We are 144,950 members in 73 forums discussing 114,778 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: can a fast growing lump be benign?

Topic: can a fast growing lump be benign?

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — Biopsy, mammogram, CAT scan, PET scan, ultrasound, or other tests.

Posted on: Jul 27, 2008 07:44PM

sunflower45 wrote:

I had a mammogram just over a year ago and three weeks ago felt a large hard mass in my left breast two days before we were scheduled to leave on a trip.  As soon as I got home I called my family doctor and she saw me two days later,  felt the lump and got me in for a mammogram a day and a half later,  which was last Friday,  July 25.    I'm hoping it will be benign but I'm wondering if it takes so long for a tumor to grow  (I've been seeing 6-8 years on this website),  shouldn't the lump have shown up on last year's mammogram?     I'm feeling so scared I almost don't want to answer the phone next week.    I'm 63.                        Sunflower45

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Jul 27, 2008 10:16PM AnnNYC wrote:

sunflower45,

It's good that you're getting this checked out, and I know how scary this can be. I just want to say that when it comes to evaluating lumps, all tools should be used -- mammogram, hands-on exam, ultrasonography, biopsy -- in order to get a definitive answer.  There aren't hard-and-fast rules about how a breast cancer feels, how fast it grows, whether it will be seen on a mammogram or not. Mammograms can see some things we can't feel -- but they can't see everything, unfortunately. There is no one perfect tool.

I know that's not the most reassuring answer -- but I think it is very important to follow this up to get a definitive answer -- which is what you are doing.  It's said that 80% of biopsies are benign, so I hope you can just reassure yourself that you are taking good care of yourself by checking this out.  If your anxiety is getting the upper hand, please do whatever you need to make yourself feel better, including asking your doctor for an anti-anxiety medication or something to help you sleep.

Keeping my fingers crossed for benign results for you,

Ann

Dx 3/9/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 27, 2008 10:29PM pinoideae wrote:

I think it depends on the type of tumor a breast cancer patient may have.  Triple negative tumors tend to be fast growing tumors, and are likely never to have been there for years.

Jul 28, 2008 08:09AM leaf wrote:

Wrong diagnosis lists 63 causes of breast lumps. http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/breast_lump/causes.htm

As Ann said, there aren't hard and fast rules.   Good for you to get it checked out! 

Hoping all the best for you! 

If you're going through hell, keep going-Winston Churchill

Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR-Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen

Jul 28, 2008 12:32PM pinoideae wrote:

Keep us posted Sunflower.  I have heard that 80% of breast lumps found are actually benign (non-cancerous).  Here is the link for you:

http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/benign-breast-lumps

Jul 28, 2008 05:20PM twirlgirl wrote:

I know it's awful waiting for results and how scary a large lump feels. I have had two large ones that turned out to be pyhllodes sarcoma, which are rare, but grow very fast. They are measured on a scale of benign to malignant and many turn out to be benign. My first one felt like an apricot to me, but turned out to be the size of a baseball and grew in just a few months. It was classified as benign. Sadly, the surgeon hadn't seen enough of these and did not take margins, so I had it recurr 7 years later and this time it was not so benign.

Try taking deep breaths to stay calm and we all have our fingers crossed for you! 

I'm writing a blog about my cancer experience, www.myturnip.blogspot.com ~ Blessings, Tay

Dx 11/1/2007, DCIS, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jul 28, 2008 10:00PM sunflower45 wrote:

Thank you all so much Smile for replying.  It does make me feel better to think of the 80%.  There is sure a lot to learn here.  I never realized there were so many different possible types of  tumors.   I also find it hard to understand how I could have missed this large lump for so long.   I think I was depending on the yearly mammograms to keep me safe and didn't bother to check my breasts very thoroughly.   I had been due for one this summer when I felt the lump.   I will certainly keep you posted if I find out anything.  It will probably take a few weeks.    
Dx 11/23/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 29, 2008 05:54PM Shirlann wrote:

bump

Aug 9, 2008 09:46AM sunflower45 wrote:

Just an update.   I had another mammogram yesterday and then went to talk to my primary care doctor.   She said the lump is about the size of a golf ball and is growing fast.  She also said she strongly suspects it is cancer.   She has made an appointment for me with a surgeon at the end of August and is trying to get an appointment for a biopsy before that if she can.    I live in Northern Ontario and there is a shortage of doctors here plus some are on vacation.  I am very scared but feel fortunate that my husband has been so supportive.  He goes with me to all the appointments even though it mean sitting around for long periods of time.   It's a pretty scary time for him also.

Dx 11/23/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 9, 2008 10:46AM mzmiller99 wrote:

Sunflower45,

As scary as it is to hear the word "cancer", it sounds as though you are on the right track,and your doctor is working hard to help you through this.  The biopsy will answer your question, so I hope you are able to get in ASAP.  As we have all said, the waiting is the hardest.  Sounds as though you have a wonderfully supportive husband.  That is so helpful.

And, as my medical practioner daughter points out to me, if we're going to get cancer (and it's a good probability for us "senior citizens"), we're at a good age, when the cancer is usually less aggressive and the prognosis is better.  I guess that makes me feel better.  Given a choice however, I wouldn't have gotten it at all!!Wink

Take good care of yourself while you're waiting - extra chocolate, long bubble baths, new shoes...whatever will bring a smile, and let us know how you are.

Susan

Susan IMRT 09/08, Oncotype DX 15, Aromasin 03/09

Dx 6/16/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 9, 2008 11:44AM, edited Aug 9, 2008 11:45AM by HeatherBLocklear

Dear Flower,

Keep checking back with your doctor on a regular basis so she keeps you at the top of her to-do list. Also request that she put you on a call-if-there's-a-cancellation list at the surgeon's office. There are often cancellations during summer vacation time, so you might manage to squeeze in earlier if you're on that list.

Keep us posted; we care.

Hugs,

Annie

Annie Camel Tail

Dx 2/23/2008, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Aug 22, 2011 03:56PM, edited Aug 30, 2011 01:54PM by KC7

This Post was deleted by KC7.