We are 144,834 members in 73 forums discussing 114,673 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed → Topic: What is the worst type of breast cancer?

Topic: What is the worst type of breast cancer?

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: May 12, 2009 11:22AM

Colette37 wrote:

I know that ANY breast cancer is bad, and I understand that the grade and stage also is a desiding factor...but as far as if it is Invasive or Infultrating compared to Instu...what are the differences?

Thanks for any information

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

May 12, 2009 11:32AM everyminute wrote:

Well  - insitu means it is within the duct  - that is better than invasive or infiltrating which has spread outside the duct. 

find "becausemarysaysso" on facebook...Long May She Run

Dx 6/5/2008, IDC, Stage IIIa, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 12, 2009 11:47AM otter wrote:

Yes, "ductal carcinoma in-situ" (DCIS) means the cancerous cells have not spread beyond the ducts where they originated. That form of BC is, by definition, not invasive...but that does not mean it cannot become invasive if it is not treated adequately. All it takes is another mutation in one of the cells, or perhaps the rapid growth of one particular cell that already has the ability to spread, or maybe a weakness in one of our immune defense mechanisms.

"Invasive" and "infiltrative" are synonyms.   "IDC" means "invasive ductal carcinoma" or "infiltrative ductal carcinoma."  There is no difference between the terms. In either case, it means the cancerous cells have been able to spread outside the ducts where they originated, and move into the surrounding breast tissue.  That's definitely worse than DCIS.

Even if the cells of a tumor have become "invasive", it doesn't necessarily mean they have spread to tissues beyond the breast (i.e., lymph nodes or other tissues). A tumor that shows microscopic evidence of "lymphovascular invasion" is one whose cells are able to get through the walls of lymphatic vessels or blood vessels, and get into the lymphatic system or blood. That is worse than having a tumor showing no evidence of lymphovascular invasion, because it means the cancerous cells might have gone beyond the breast into other tissues of the body.

otter 

Dx IDC, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 12, 2009 03:26PM Shirlann wrote:

In Situ is the BEST.  Some oncs don't even like to call it cancer.  So this is a great diagnosis.

It means that no cancer cells have left the spot they started in.  No invasion.  In Situ literally means "still in the site".  This is wonderful news.

Gentle hugs, Shirlann

May 12, 2009 05:15PM hollyann wrote:

In my opinion the worse type is stage 4 grade 3 triple neg.................There is also a very rare form of breast cancer that only  happens to young girls and young teens called Invasive Secretory Breast Cancer...Only 400 cases are found each year................

Hugs and Love....Lucy Dx 1-15-07 IDC stage 1b grade 1, 1.6 cm.....Also DCIS grade 3, both in left breast

Dx 1/15/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 1, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 13, 2009 01:17PM, edited May 13, 2009 01:32PM by leaf

There's always inflammatory breast cancer. From this 2007 paper from MD Anderson, "The 5-year overall survival (OS) rate was 40.5% for the IBC group (95% CI, 34.5%-47.4%) and 63.2% for the non-IBC LABC group (95% CI, 60.0%-66.6%; P < .0001)." www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17...

If you're going through hell, keep going-Winston Churchill

Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR-Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen