We are 144,984 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed → Topic: 90 year old just diagnosed

Topic: 90 year old just diagnosed

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Nov 6, 2010 05:23PM

wontonsnowy wrote:

my mother in law was just diangnosed with breast cancer- does anyone have any experience with treating it at this age. 

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Nov 6, 2010 06:00PM Leah_S wrote:

wontonsnowy, my aunt was 87 when she was dx - had a single mast, no other treatment. She's 94 now and cancer-free.

Best of luck to your mother-in-law.

Leah

Dx 11/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 6, 2010 06:26PM dlb823 wrote:

wontonsnowy ~ I'm sorry about your MIL's diagnosis.  Her age will certainly be a factor, but what's as important is her specific diagnosis -- both the type of breast cancer (especially whether or not its hormone sensitive), and also the stage.  There's no one size fits all answer to your question, except to say that chemo probably would not be as easy for her as it would be for someone considerably younger, so hopefully that won't even be on the table as necessary or an option.  And sometimes older patients have existing health concerns that need to be taken into account when deciding on a treatment plan.

I think the best thing you can do is be sure to choose a medical team with experience treating women in her age group.  As with anything else, experience goes a long way in choosing the best path and avoiding potential problems.  Many of us here, no matter what our ages, quickly realized that not all doctors think alike when it comes to treatment, so getting a second opinion is always a good idea.

Good luck, and please let us know how she does.    Deanna

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb

Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Nov 6, 2010 08:30PM mawhinney wrote:

You MIL's age, her wishes, general health, and the type, extent, growth rate of her cancer will all affect her course of treatment. Make sure the doctors have experience treating older persons.  An 89 year friend had a lumpectomy but decided to forego radiation and chemo. She and her 90 yr. husband recently drove across the country -  SC to CA and back!  Check to see if your MIL has medical directives such as a Living Will & Health Care directives stating her wishes. Have your MIL or whomever is acting on her behalf request a printed copy of all test results and procedures. You will learn much from these reports and be better able to understand her condition and treatment plan.

Dx 5/18/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 7, 2010 05:09PM wontonsnowy wrote:

Thanks so much for your reply - we are waiting to hear more from her test results

Nov 7, 2010 05:48PM kathimdgd wrote:

My aunt was diagnosed at the age of 87.She decided to do nothing at all.Told the dr's she had lived a wonderful life,and didn't want to spend the rest of it with dr's hospitals,surgeries etc.She lived to be 93 and died of pneumonia.

My sister also had BC at the age of 64,she had one breast removed and they put her on tomoxafin.It gave her both blood clots and pneumonia and she spent many weeks in the hospital.She has epilepsy so couldn.t do the chemo,rads and all those meds.She is now 78 and this past thursday had her Parathyroid removed and so far is doing well.She is home now and feeling pretty good all things considered.BC runs in our family,from my dads side!!!

Kathi

Nov 11, 2010 08:48PM Kyta wrote:

My MIL was diagnosed with BC last year at 85. She had a lumpectomy and is on tamoxifen. Unfortunately while running tests for the BC, they found that she also had lung cancer (second primary), for which she did 5 days radiation. I was with her when she was diagnosed, and said something like "I'm so sorry....I can't believe they found 2 cancers". Her answer "better to get it now at 85 than when I was young". So true....She'll be 87 in a few months, and is doing pretty well.

Hope things go as well with your mother in law.

Nov 11, 2010 09:18PM NSWTD wrote:

Everyone is so individual.  My hubby's aunt had mastectomy at age 80, no other treatment, and is now 89 and has no problems.  Her opion....take it out and be done with it....she did not want chemo or rads.....and is happy with that decision. 

Me, if I were 90....maybe if healthy would also opt for mast....then just let me live my life in peace.    

Nov 12, 2010 10:37AM pod1257 wrote:

My Aunt had a mast at 80. No other treatment. She is now 93.

Nov 12, 2010 10:45AM lago wrote:

Treatment for someone of that age might also depend on the grade and how fast growing. Typically breast cancer in older women tend to be slower growing and sometimes do not require the aggressive treatment that a 35 YO would get with a fast growing aggressive tumor.

This is why you see so many have posted about women in their 80's & 90's with breast cancer that have received no or less aggressive treatments.

DONE!! alturl.com/3o9ni • Tattoos 2.7.2012 • Nipples 10.6.2011 • Exchange 6.24.2011 • Chemo 1.18. 2011 • BMX 8.31.2010

Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+