We are 144,807 members in 73 forums discussing 114,651 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Canadian Breast Cancer Survivors → Topic: INCOME TAX DISABILITY TAX CREDIT

Topic: INCOME TAX DISABILITY TAX CREDIT

Forum: Canadian Breast Cancer Survivors — Canadian health care, clinical trials, and life in general up north.

Posted on: Mar 11, 2012 12:00AM

bethen wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know if we as Breast Cancer patients in stage IV are eligible to apply for the Disability Tax Credit for our income taxes.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Mar 11, 2012 09:32AM, edited Mar 11, 2012 09:52AM by CuterWCurves

Hi Betsy,

The T2201 forms are printable online... But to actually have the credit applied to your taxes for 2011's taxes a Dr needs to fill out the T2201, and it needs to be sent in together. It WILL delay the processing of your current taxes. If you are getting money back. and NEED it... You are better served in filling your taxes first, and then sending the T2201 form in with a T1adj for any and all years you are having the Disability applied to.

I am NOT a professional. I am a mom of a child who qualifies. It took 6 months for money to start rolling when we did hers though maybe it would be done faster in your circumstance... But that is why I said if you are getting money back already do not hold it up.

Shell

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2201/README.html 

Mar 21, 2012 09:44PM NannaBaby wrote:

I was wondering that myself.  I've been getting CPP disability benefit since 2010.  Wouldn't that qualify me?  I almost want to go ahead and claim as disabled and see what happens... I'll look into it in the mean time. 

It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission! LOL

NannyBaby, dx May 2010 at age 28. Neo-Chemo AC+Taxotere, surgery uMx, 25 Tomo rads, more chemo Cisplatin+Vinorelbine.

Dx 5/28/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2-Chemotherapy 06/04/2010 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxotereSurgery 12/14/2010 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 02/20/2011 3-D conformal external beam radiationChemotherapy 04/01/2011 carboplatin, NavelbineSurgery 07/13/2012 Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Left)

Mar 21, 2012 09:55PM NannaBaby wrote:

I just read the link... looks like it's for physically disabled. Not the "near death" disabled.  Ugh! So dumb! I'm gonna ask my psychiatrist and physiotherapist to see what they think.

I don't think an ill person who can't work work, should pay the same amount of income tax... CPP disability is only $900 ish a month! And private insurance only give 50-70% of your usual salary.  I have already missed a couple mortgage payments. And I have cancer friends who are losing their houses!!!

NannyBaby, dx May 2010 at age 28. Neo-Chemo AC+Taxotere, surgery uMx, 25 Tomo rads, more chemo Cisplatin+Vinorelbine.

Dx 5/28/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIb, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2-Chemotherapy 06/04/2010 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxotereSurgery 12/14/2010 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Radiation Therapy 02/20/2011 3-D conformal external beam radiationChemotherapy 04/01/2011 carboplatin, NavelbineSurgery 07/13/2012 Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Left)

Mar 26, 2012 01:01PM CuterWCurves wrote:

Physical, mental, or ability challenged. It can apply with a wide variety of things... If insomnia, or arthritis count because they limit your ability to a quality of life... FILE!

Mar 26, 2012 02:26PM leggo wrote:

If you are receiving CPP disability, yes you can. I've been applying for it for the last 6 years. Give Revenue Canada a call and they will advise you which forms they need filled out by your doctor. It makes a huge difference. This last time, instead of paying $300.00, I get $600.00 back.

Dx IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 26/35 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 26, 2012 02:33PM leggo wrote:

Sorry, computer shut down on me before I could finish. The medical forms that Revenue Canada requires need only to be filled out once. Unless your medical situation changes, that will be the only time you have to submit them.

Dx IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 26/35 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 26, 2012 03:27PM CuterWCurves wrote:

I have to note that they have a 5 year re-file so once every 5 years. The only exception to that is the under 18 seem to get till the year they are 18, and then they need to re-submit current paperwork.

That said it is 5 years going forward but put your Dx date as your start date even if it is 4 years or more in the past. They will then backdate 2 or 3 years for some benefits but you can file t1adj's that would go back to any years covered and they would adjust your taxes.