find I need to occupy my brain so it doesn't go to the scary places.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE AND I WILL BE BY YOUR SIDE EVERY STEP OF THE WAY!

Kris 

mom_of_2

Dx 6/2/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 12, 2009 06:17PM aliciamaris wrote:

Samiam - I so understand about the second-guessing.  I think it's important to remember that you made the best decision possible with all the factors you knew about at the time.  Mastectomy and tamoxifen are both really big deals,and you opted to watch, which is what many doctors recommend.  I ignored a lump in my breast for a year because nothing showed up on mammogram and my ob/gyn touched it and just moved on - so I convinced myself it was nothing.  By the time I was diagnosed it had spread into 2 lymph nodes.  I beat myself up for months but realized that there was nothing I could do to change what I did then, and I need all the self-love I could get to make it through my dx and tx.

I was also diagnosed at Stage II (IIb) with a 2.5cm tumor and 2 positive nodes.  I did 4 months of bi-weekly chemo, six weeks of rads and have been on tamoxifan for 3.5 years.  So far, so good. I'm not saying it wasn't rough, but life continues to be more wonderful than terrible - love and adventures and watching the kids grow up (one moved out!!!), growth at work, etc. 

It's perfectly normal to feel the way you are feeling - go ahead and cry as much as you need - this is a huge shock to the system.  Cry, scream, rant, rave and then make your plans.  This is the hardest part, in some ways - once you've decided on tx it gets easier. 

The next step for you I think would be figuring out hormone receptor and HER-2 status, which will help tailor treatment to your specific needs.

One thing that really helped me get through it is that someone told me a the very beginning of my journey that this would be very hard but that it was doable.  I said the same thing to a close friend who was diagnosed a year ago and she said it really helped her also.  This IS doable - you will get through it and get on with your life and raising your family.

Take good care of yourself and keep coming back here for support.

love

Alicia

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another. ~ Luciano de Crescenzo

Dx 2/9/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 2, 2/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 12, 2009 06:21PM shabby6485 wrote:

Stacy, I left a message with the other post.  I am so sorry about your diagnosis.  I will be praying for you.  Please keep me updated, I care.

Shabby 

Dx 3/2012, LCISSurgery 08/14/2012 Prophylactic Mastectomy (Both); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement, Breast implants (permanent) (Both)

Jan 12, 2009 06:52PM Lories wrote:

Hi Sam - I am sorry this had to happen, but everyone here has been through a lot. 

Honestly your doc can give you the best advice best of luck

Dx 12/19/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 01/05/2009 Lumpectomy (Right)Radiation Therapy 02/01/2009 ExternalHormonal Therapy 03/01/2009 FemaraHormonal Therapy 10/15/2011 Tamoxifen

Jan 12, 2009 07:42PM carolsd wrote:

Samiam,

This is the worst part of all this, the finding out part. I was 41 at diagnosis, divorced with 2 young children. I elected bilateral mastectomy and chemo so I could feel that I was doing everything possible to eradicate it. It's not an option for everyone, which I understand. Once you get more information about your specific diagnosis and treatment plan, it will start to feel better, believe me.

Best wishes.

Dx 9/22/2004, IDC, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 12, 2009 10:47PM samiam40 wrote:

Thank you everyone, Kris, Alicia, Shabby, Lories and Carol.  I can't imagine how lonely it must have been for women to have to go through this before the era of the internet.  It means so much to have people take time out of their busy lives to lend support.  I will post tomorrow after I have met with my doctor and received my pathology report.  Thank you again everyone.

Dx 1/12/09 @ age 40, IDC 2.6 cm, Stage 2a, Grade 1, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+/HER2-, Onco 14, BRCA neg. Bilat mx w/TEs 2/3/09. CMFx6 3/2-6/15/09. Zometa 5/09-9/10. Tamox 7/09-present Exchange w/gummy bears 9/9/09. N/A recon 12/16/09.

Jan 12, 2009 10:56PM abinneb wrote:

I am going to say many prayers for you and your family.  Please know that there are so many here who will be around for you. 

Amy

Bilat mast. Exch 9-'08 And though she be but little, she is fierce. Shakespeare

Dx 5/12/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jan 13, 2009 04:51PM LizM wrote:

Sam,

I completely understand how you are feeling.  I will share my story with you.

I was diagnosed with ADH in fall of 2004 after microcalcifications showed up on mammogram.  I had a stereo biopsy followed by surgical biopsy at the time.  No MRI or ultrasound as my breast surgeon did not think they were necessary.  My breast surgeon offered Tamoxifen but I chose close surveillance as you did.  I did ask my breast surgeon if I could have an ultrasound along with mammogram when my next mammo was due in fall of 2005 and he agreed.  Fast forward to fall of 2005.  I had the mammo which was clear and reminded the tech I was to get an ultrasound also.  The ultrasound picked up mass and the next day I had a biopsy which turned out to be invasive breast cancer.  I also opted for a bi-lateral mastectomies with immediate reconstruction (tissue expanders)  because I did not trust imaging since the mammogram had missed the mass and I knew I would constantly worry about the other breast.  After my surgery, the tumor in my left breast turned out to be 2.1 cm and I had one positive sentinel node and my right breast turned out to have ALH so it probably would have cooked up the same thing if I had not removed it.  I beat myself up about not doing more to find the cancer because I too thought that if I was diagnosed it would only be DCIS.  I was absolutely devasated when I found out I had node involvement as well because I thought I was really staying on top of everything.  With that said, I had very aggressive treatment with a bi-lateral, chemo, radiation, oophorectomy and now Femara and so far so good. 

Dx 9/19/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 13, 2009 05:07PM samiam40A wrote:

Thank you Amy for your prayers and thank you Liz for sharing your experience.  My tumor couldn't be seen on either the mammogram or ultrasound I had just two weeks earlier.  It only showed up on MRI.  If I hadn't had the MRI, who knows how long it could have been in there without being detected.

It sounds like you went through hell in 05 but it is a relief that you are in the clear now.  Stories like yours give me hope.

-Samiam40 (Stacy)

IDC diagnosed 1/12/09, 1.6 cm, ER+/PR+/HER-, MIB-1 15%, bilat mx w/TEs scheduled for 2/3/09; awaiting BRCA results

Nov 10, 2009 02:40AM PamPhotographer wrote:

I was diagnosed in 1995 with stage 2 invasive ductal carcinoma.  My tumor was 2.5 cm.  I had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation.  I also had my ovaries removed.  I am still here, 56 years old, and cancer-free.  I have learned to appreciate every second of my life.  I never thought I could go through all those cancer treatments, but I am so glad I did everything I needed to do to get well.  It's important to remember as you go through this terrible time that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I am a survivor and you will be too.  Good luck.  I will keep you in my thoughts.

Nov 11, 2009 08:28AM, edited Nov 11, 2009 08:29AM by robyngerbetz33

This Post was deleted by robyngerbetz33.

Nov 11, 2009 09:00AM chelev wrote:

samiam - sorry you have had to join this "club", but here on BCO, you will find support, caring and words of wisdom from those of us going through and who have gone through similar diagnosis and treatments.  I was dx with stage II IDC on 2/14/09 at 46 and it was devastating.  My tumor was 3 cm and did not show up on the previous year's mammo.  I found the lump myself during a self exam in late January and immediately went to the doc.  Mammo and US were conflicting, biopsy was not.  I had a lumpectomy and no node involvement, did 2 rounds of chemo (I was severely allergic and had to stop) and then 33 rounds of radiation.  It is doable and treatable - especially if you have caught it early, like you seem to have.  I know it is shocking and horrible news - but you will find honestly find strength deep down inside you that you didn't know you had - and you and your family will get through this. 

Ambien became my friend for the entire 8 months I went through everything, asked for a prescription shortly after diagnosis and it really helped - otherwise I could never turn off my brain. 

(hugs) to you - and feel free to PM me if you have any questions - I'd be happy to help you. 

chelev - TC - 2 rounds (allergic!), Rads - 33 rounds. Oncotype score - 27. Tamoxifen, Jan 2010-April 2013 - too many side effects! BRCA Negative. "If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane" - Jimmy Buffet

Dx 2/14/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 02/27/2009 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 03/12/2009 Cytoxan, TaxotereRadiation Therapy 05/29/2009 ExternalHormonal Therapy 01/01/2010 Tamoxifen

Nov 11, 2009 10:34AM nowheregirl wrote:

I was dx'd with stage IIb IDC in July of 2005. My tumor at dx was measured 3.5cm+ and one of my lymph nodes was positive. Like yours, mine didn't show up on either mammo or u/s and actually the first onc missed it in 2004. So literally I waited an entire year to be finally dx'd by an MRI just to grow my tumor up. I started neoadjuvant chemo 3 days after dx (12 x weekly Taxol and 4 x EC every 4 weeks) to shrink my tumor because I wanted to have a lumpectomy. Thank goodness, chemo did work and by the time I was to have surgery, it was less than 0.8cm and my positive node was gone. Did another 12 x weekly Taxol followed by 30 x radiations. Been on Tamoxifen and Lupron shot since February of 2006.

I worked full time and never called in sick. I am single and my parents at that time were both retired so I had to earn $$ by myself to make ends meet. It wasn't easy but manageable. Now I am 4 years out, alive and kicking. Still working full time and enjoying travelling around the world. The word "invasive" does sound like the end of the world but it's the most common type of breast cancer and about 80% of all breast cancers are IDC. So don't panic and try to take one step at a time. If you need to talk, come here and talk whatever you want. We will be here for you 24/7. Thinking of you.

Hugs,

Fumi

Dx 7/7/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-