We are 144,769 members in 73 forums discussing 114,604 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed → Topic: MRI after Biopsy???

Topic: MRI after Biopsy???

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Mar 4, 2009 11:14PM

littledaughter wrote:

After going to 3 different labs and waiting more than 3 weeks to get the pathology report, it is DCIS and invasive and that is all the details I have (still no written report).  The surgeon now wants to do an MRI.  Has anyone else had an MRI AFTER a biopsy? 

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Mar 5, 2009 12:44AM nowheregirl wrote:

Getting an MRI along with a CT or a bone scan after a biopsy and geting diagnosed with cancer is very normal. They do those scans after a biopsy (and before starting your treatment including surgery) because they need to know if cancer has spread to other part of your body. Without knowing that, they would not know how to beat your cancer. 

Hugs,

Fumi

Dx 7/7/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 5, 2009 12:57AM dlb823 wrote:

Yes, as Fumi said, and MRI at this point is very normal and appropriate.  Once they know from your biopsy that there is a malignant lesion, the next question is, "Is it the only thing going on?"  An MRI will show things smaller than can be found with mammo or ultrasound.  And that's what they want to be sure not to miss now. 

Hoping your MRI is totally clear ~  Deanna

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb

Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Mar 5, 2009 10:39AM littledaughter wrote:

Thank you Fumi and Deanna.  The MRI is today and we are hoping that we won't have to wait as long to get the results!

Mar 8, 2009 03:01PM grannyg48 wrote:

yes I have and I am glad I did because it showed the tumor to be larger than it was in the mammogram and ultrasound. I am having surgery on tuesday.

grannyg48

Dx 2/25/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, ER+/PR+

Mar 8, 2009 03:06PM grannyg48 wrote:

also girls everything went really fast for me I found the lump the beginning of Feb and I am now having the surgery already.....The tumor is 3.1cc and I am having a lumpectomy with some reconstruction. If he has to remove alot of tissue he will fill the void with fat from my belly and some tissue if he needs it....and I was told I would need chemo. don't know what to expect from that but I guess I should be looking for a cute wig.....and I asked for all my reports and got them right away they even made me a cd of the ultasound core biopsy....ask for everything......

grannyg48

Dx 2/25/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, ER+/PR+

Mar 8, 2009 06:44PM nelia48 wrote:

I also had the CT scan, bone scan, etc., before any treatment schedule was made.  Not only does it tell if and where the cancer has spread, but also gives them something to compare to later on when they do 6 month and yearly checks later.  I also had a PET scan after the surgery and before radiation.  All those came back clear for me.  Cora

Visit my blog at www.hiddenrichessecretplaces.b... Diagnosos: IDC - T4, N2, ER+, PR+, Grade 2, 5/15 lymph nodes, diagnosed 7/2008 Stage IIIb