We are 144,841 members in 73 forums discussing 114,677 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed → Topic: Oncoplasty Reconstructionn after lumpectomy

Topic: Oncoplasty Reconstructionn after lumpectomy

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Aug 7, 2010 07:06PM

zivagirl wrote:

Has anyone had oncoplasty reconstruction performed after lumpectomy?  I believe this is a fairly new procedure and not performed by all plast surgeons.  What about breast lift after lumpectomy?  Plastic surgeon has suggested filling in the lumpectomy area with my own breast tissue raising the npple and perhaps a breast lift, of course all at my choice.  The other option is to to remove the existing implants that I have in both breast prior to radiation treatment and leave at that.  What can one expect their lumpectomy breast area to look like after radiation?  I've heard the breast can develop a divet (crease) and the nipple area can look different as well as the size shape of the overall breast leaving it to look totally different from the unaffected breast.  Thoughts?

Posts 1 (1 total)

Aug 7, 2010 08:31PM aprilgirl1 wrote:

ziva - I had a lumpectomy with 1mm clear margin.  For 2mm clear margin I had an additional lumpectomy AND a bilateral reduction (at the same time).  My surgeon did refer to this as oncoplastic surgery.  It was a lift, reduction and also took care of the majority of the lumpectomy scar (tumor at 11 0'clock).  6 weeks later I had radiation.  My breasts still look very similar after rads - one of course is a bit TAN (was very burned, which of course faded).  I am really happy with the outcome and would say it is my silver lining in the bc ride.  I have also heard that the breast can develop a divet after the lump. swelling goes down, but have not experienced that.

Both my  breast surgeon and plastic surgeon say that oncoplastics is the wave of the future for all bc patients.

Good luck with this!

Dx 11/7/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-