We are 145,000 members in 73 forums discussing 114,820 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Help Me Get Through Treatment → Topic: Taxol and scarred

Topic: Taxol and scarred

Forum: Help Me Get Through Treatment — Medications and other treatments, medical benefits, and managing side effects.

Posted on: Nov 30, 2007 12:26PM, edited Nov 30, 2007 12:26PM by jdg1

jdg1 wrote:

Hi!  I have just had my 2nd tx of taxol last Friday and I called the Drs. office yesterday for burning feeling in my feet and my hands they said to take Benadryl and Motrin and today it seems as if I am numb from my knees down. 

I am scarred that this is the neuropathy that may not go away.  Anyone else out there have this happened to them?

Posts 1 - 19 (19 total)

Nov 30, 2007 07:57PM shrink wrote:

I've had that reaction to Taxol also.  I found that as the days went buy, the numbness diminished but with each treatment it took a little longer. My feet are a mess.  It sure did shrink that tumor though!

Dx 5/23/2007, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IIIc, Grade 3, 21/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 30, 2007 09:23PM snowyday wrote:

This chemo plays hell on alot of women I had my final treatment and it's been three weeks and I seem to be getting worse for pain in the legs I went to the mall today rare for me and then picked up some groceries and everytime I bent down to look at something I would groan out loud when I stood up again, embarrasing but I couldn't help it, it hurt so much.  I don't know if it's the cumulative affect of the drug or what but I really expected to be just fine by now and it's totally the opposite.  I see my onco on the 6th and I need to know if this is going to go away it's horrible and I'm so sick of it.  I start rads in a week or two and can't imagine how I'll feel with that as well.  And I'm really curious about my bloodwork I feel like someone sucked the blood out of me.  Thats how I felt before my diagnosis and I was misdiagnosed for almost two years.  I just want to feel normal again.

PN

Dx 5/24/2007, ILC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Dec 1, 2007 01:07AM JoelKM wrote:

I a surprised that they are giving you Taxol since you are HER2-. There was an article in the NEJM a couple of months ago about how Taxol offers little benefit to HER2- BC patients. You should bring this up with your oncologist.

-j 

Spouse Dx 4/07 3.5cm IDC, Stage 2,Grade 3, ER/PR+, HER-2 neg, 3 nodes +, neoajuvent chemo DD AC-T resected 9/07

Dec 1, 2007 04:00AM lionessdoe wrote:

I was scheduled to take taxol weekly for twelve weeks upon completing AC. After reading the article entitled "Taxol Doesn't Treat Common Breast Cancer " (the type you have) I will not be taking it. The article is found under "Research News".

To me, the risk of side effects do not out weigh the benefits after reading this article.

Doe

Dx 9/5/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 4/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 1, 2007 09:31AM shrink wrote:

Once again, I say that Taxol shrunk my ER+, PR-, HER2- tumor.  I did speak with the onc about Taxol before taking it and right now they are not changing their treatment regimen in response to the NEJM study.  They'd like to see results of additional trials.  It certainly worked for me.

Dec 1, 2007 10:01AM TerryNY wrote:

And it does little for those of us who've already finished treatment and have no chance to 'talk to the dr' as the deed has already been done. 

I think this  disease is too individualized that it's hard to say who will benefit from what chemo and who won't.   It's all very much a personal decision.

Shrink, I'm so happy for your great news!

I do have lingering SE of a burning sensation and a pins and needles kind of feeling, mostly in my feet and after being on my feet a lot during the day.  I finished taxol on 9/26 and it has gotten a lot better than it was. 

Terry

Dx 2/13/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Dec 3, 2007 01:28PM jdg1 wrote:

Joel,

I did speak with my Oncologist regarding the study and he said that they have used Taxol and that the study is still to new to really determine if it would help me or not.  Because my tumor was so large this is why they put me on Taxol.

Infiltrating Ductal In-Situ Stage IIB Grade 1 No node involvment, ER/PR + HER 2 -, Oncotype DX 17

Dx 5/30/2007, IDC, 0/2 nodes

Dec 3, 2007 01:29PM jdg1 wrote:

To all who responded,

Thank you very much.  I am not sure I am going to go through with my next tx. on Friday.  My feet are numb as well as the burning sensation and am getting tired of it as well as worried about the SE staying with me. 

Terry,

Did your legs ever feel numb? 

I really can't take this anymore. 

Infiltrating Ductal In-Situ Stage IIB Grade 1 No node involvment, ER/PR + HER 2 -, Oncotype DX 17

Dec 3, 2007 01:44PM snowyday wrote:

Hi TN:  Apparantly they are treating my cancer as agressively as possible also because I was misdiagnosed for almost two years.  I regret not going on this site before, I joined in June and then became afraid that if I talked to much about cancer I would get miserable.  Man, was I stupid, this site is so much more and I've been able to learn alot about my type of cancer.  So now I'm making up for it. I love the site and women on it and wish I hadn't travelled the road alone as long as I did.  I will ask my onco on the 6th because I'm really upset about all the side effects from the Docetaxel and they sure play them down at the cancer clinic. I don't envy my doc when I see her on Thurs. I've learned so much and want answers from her this time, not just the usual "well it can be a small problem and it will go away in time."  Its been to long with the  veins turning woody and then disapearing, only after the third treatment did they offer me the picc. Then the leg pain, watery eyes, and now my back is killing as well.  What the heck did they do to me and when will it really end.

PN

Dx 5/24/2007, ILC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Dec 3, 2007 02:48PM jdg1 wrote:

Pearl,

I was afraid for a long time of coming on here because I guess what I didn't know could not hurt me.  But I have been coming here for a bout a month now looking for answers.  The woman on here really are great and they know there stuff this is why I posted.  They do play the SE down because I think if you know you may not go forward with the chemo.  How many tx of the Docetaxal have you done and how many do you have left? 

I am seriously thinking that this Friday might be my last tx if I go forward with it at all.  I have not liked this last tx at all.  Seems like the symptoms are getting worse.  All day long having my body feel like it is on fire, the numbness in my toes and feet.  Of course I know I am walking but it is sometimes like having a club foot. 

Good luck to you!

Dec 3, 2007 02:50PM jdg1 wrote:

Shrink,

How long has it been since you finished Taxol?  When you say your feet are a mess what is going on?  Do you have permanent SE from the Taxol?

June

Dec 3, 2007 03:43PM TerryNY wrote:

June,

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through such a hard time with Taxol.  
I did finish all four cycles of the drug and remember nights of leg pain and awkward walking gaits for a few days.  Nothing that was too severe or long lasting though. 

Now I just have tingleling and numbness on occasion, as I said before, mainly after standing on my feet a lot....Christmas shopping this year has been difficult for instance.  

My hands are much better but still get that pins and needles feeling now and then.  

I've heard the SE can last up to a year or more so I don't know if mine are permanent yet as I just finished on 9/26.  

How many cycles are you supposed to get and have you discussed with your oncologist how this is affecting you? 

I do know I cried on Taxol right before treatments, I was just so tired of it all and knowing how I was going to feel afterwards.  The third Taxol appt I didn't want to get out of the car and my husband gently talked me into getting out and doing the infusion.  I was taking Xanax on infusion days to help with the emotions.  If you need help dealing with this by all means ask your doctor for some drugs.  It does help with the stress. 

Pearl, the watery eyes could very well be a chemo side effect too and that will go away soon.  The back pain might be from the Neulasta shot, are you getting those for immune boosters?  

I wish you both well with your decisions and talk, talk and talk some more here....we've all been there.  

Terry

Dx 2/13/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Dec 3, 2007 03:47PM conniehar wrote:

My onc told me that if the neuropathy got too bad, they could reduce the dosage.  Maybe they could do that with you.  Mine wasn't too bad.  I am 4 weeks out and still have a little left in my fingertips and more in my feet.  My right foot is worse than my left in that there is a whole section that is numb.  It is getting better though each week.

Best of luck to you.

Connie

Dx 3/7/2007, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 1/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 4, 2007 10:22PM jdg1 wrote:

Connie,

I am thinking that they might reduce my dosage as well.  They did give me a script for a drug but the problem is it is pretty strong and can knock you out I am very drug sensitive so I cannot take it.  I am going again on Friday so I will see what they have to say.  I would rather not go back but I know I need to. 

One good thing though I am scheduled for my exchange surgery on the 8th of Feb. looking forward to it. 

Good luck to you and thanks for responding.

Dec 4, 2007 10:54PM kel1 wrote:

jdg1,

Ask questions, become informed, ask more questions, then do what is right for YOU!  That's why these boards are so great, we can all learn from each other.

I had 12 rounds of Taxol...my last being 9/13.  Still have numbness & tingling in my right hand and right foot, at times worse than others.  And some days I 'stagger' more than others...so I try to be mindful of where I place my feet.  Curbs & small steps can throw me.  Also had severe hip pain, but got through it by exercise, of all things, and warm baths. (Took Advil only twice)  I figure the benefits of Taxol far outweigh the SEs... my 6.7cm tumor shrank significantly on A/C for 8 rounds and Taxol for 12. 

Yep, it's an awful durg, but an awfully good one too.  Hopefully reducing the dosage will be the ticket to your good response.  I also took L-Glutamine and Vit B-6 to offset the neuropathy.  My onc wasn't crazy about it, but the nurses all quietly agreed that the B-6 especially was helpful for the SEs.  If you decide to try it, give it a week or so before you notice a difference. 

Hang in there...February is just around the corner!  Let us know what happens Friday.

Bless us all...

Kelli

Dx 4/13/2007, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, 9/24 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Dec 5, 2007 08:01AM shrink wrote:

Hi June:

I finished Taxol on Nov. 8.  I'm still having tingling in my fingers and my feet are very dry and itchy at times.  No more back and joint pain though.  The taxol shrunk the hell out of the tumor though. 

Dec 5, 2007 04:08PM jdg1 wrote:

Kelli,

I just went out and got some L-Glutamine so I am hoping this will work for me as well as another vit that is in the B family I forgot the name of it. 

I will let you know what they say after my appt. on Friday.

Yes, February is just around the corner and I am so looking forward to it.

Good luck to you and thank you for your response. 

Yes, Bless us all is correct.

Dec 5, 2007 04:47PM jel1575 wrote:

taxol and scarred .... hi, hope you are doing better ... it's hard but the alternative is worse ...here is a a littler background... i have recurrance of breast cancer,am HER2 positive .. mets, liver, lymphnodes in throat, near lung ... been undergoing chemo for 14 months straight now ....and dr. says i'll be on chemo for a very long time ... i have a very agressive form of b/c and am thinking chemo may just be for the rest of my life ... started with taxol and herceptin once every 3wks. and it worked for just a little while ... like 3 months... then cancer markers started going up... had pet/scan and showed spots on liver getting bigger and new ones showed up ... i was then switched to taxotere w/herceptin and xeloda pills introduced ... cancer markers started going down a bit ... but the side effects were unbearable ... not only numbness and redness in hands and feet ... but skin completly peeled on both ... could hardly walk for a week after treatment ... nuelasta shot the day after each tx brought horrilbe back pain .. now fingernails are falling off ... also experienced "chemo brain" ..dr. took me off medicine 2 wks. ago, said it would only get worse with another tx ... now have to try another route ... keep up on your treatment and have a say in it ... the systoms do go away ... it's can be hard while going through it ... but stay strong and know you are not alone ...

Dec 5, 2007 07:08PM jdg1 wrote:

Jel,

I am so sorry for what you are going through and pray that you will be fine.  I hope that they can find another tx that will work for you.  You will be in my prayers. 

I am trying to stay strong I just really don't like the SE. 

June