We are 144,784 members in 73 forums discussing 114,625 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed → Topic: Lumpectomy prep?

Topic: Lumpectomy prep?

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: Nov 30, 2012 07:02AM

PKateb wrote:

I am having a lumpectomy in one week and would like to go shopping for supplies and things I need. I have a busy work schedule so trying to get it done this weekend. Any suggestions for what I need? I have no clue what to expect.

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Nov 30, 2012 07:31AM, edited Nov 30, 2012 07:31AM by patti3796

My doctor recommended wearing a sports bra for the first couple weeks 24 hours a day.   So I picked up a couple cheap ones so I would not need to be constantly washing.

I did get all the laundry done, the house cleaned and the grocery shopping done prior to the surgery.   Just so I did not have to worry about chores for a few days. 

I was up an dressed the next day, but basically hung out on the sofa and computer for the next couple days, and then back to work.   For me it was a reaction to the anesthesia that kept me on the sofa

Good luck with the surgery

Dx 7/25/2012, DCIS, Stage 0, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+Surgery 06/15/2004 Lumpectomy (Right)Surgery 07/10/2004 Lumpectomy (Right)Chemotherapy 08/01/2004 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolRadiation Therapy 11/01/2004 ExternalHormonal Therapy 01/25/2005 ArimidexSurgery 08/30/2012 Lumpectomy (Left)

Nov 30, 2012 08:02AM GramE wrote:

A pillow or rolled up towel for cushioning from the car seat belt on the ride home.  

Nov 30, 2012 11:18AM itsjustme10 wrote:

Make sure that sports bra has a front or rear closure - contorting in and out of the pullover ones will be painful.

Nov 30, 2012 11:30AM Ann360 wrote:

I hung in bed the first day after the surgery, mainly b/c of anesthesia's lingering effects.  After that, I was up and dressed.  A bit sluggish the second day.  Third day less sluggish and I was off pain pills completely.  If I had it to do over again, I'd take stool softeners from the get go as anesthesia and pain pills have a constipating effect.  The advice to get a front or rear closure, snug-fitting sports bra is good.  You might want to have a small ice pack for swelling.  And cook a couple of meals ahead.  

I suspect each lumpectomy is different in how much tissue is removed, how many sentinel nodes are removed, where the excision is, how long the surgery is, how much anesthesia is administered, etc., so what happens in your case will be unique.   But in general, lumpectomies are well-tolerated and patients shake off the physical effects fairly quickly.

Nov 30, 2012 11:37AM proudtospin wrote:

tops that are open and loose is my thought, easy to get on as you do not want to have to struggle

yeah, they gave me ice packs for my bra to help reduce swelling

all in all they were not bad and even went to a quilt show with a pal after the thing

iris

Dx 6/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, ER+