We are 144,985 members in 73 forums discussing 114,798 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed → Topic: 31 y/o, just diagnosed with infiltrating ductal carcinoma

Topic: 31 y/o, just diagnosed with infiltrating ductal carcinoma

Forum: Just Diagnosed — Discuss next steps, options, and resources.

Posted on: May 13, 2013 05:53PM

erikach wrote:

The radiologist said I was a Grade 7, which I guess means intermediate? I have no idea what happens next, I'm just in shock. I have to meet with a surgeon and get an MRI. I guess right now I'm most worried because I don't have children, but was hoping to have them one day. Will the treatment cause infertility? Has anyone else dealt with infertility issues related to breast cancer?

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

May 13, 2013 09:37PM sheila888 wrote:

Hi Erikach........

I'm glad you found us

I'm bumping your thread to take you to the first page of the Active Topics

Hugs and good Luck   ♥

Sheila♥

Dx 4/8/2005, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 14, 2013 07:46AM Susie123 wrote:

Erikach, I'm bumping this again. Hopefully somebody will come along soon who has experience with your situation. I experienced infertility issues many years before breast cancer so the two were not related. I would mention your infertility concerns to your Dr. They should be able to give you some answers too. Hugs

Dx 12/22/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 14, 2013 10:48AM PeggySull wrote:

Which treatment are you referring to? Chemo, radiation? What is the rest of your diagnosis? Looked you up and couldn't find info on your dx or tx.

When I first started posting I was told this info helps a lot in terms of people knowing how to respond.

To make your decision have you consulted your MO?

Also, after you provide more info on your dx and tx you could try posting on the radiation forum.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Peggy

Dx 10/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-Dx 4/9/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-Surgery 11/26/2012 Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 12/03/2012 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolSurgery 04/02/2013 Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Surgery 09/09/2013 Reconstruction: Nipple reconstruction (Both)Hormonal Therapy 02/15/2014 Arimidex

May 14, 2013 11:53AM, edited May 14, 2013 11:55AM by fd1

Hi Erikach,

I was 30 when diagnosed.  It is important to consult with a fertility doctor before your chemo, assuming that you will have it.  I suggest booking the appointment as soon as you can because fertility treatments do take a few weeks. 

In my case, I managed to get in two rounds of IVM, which involves freezing embryos, before chemo.  This is only one of the options that you have, but it usually has the highest success rate.  If you don't already have a partner, you can also freeze eggs or even preserve parts of your ovaries.  The doctor will explain each method in detail along with the success rates.

Also, during chemo, you can take the either of the drugs Lupron or Zoladex which shut down your ovaries.  There have been no rigorous studies to actually support this, but the theory is that if you shut down the ovaries during chemo they will be less likely to be damaged.  If your cancer is hormone positive, this will also be beneficial to you.

Keep in mind that certain chemo drugs are much harder on fertility than others.  I had AC and weekly Taxol which I believe is one of the less harsh combinations in relation to this.  I think CMF is the worst.  You can also discuss this with your oncologist. 

One thing that I will warn you, the fertility treatments are apparently very expensive.  Where I live, they are covered under our public health care plan, so I have no clue exactly how much, but I believe they are several thousand dollars.

Good luck with everything!! :)