We are 144,975 members in 73 forums discussing 114,793 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: MRI Birads 4

Topic: MRI Birads 4

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — Biopsy, mammogram, CAT scan, PET scan, ultrasound, or other tests.

Posted on: Aug 12, 2008 09:34AM

sportsfan2000 wrote:

Hi,
 I"m new to this group.  My wife finished treatment for BC (lumpectormy right breast, chemo, radiation) in 1994. Every year she has a mammo and breast MRI.  This year the mammo was okay, but the MRI showed "something." The place she goes to is great, they get mammo results while she waits, but the MRI results are called in on our cell phone.  From the phone call the doctor said she wasn't overly concerned, but with my wife's history she suggested a biopsy. When we finally got the report, it described a 1.2 centimeter oval mass in the left breast BIRADS 4.
We've schedule the biopsy for August 26th, but would have scheduled earlier if we'd seen the report.  I've done some research but can't seem to find the likelyhood of this being a new primary.

Any advice, experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Aug 12, 2008 10:14AM CAZ wrote:

Hey Sportsfan,

There have been lots of women through here who were BIRAD 4 with benign masses.  They tend to move on with there lives, so you may not hear from many of them here.  Waiting is the pits, but you both know that.  Best of luck to both of you.

Carol(AZ)

Aug 12, 2008 11:16AM sportsfan2000 wrote:

Carol,

Thanks.  I appreciate your response.  We'll see what happens with the biopsy.
 Ed

Aug 12, 2008 12:50PM monee wrote:

I was treated in 1999 on the left for IDC, now nine years later it is on the right.  So even if it is cancer it is still very early in the game and just as treatable. Not to worry.

Dx 6/6/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 1/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2008 10:05PM sportsfan2000 wrote:

Monee,

Thanks for the support.  We'll see what happens at the biopsy.

Ed

Aug 13, 2008 08:01AM leaf wrote:

Birads 4 means 'not characteristic of' cancer, but there is a reasonable chance.  Birads 5 means 'characteristic of cancer' (about 95%).

We have had several people here who have had benign results from a birads 5 mammogram.

They can't diagnose you with breast cancer without a biopsy.   

Breast cancer.org says the longer you are out from treatment, the lower your risk of recurrence.  http://www.breastcancer.org/questions/cancer_free.jsp 

Also, MRIs are notorious for finding 'junk' - things that show up that prompt biopsies that are benign-like inflammation, etc. 

Your wife is lucky to have a caring spouse like you. 

If you're going through hell, keep going-Winston Churchill

Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR-Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen

Aug 13, 2008 08:33PM sportsfan2000 wrote:

Leaf,

Thanks for your comments.  I feel I'm lucky to have a wife like her.   It's amazing to me how many  people seem to think she should just "get over it."   She has coped well. I've seen her lose her hair, go through chemo, radiation, etc.  But I'm sure as anyone who's been through this knows, it's never completely out of your mind.  She doesn't dwell on it  -- worrying is my job -- but every year there's that concern. 

We're hoping for the best, but I still like to be prepared.  And I know, looking at odds is worthless.

For each individual it's 100% in that either you are or you aren't.

Thanks again,

(Like the quote.)

Ed 

Aug 18, 2008 06:09AM therese48 wrote:

Hi Ed,

I don't have much advise or experience, but I want to ditto what leaf said about your wife being lucky to have a caring spouse like you. People have some nerve to put that "get over it" attitude on her. She sounds like a very strong person, and of course its on her mind!

I had Birads 4 on one side and never knew the Birads number on the other side because they found it at the clinic (the lump) and scheduled the biopsy the same day while I was there getting the first one done. Mine came out both benign. I haven't been here too long, but I personally followed one girls posts who had the Birads 5 as leaf talked about, and hers was benign. They just kept telling me here and at the clinic (I go to a place that specializes in Breast Cancer since it was in my family) that 80% come back benign. Thankfully I was in that 80% this time....I have to follow up in 3 months to keep an eye on possible changes.

Therese

Sep 10, 2013 09:37PM bravemama65 wrote:

hi, i am new here too. I had my mammo and stereotatic last Aug. and the result was category4 (Birad4?).I  am scheduled to have an open biopsy next week and i dont know what to expect. I read all the stories and experiences in this forum and it really helped me to calm down and keep me in positive outlook.  My family have the history of different cronic illness from breast cancer, pancreatic cancer and heart failure. I have 5 siblings and 4 of then pass away by different illness.My mom died from heart failure .My brother died in car accident. So i am the last one still kicking and surviving! I know i can get over with this and being with this forum /chat make a lot difference in my situation right now.

Sep 11, 2013 09:15AM marie5890 wrote:

Hi Bravemama and welcome.

You said you had a stereotatic biopsy and it came back BIRADS 4? Was there anything that was concerning that they now are sending you for an open biopsy?

Or is it that you had a mammo (perhaps diagnostic mammo) and it came back BIRADS 4?

At this point, no need to panic. Most BIRADS 4 do end up being biopsied and most come back B9.

How can we help while you wait this part?

DO NOT READ ANYTHING INTO THE TECH'S EXPRESSION OR WHAT THE TECH SAYS. Jan '11 Biopsy Dx-ed a PASH tumor (rare, but benign tumor)....All I ask is for peace and serenity to the depths of my soul. Makes the rest of life more live-able.

Sep 11, 2013 05:06PM bravemama65 wrote:

Well, I kind of confused and i guess less understanding about what my doctor explained to me. They said my sterotatic biopsy result was b9 but they need to take another biopsy which is the surgical.The sample they took from my first biopsy was not enough so they need to do localization for further test...I just wondering why need another biopsy that is more intense if  the calcification is B9...(?) Why not go straight to incision rather than sterotatic if they have suspicion from the mamogram result. I guess in this way, less pain, less time and less expenses especially to the people like me who is less of everything..! ( try to make fun for my self)  But anyway, THANK YOU  MARIE for your respond.Telling me that mostly  BIRAD4 came back B9 made my day so peaceful.. I will keep in touch and GOD BLESS ...

Sep 12, 2013 06:15AM marie5890 wrote:

Sounds like they just want to be sure. That is not uncommon, esp given your family history. 

It's hard, the waiting. It gives the mind time to go to dark places. Try to keep busy and stay distracted. Do you have a date for the surgery?

DO NOT READ ANYTHING INTO THE TECH'S EXPRESSION OR WHAT THE TECH SAYS. Jan '11 Biopsy Dx-ed a PASH tumor (rare, but benign tumor)....All I ask is for peace and serenity to the depths of my soul. Makes the rest of life more live-able.

Sep 16, 2013 12:47AM bravemama65 wrote:

yes, this coming Tuesday...but need to see my doctor again  tomorrow for some preparation ..i guess.. I dont know... they said it will takes 3 or more hours in the hospitals.. i will keep posting..thanks Marie!