We are 144,975 members in 73 forums discussing 114,793 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Help Me Get Through Treatment → Topic: Anyone done chemo without the steroids?

Topic: Anyone done chemo without the steroids?

Forum: Help Me Get Through Treatment — Medications and other treatments, medical benefits, and managing side effects.

Posted on: Aug 17, 2007 04:12AM

Footsox1 wrote:

I am having blurred vision as a side effect of the steroids (I believe). The chemo nurse said that if I had the chemo without the steroids "I would regret it." She said it is because the steroids help with nausea. I am just wondering if any of you have had the chemo and have not done the steroids? Or possibly you have talked your doctor into giving you half the steroids or some lesser dose. I would really like to hear from you. Thank you so much.

Yolanda Log in to post a reply

Posts 1 - 14 (14 total)

Aug 17, 2007 04:23AM Calico wrote:

Hi Yolanda,
I noticed how much steroids affect me when I had to take the extra dose starting at home before my Taxol treatment.
I got very sick to my stomach (you get the picture) without even having received the Taxol.
I talked my onc into halfing the dose and then completely omit it (the pill form), however, I still got my "regular" dose per IV.
I believe if I could have done chemo without steroids, I would have been less nauseous but for the AC I had before Taxol, I just don't know if there could have been an allergic reaction.
I do get nauseous after anesthesia too, wonder if they put that stuff into the IV too to prevent allergies with sedation medication....hmmmm.....
Good luck to you with your chemo.

God Bless

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics

Dx IDC, Stage IIa, Grade 2, ER+, HER2-

Aug 17, 2007 04:25AM TerryNY wrote:

I was given half doses of Decadron, Yolanda, because of the side effects. I did not experience any worse symptoms as far as nausea..however, each of us is different.
I was given half dose of Decadron through IV, Aloxi (sp?) through push and then took Zofran and Emend at home.
Good luck. You can always try it once and see how your body handles it.

Terry

Dx 2/13/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Aug 17, 2007 05:05AM twink wrote:

I was supposed to take decadron the day before, the day of and the day after my Taxotere treatment. I took less than half the dosage and didn't have any problems. The decadron with Taxotere was supposed to counteract any potential allergic reaction. Now I am supposed to be taking decadron for three days following each Carboplatin tx for nausea prevention. I'm not doing it but today is the start of day 3 so we'll see how I cope. Everybody is different. I'm willing to risk not taking the steroids for nausea because I've not suffered from the particular SE through AC and Taxotere. So far, I'm feeling okay. I hate decadron...the water retention, the insomnia...if I can avoid it I will.

Oh, btw, that doesn't count the decadron they give me pre chemo infusion via IV. I've never skipped that one.

If you can't be kind, have the decency to be vague.

Aug 17, 2007 05:07AM lady4law wrote:

Twink
I thought one of the reasons for decadron was to prevent water retention, specially in the legs?

TNBC, Chemo/TC (5), Surgeries, Lump, Mast/Rec, move PM 4 rads, infection(2),Exch, Re-do(2), tumor '09/B9, lesions: Thyroid, kidney, sinus, mastoid, "activity' spine/hip, mini/strokes, 12/10 Scan Spina Bifida (L1,2,3,4)

Aug 17, 2007 06:22AM sharebear wrote:

My dr. had me premedicate for my first 2 treatments of taxatere. When I didn't have any reactions, he took me off the premedication. I still get a small amount with my treatment every week but it's better than what it was and I do fine.

Only 3 more weeks to go!

Sharon

Sharon

Aug 17, 2007 10:37AM lady4law wrote:

Sharon, I only have the decadron in my IV, no RX. I asked my onc (a jerk) if I needed the 3 pills and was told no because it was being administered in the IV..."the new way". (or so he said)

TNBC, Chemo/TC (5), Surgeries, Lump, Mast/Rec, move PM 4 rads, infection(2),Exch, Re-do(2), tumor '09/B9, lesions: Thyroid, kidney, sinus, mastoid, "activity' spine/hip, mini/strokes, 12/10 Scan Spina Bifida (L1,2,3,4)

Aug 17, 2007 01:24PM maxgirl wrote:

I asked not to have the steroids for the first two A/C treatments and did fine, then got extremely sick with the 3rd treatment and had to go in for IV fluids and Decadron to stop the vomiting. The next time I took it and had just the usual mild nausea.

When it came time for Taxol, I took a Decadron the night before and the day of tx, but I gradually cut back on the post-tx pills without any problem.
Dx 1/10/2007, IDC, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 2/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Aug 17, 2007 06:42PM Stack wrote:

im not sure if i had any iv steriods with my DD AC but i did have an rx for them with the taxol. i was told by my onc it was to help with the bone/muscle pains the taxol and nuelasta would cause. she also told me this is the standard in their office but where she worked in chicago they didnt persribe them. she didnt notice any great benefit in using them(according to her paitents)

Dx 2005, 3cm & 1.5cm IDC w/DCIS, Stage II Grade III, 0/5 Nodes, ER+,PR-,HER2-

Aug 19, 2007 05:18PM nycmom wrote:

I wish I could have. Made me feel wired and switched night and day also I think contributed to chemo wt. gain

Aug 20, 2007 01:00AM Footsox1 wrote:

I feel really bloated in my abdomen. Is that the steroids? I mean, I couldn't suck my tummy in if my life depended on it. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks.

Yolanda

Aug 21, 2007 07:10AM jenjen68 wrote:

I did CMF chemo last time without steroids. Had no side effects. No nausea. Guess it depends on t5he chemo you're getting.

Jen

Aug 21, 2007 05:50PM twink wrote:

Jean,
I was told, with the Taxotere, it was to prevent allergic reaction and neuropathy. Now, with Carboplatin, they told me that, in addition to preventing allergic reaction, decadron would also prevent fluid retention (the doc specifically mentioned fluid around the lungs for some reason). They really emphasised the anti-nausea benefits of decadron. In any case, I did skip all but the decadron given pre-chemo infusion, and I'm okay (now 6 days out from Tx...knock on wood).

Aug 21, 2007 05:55PM twink wrote:

Yolanda,
Fluid retention seems to be a common side effect of decadron (which doesn't make sense to me since one of the reasons my onc prescribes it is to prevent fluid retention around the lungs). In any case, I've heard other women complain about the bloating effect of decadron. I found this info at http://www.chemocare.com/BIO/decadron.asp:

The following Decadron side effects are common (occurring in greater than 30%) for patients taking Decadron:

Increased appetite
Irritability
Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
Swelling in your ankles and feet (fluid retention)
Heartburn
Muscle weakness
Impaired wound healing
Increased blood sugar levels. Persons with Diabetes may need to have blood sugar levels monitored more closely and possible adjustments to diabetes medications.

Aug 21, 2007 09:47PM lady4law wrote:

Twink
That's strange have you read Dr Susan Love's Breast book, she said the same thing as my onc, the decadron was being used to prevent the fliud build up that occurs with Taxotere, (legs). I can also be used for nausia but as I am on 4 RXs for that, including the 3 dose Emend, I don't think I needed any additional meds.