We are 144,987 members in 73 forums discussing 114,800 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed → Topic: Can I still eat Pasta?

Topic: Can I still eat Pasta?

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Apr 13, 2011 04:38PM, edited Apr 13, 2011 08:54PM by AnewBeginning

AnewBeginning wrote:

I do know I have to change my way of eating now that I have been dx with cancer.  I have such a sweet tooth and and love my Pasta which I eat at least 4xper wk.  Im not big on meat since I have high cholesterol but do eat lots of Pasta made with different veggies and such.  If I have to cut out the Pasta Im afraid I will lose weight and I cannot afford to since I only weigh 105 lbs.  How do I get around this?  Please help!!!

hugs to ya!

AJ

Posts 1 - 24 (24 total)

Apr 13, 2011 05:25PM poptart wrote:

Why would you quit eating pasta?  I can see wanting to cut down on pastry, but pasta?  I eat pasta all the time, but we do try to eat the pasta with the extra protein (fewer points on WW, more nutritional value).   You have to eat something and pasta with vegetables sounds good.  Pasta is either low fat or no fat, and I believe this is a good thing too just in general.

Apr 13, 2011 05:52PM, edited Apr 13, 2011 05:54PM by Anjanita

I've been advised to cut down on my carbohydrates and the doctor suggested switching to whole wheat pasta.

Having tried it a couple of different ways I've decided the texture makes it unpleasant to me.

So, not being happy with total abstinence and the feelings of deprivation I have, I've limited my pasta and other carbohydrates to a meal once a week.

Guess you could try the whole wheat and see how that works for you.

Gratitude is the attitude!

Dx 10/2010, ILC, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Apr 13, 2011 06:56PM 208sandy wrote:

White flour and sugar aren't a good thing to excess in anyone's diet but you don't have to give up pasta (or chocolate for that matter) just eat less of it and eat lots of whole grains, veggies and lean protein - you should be fine.

Sandy

Apr 13, 2011 07:05PM Fearless_One wrote:

Try the new pastas that are either whole grain or have whole grain added.   A different texture, but very good! 

lump/chemo/rads/hyster-ooph/mastectomy/implants

Apr 13, 2011 08:09PM JBinOK wrote:

What are you talking about?  Why would you have to cut out pasta?

Apr 13, 2011 09:05PM, edited Apr 13, 2011 09:10PM by AnewBeginning

Thank you ladies for your input......

@JBinOK  White flour is our enemy now.

@Fearless_One & Anjanita   I have tried  WW and hate it.  Tastes like cardboard!

@Poptart  Pasta is made from white flour which is not a good mix with B/C

@208Sandy  I dont eat much meat for protein cause of my high cholesterol

A big problem for me is I cannot afford to lose any weight and I know the carbs help me maintain my weight.   Having the high cholesterol doesnt help matter for me.

AJ
Diagnosis: 1/3/2011, DCIS, 3cm, Stage 0, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-

AJ

Dx 1/3/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage I, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-

Apr 13, 2011 09:12PM hdangelbaby wrote:

i never stopped eating pasta, or chocolate for that matter. just don't over do it on either. my docs NEVER suggested i cut out  pasta, or chocolate, or anything for that matter. everything is ok in moderation. trust us, you will make yourself crazy trying to cut out every little thing that is "bad for cancer"

i gave up part of my breast to cancer,hair to chemo, skin to rads, i refuse to give up my beer!

i'm 29 and was in absolute perfect health before BC. healthy weight, didnt' smoke. did drink, but i know that was not the sole reason of BC.

relax, everything gives everyone cancer now, so don't worry so much bout the pasta! enjoy what your eating!

staying cancer free is my new full time job!!

Dx 10/14/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, 2/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 13, 2011 10:12PM mdg wrote:

I eat 100% whole wheat pasta because it is healthier.  THere are a variety of good healthy pastas out there.  My favorite company is Eden Organics...look at their website.  You can order online too.  My local Whole Foods store carries a few varieties. 

http://www.edenfoods.com/store/index.php?cPath=22&eID=8faf69b85dec53e7edbc85a0743953b9

Maria Visit my BC Blog at http://breastcancerwontdefineme.blogspot.com/

Dx 12/13/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 12/23/2010 Lumpectomy (Right)Surgery 01/27/2011 Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Chemotherapy 03/03/2011 Cytoxan, TaxotereHormonal Therapy 05/19/2011 TamoxifenSurgery 06/22/2011 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Surgery 12/10/2011 Reconstruction: Nipple reconstruction (Both)

Apr 13, 2011 10:19PM deborye wrote:

My onc just wants me to eat low fat.  Also smaller portions.  I'm trying.

~~~Deb~~~NEVER GIVE UP/NEVER SURRENDER**IDC 6mm & DCIS 7mm

Apr 13, 2011 10:30PM Anjanita wrote:

AnewBeginning, I just got to thinking.  Eating oatmeal satisfies that craving for white food for me and it's supposed to be good for you.

I wasn't able to tolerate the medication for lowering my cholesterol and so I tried the oatmeal thing.  Several nights a week I ate it as my main course for my evening meal.  In about three months my cholesterol was back in the safe zone.

I do understand that this doesn't work for everyone so your mileage may vary.

Gratitude is the attitude!

Dx 10/2010, ILC, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Apr 13, 2011 10:33PM hdangelbaby wrote:

i ate oatmeal like crazy during AC. haven't touched it since..... it's a good idea to try it out to replace that white food craving, even if you do it a few times a week. just to mix it up a bit if anything.

now i want oatmeal!Foot in mouth

staying cancer free is my new full time job!!

Dx 10/14/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, 2/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 13, 2011 11:25PM ruthbru wrote:

Check with your doctor about taking niacin to reduce your cholestreol. Don't give up the things you love!!! Maybe cut down a little, sneak a whole grain in here and there etc.. The oatmeal is a great idea. I never used to like it, but have added it to my daily diet by letting it cool & mixing it with yogart and some cut up fruit, so that it is like granola on a parfait.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche

Dx 2/2007, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 13, 2011 11:45PM Claire_in_Seattle wrote:

AJ.....will be happy to share a few pounds with you.

Anyway, in your situation, I would eat whatever pasta tasted good, and supplement with whole grains in other foods.

A friend of mine (who had BC about 15 years ago) tried feeding whole wheat pasta to her husband.  He rebelled, and she decided saving her marriage was more important than whole grains.

Good durum wheat pasta is delicious.  Most is enriched anyway.  Eat what tastes good.  Good luck.  Life is too short to eat tasteless food. - Claire

Completed all active treatment (AC +T, lumpectomy, and radiation). Now on to the rest of my life. So much to celebrate.

Dx 8/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 14, 2011 06:04PM JBinOK wrote:

AnewBeginning,

Why is white flour "...our enemy now," as you put it?  I don't eat white flour products myself, (they have little, if any, nutritional value) I only whole wheat, but I've never heard such a thing.

Other than the fact that it doesn't really feed and nurture your body, why would it be your enemy?

Apr 14, 2011 07:29PM XmasDx wrote:

I have read many docs say that cooking pasta "al dente" greatly reduces its glycemic load.

I like whole wheat pasta for some things, and others I still make regular pasta.

You may also want to play around with rice noodes or soba noodles for asian dishes, as well as pasta made from brown rice, quinoa or other healthy grains.

Dx 12/13/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 20, 2011 01:30AM dtc1557 wrote:

Try quinoa pasta - It is delicious and you won't feel like you are missing out on anything.  My kids like it better than "real" pasta.  

Apr 22, 2011 11:49AM Godlistens wrote:

HI AJ.  You are just like me! I love my pasta and I love my sweets! The thought of life without pasta, and chocolate makes me very sad.  I am Italian and we have a love affair with food!  You really cannot tell an Italian to NOT eat pasta, or bread. But since I am a BC survivor, I've made some modifications to my diet. In the beginning, I was fanatical and was afraid to eat a lot of food, but now I've relaxed a bit.

I've become very frustrated with everything I am reading. There is so much conflicting information out there, that I am starting to feel like nobody has a clue. But the general consensus is lots of fruit, vegetables, and whole grains. So I try to work these into my diet. I also heard that "ANYTHING IN EXCESS IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU".  This makes sense to me. 

I've tried the following pastas:  whole wheat, whole grain, spelt, and rice.  I did not like any of them.  I even tried spaghetti squash.  Poor substitution for the real thing.  I started to feel discouraged when I couldn't find anything to replace the white pasta.  Then I just gave up and decided to keep eating my pasta.  I don't eat it everyday, just a few times per week, and when I do, I try to eat a vegetable or salad with it.  I limit the amount of red meat which I consume.

If you keep reading, it gets very frustrating because you can't eat anything but fruit, veggies, and whole grains. Supposedly, everything else is bad for you for one reason or another. I've chosen to NOT eat anything in excess, to vary what I eat, keep veggies in my diet, exercise, do yoga, and thank God every day for a second chance.

As BC survivors, we need to be prudent. This is true. But as BC survivors, don't we also need to live each day and enjoy life?  And part of this is eating what we enjoy!

I try to eat more fruits and vegetables and whole grains on a daily basis, but I don't go crazy with the fruit since I am fructose intolerant, and it does not agree with me.

Diagnosed 11/26/07 with IDC; Stage 1, Grade 2, Lumpectomy, then 37 rads, Onctotype was 12 thus no chemo; Tamox for five years

Apr 22, 2011 12:59PM Claire_in_Seattle wrote:

The bigger problem is the sauces we put on the pasta!!!!  I eat good durum wheat pasta, and unfortunately like the premium Italian brands.  Or I buy some locally-made fresh pasta.

My own take is that I eat enough whole grains otherwise so that I can eat the pasta that I like.

The other issue is portion size, but of course, if the pasta is vile, that problem is minimized.  I like enough pasta for about three people, particularly if it has a yummy sauce on it.

I eat a ton of fruits and vegetables, and mostly what I want otherwise.  This includes good wine with pasta.  Life is about living.  Yes, we do need to feed ourselves healthy food, but no need in going nuts over it.

Dinner should be a civilized, joyous occasion, not an experiement in nutritional science.

Completed all active treatment (AC +T, lumpectomy, and radiation). Now on to the rest of my life. So much to celebrate.

Dx 8/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 22, 2011 10:21PM AnewBeginning wrote:

Thank you ladies for the great ideas.....I will be trying them a little at a time.

HDANGLEBABY:  From what I see and hear our doctors dont tell us much about diet.  I have learned alot here and from the internet.  I know we cant cut out everything but I am trying to do much better than I have always done because I had a real sweet tooth.  I ate pretty healthy or so I thought but the sweets I could never control myself with.  I remember years ago b/c I asked my primary doctor if eating the amount of sweets would cause me to become diabetic.....his answer was no.........little did I know it probably contributed to my BC. You are so right about everything contributing to cancer...

MDG: I wish I had a Whole Foods in my area but dont.  I dont like any of the whole wheat pastas I have tried yet but Im sure I will hit on one.  I also have to please my son because I refust to cook 2 different meals at night.

DEBORYE:  Portions is my problem because I have a large appetite and I only weigh 105 lbs. so I cannot afford to lose any weight.

ANJANITA:  I love oatmeal but eat that for either breakfast or late nite snack.   Im glad it helped lower your cholesterol but Im still on my meds.....

RUTHBRU:  Your granola parfait sounds really yummy....will definately try it.  I do eat alot of grains and veggies but NEED my carbs.

CLAIRE: Please do send me a few pounds......I normally weigh in at 114 but with all the stress of the past few months  and being dx with BC I have dropped 9lbs.  I am working hard on trying to gain it back but more in a healthy way now. You are so right about life being short.  I am also going to try fresh Whole Wheat Pasta next time I make a trip about 10 miles from me.  Who knows, I might just like it.  I too always have seconds when it comes to Pasta.

JBinOK:  Im not sure why the white flour is not good for us but I have been told over the years it isnt. 

XMASDX: I wasnt aware of the "al dente" but that is how I always cook my pasta anyway.  The rice noodles sound like something I would like so will be searching for them on my next shopping trip.

DTC1557: Does Quinoa pasta come in a variety of shapes and sizes like pasta or is it very small like barley?

GODLISTENS:  From one italian to another....... I HEAR YA!  LOL at the spaghetti squash.  I happened to make it last week but as a vegetable with just some butter and black pepper.  I thought of trying to make it with sauce next time but you answered my question.  I love pasta and do make it a few times a week but different variations such as, Pasta Fagiole, Broccoli and Macarone, Peas and Macaroni with red sauce and sauteed veggies with Linguine.  My Easter treat is Manicotti and I just cant wait so will be good for the next few days.  Sorry about you intolerance to fructose.  :( 

AJ

Apr 23, 2011 12:21PM, edited Apr 23, 2011 12:21PM by dreaming

Life would not be the same in my family with no pasta, that I make from scrach, and any thing sweet.

Never heard of not eating pasta. Also I cook a lot of quinua,that can be used for soups, and desserts.

Now for the Holy Week, I made pasta and quinua souflee, bake cheese manicotti, quinua bread. Five chesse Lasagna. Lockshen Koogle[jewish dish] , etc,etc.

I forgot I made rice and potatoe fritters.

After the mastectomy a second diferent cancer was found: Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, C.F.M.:

Dx 7/7/1991, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 23, 2011 05:32PM AnewBeginning wrote:

hey dreaming, I love kugel!  Yes Im italian but had jewish relatives and grew up on jewish foods too. For Easter we will be having Manicotti and I cant wait.  I will try quinoa but dont have any recipes for it yet.  That will be my next project to research.

AJ

Apr 24, 2011 09:41AM GrammyslilButtercup wrote:

I have always ate all foods in moderation, I love sweets but still it was in moderation, I have a healthy diet lots of salads, fruits vegetables, yogurts, very little red meat and most of the time whole wheat pasta, I still got breast cancer.I am so confused, its so hard to wrap my head around treatments surgeries, doctors appt, now I have to figure out what to put in my b ody when I thought I was feeding my family and myself well already. I too am low in weight, on a good day lately its been around 110 lbs but flutuates because of stress and such. No body has really discussed diet with me since this began. I really had no idea this was going to have to change, the confusion continues.

Becca

Dx 3/17/2011, IDC, 2cm, 0/7 nodes

Apr 24, 2011 10:43AM AnewBeginning wrote:

Becca

Glad to hear you got through your surgery well!  Actually doctors seem not to even mention diet to most of us.  I've learned more about diet when my little four legged baby (dog) was dx with Lymphosarcom.  I took him to a Holistic doctor who has been keeping him in remission since August of 2010.  Oncologists told me he would not live past 2 months without chemo but he is still with me and doing well.  I researched all I could over the internet and have learned much about diet and have changed his dramatically.  Same goes for us humans.  I am still going to see a nutritionist when I heal from my surgery.  All the best to you and keep the faith.

hugs to ya!

AJ

AJ

Apr 24, 2011 06:28PM, edited Apr 24, 2011 06:29PM by dreaming

Hi there, my husband was Jewish, that is the reason I learned to cook, latkes, kugle, etc I am Roman Catholic and had fantastic Italian friends and that is how I learn to cook Italian food.

If you want to cook Quinua, go to goggle and look for Bolivian recipes for quinua.

Also it is cheaper and better quality to buy on line Quinua. It looks like semolina, and never is boiled with salt.

Also try Moroccan food , it is very good, we are very international at home. No moderation for me, I was very "moderate"before B.C.

Never eat vegetables, but lots of fruits.

After the mastectomy a second diferent cancer was found: Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, C.F.M.:

Dx 7/7/1991, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-