We are 144,949 members in 73 forums discussing 114,775 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed → Topic: Nursing mothers who have just been diagnosed..

Topic: Nursing mothers who have just been diagnosed..

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: May 7, 2009 01:48PM

Colette37 wrote:

I was nursing my then 7 month old daughter on March 6th, 2009 when I felt the lump.  I was dx on March 17 that it was indeed cancer.  We had decided before getting the results if it were cancer then we would have to immediately wean...which was hard for me to do since I nursed her 2 bothers until they were 2 1/2 years old and I let them self wean.  I have never used formula, so I was completely clueless about how to do it.  I finally found a Similac formula that my daughter was able to use and that she liked.  Then came the reality that we would have be spend a lot of money for the formula on top of the cancer treatment and all the other expenses.

So, I called Similac and told them my story and the gal on the other end stated that they could do better than sending a few samples to me...they sent me 2 full CASES of formula.  I am so thankful for this because it was one less worry that I have had to deal with.

I am posting this, for all the other mothers out there who may be in the same kind of predicament that I was in.

Colette

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

May 7, 2009 02:12PM lexislove wrote:

Thats wonderfull Colette! It just shows that people are there ready to help out in hard times...sometimes we just have to ask. Glad you are on your way with treatment!

Dx:2007, 2B, Triple+, June 2008:Lupron,Zometa,Tamox.Jan 2010:Poor metabolizer of Tamox switch to Femara.Feb 2010: cyp2d6 test reliable? Back to Tamox. Ooph soon.

May 8, 2009 08:16PM BethNY wrote:

I'm so happy they helped... great companies do exist, and thanks for sharing an uplifting post!

Be your own hero

Jun 16, 2009 08:42PM Carolina59 wrote:

Colette - so glad you were able to get help from the company. I was also diagnosed while nursing and had to wean abruptly, but my dd was already a little over 2 y.o., so I didn't have to worry about formula. It was difficult emotionally though to give up the nursing relationship so abruptly. I hope you're doing all right as well as your dd.

Dx 5/31/07: left, DCIS; right, DCIS (10cm) & IDC (multifocal >2cm); Stage I, grade 3, 0/12 nodes, ER+/PR+/HER2+; bilateral mast. 6/26/07; TCH, Arimidex; BRCA2: variant of uncertain significance; ooph 2/29/08

Jun 16, 2009 10:43PM scrappy_survivor wrote:

I too was dxed while still nursing but my dd was 1 week from her 1st bday by the time I got some answers. I found my lump when she was only 8 months old. It broke my ehart to wear & my heart still hurts over it today.

October 23, 2008 DX IDC November 12, 2008 bilateral mastectomy Stage ll, grade 3, SNB 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (triple negative) 6 rounds FEC-D BRCA- October 8, 2009 Complete hysto With ooph & cervix removed as well