We are 144,814 members in 73 forums discussing 114,655 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: How long does genetic testing take ?

Topic: How long does genetic testing take ?

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — Biopsy, mammogram, CAT scan, PET scan, ultrasound, or other tests.

Posted on: Jun 3, 2009 04:28AM

macca wrote:

Hi, i am 4 weeks post op, afetr having a mastectomy and lat dorsi breast reconstruction. I have been told that i am going for genetic testing, to ascertain the likelihood of wether i need the other breast removed, and i have been told that this can take ages in the UK.... does anyone out there know , or has anyone else experienced this, as i feel like this could lengthen the whole process of justb trying to feel normal again...if you know what i mean.   thanks juls x

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Jun 5, 2009 12:30AM jacee wrote:

Not familiar with UK. I had testing in US and from what I understand Myriad in Utah has the patent on the technology in the US. I had results back in 10 days.

Joni

My body has cancer, my spirit does not!

Dx 4/27/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 3/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 05/05/2009 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Surgery 06/06/2009 Mastectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 07/06/2009 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolHormonal Therapy 01/04/2010 FemaraRadiation Therapy 02/12/2010 ExternalSurgery 09/09/2010 Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Both)Surgery 10/09/2011 Reconstruction: Nipple reconstruction (Both)

Jun 5, 2009 01:16AM smithlme wrote:

Mine were back in 10 days and my sisters took two weeks...

Linda

Dx 3/31/08, DCIS, ER+/PR- BRCA2+...I am NOT a survivor...I am a 2X breast cancer A$$ kicker!

Dx 3/28/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jun 5, 2009 10:48AM Emily2008 wrote:

2 weeks for me here in the US.

BRCA 2 pos.

Dx 5/14/2008, IDC, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 5, 2009 04:55PM QueenK wrote:

6 MONTHS-1 YEAR, in canada.In ontario, specifically.My friend just called she had her test on May 11th last year and got her results 2 weeks ago

Jun 5, 2009 05:46PM Beesie wrote:

juls, I don't know how long the results take in the U.K. but every example I've heard about outside of the U.S. seems to be the same - 6 months to 1 year (or even longer).  The only good news about this is that because it takes so long, it's easier to simply put it out of your mind.  I had the testing done and knowing that I wouldn't hear anything for months, I didn't think about it or worry about it.   

Jenny, the reason why it takes so much longer to get the results in Canada (and I believe every country except the U.S.) is because the BRCA genes are "owned" under patent law by Myriad Genetics, a U.S. based company.  Myriad approved MDS Labs in Canada to handle BRCA testing so we are able to get the testing done in Canada but thanks to the way Myriad handle the process for non-U.S. countries, getting the BRCA results here takes significantly longer.  It's not the fault of our healthcare system; it's Myriad that causes these delays.

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Jun 5, 2009 06:40PM HelenaJ wrote:

Juls, I'm from Australia and my testing was free and was advised it could take up to 6 months.  Try to relax and heal (easier said than done) and get over this op - your other breast must have been checked out OK so concentrate on healing.  As for feeling normal again ..... I don't know whether we ever will, maybe a different kind of normal.

soft hugs

Helena

Such is life! Invasive Papillary Carcinoma, ITC's, Oncotype score 6

Dx 10/28/2008, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 6, 2009 02:11PM ccbaby wrote:

It took mine about 1 month here in the US

~Christy~ left side mastectomy/TE February 2009 Finished TC July 2009 Rads finished Oct 2009 Stage 1 lymphedema Removed failed TE, HIP flap surgery Dec 2009 Finished Herceptin March 2010 Second stage March 2010 Third stage revisions Oct 2011

Dx 1/29/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/13 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jun 6, 2009 02:30PM hrf wrote:

If there is a family history on file and the results can be checked against other family members it can take only a few weeks. If there is no family history it can take up to a year in Canada.

BRCA2+ first dx in Oct. 2004 2nd dx Feb. 2009 a new primary

Jun 6, 2009 04:11PM QueenK wrote:

Beesie:I don't recall blaming the healthcare system (which subsequently I also work in and know a lot about) I know all about genetic testing, who does it etc.But thanks

HRF: The previously mentioned frienf had a mother and sister die of breast cancer, they however did not get the genetic testing.