We are 144,991 members in 73 forums discussing 114,808 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: b 9 rating - please explain

Topic: b 9 rating - please explain

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — Biopsy, mammogram, CAT scan, PET scan, ultrasound, or other tests.

Posted on: Jun 15, 2009 08:34PM

mawhinney wrote:

What does a b9 rating mean and what does it refer to?  In several posts i have seen a reference to a b( rating but I don't know what it means or what it is referring to. Please explain!

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Jun 15, 2009 08:53PM Anxiousmama wrote:

B9 = benign  = Not malignant/cancer.

hth

Stage 2A, ER/PR+, mama to two active boys

Jun 15, 2009 10:19PM idaho wrote:

Means the lump is NOT cancer.  Tami

There's no place like home......There's no place like home

Dx 2/1/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 15, 2009 11:44PM bygrace17 wrote:

maw:  check out the post that says "abbreviations for newbies"

B9: benign

Bx: biopsy

Tx: treatment

these are a few common ones.  :)

Jun 16, 2009 08:12AM, edited Jun 16, 2009 08:27AM by leaf

FYI: the line between normal cells and cancerous cells is sometimes NOT a line in the sand. 

Cancer by definition means 'uncontrolled growth'. There can be controversy whether 'uncontrolled' means penetration of the basement membrane (that is beneath the lobules and ducts).

There are clearly benign cells, and there are other cells that are clearly cancerous.

But there can be controversy over cells that are 'in between'  or  'part of the way there'.  For example, atypical (meaning they are oddly shaped) hyperplastic (meaning there are a lot of cells growing there) cells are thought to be in the middle.  For example, most oncologists consider LCIS (lobular carcinoma in situ) is benign (in spite of the name). There can be controversy whether DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) and LCIS are considered cancer.  Some people feel 'cancer' should be restricted to invasive types.  (Invasive meaning the cancer has extended beyond the basement membranes.) Some people consider DCIS and LCIS 'pre-cancer'.  Other people consider DCIS (in particular) cancer. (I'm not certain how many experts feel that DCIS is cancer or benign.) DCIS definitely needs to be treated.

From what I've heard, its usually easy  for the pathologist to tell if cancerous cells have penetrated the basement membrane.

So, normally you can't be diagnosed with cancer before they take a biopsy of a piece of tissue and look at it under the microscope.

If you're going through hell, keep going-Winston Churchill

Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR-Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen

Jun 16, 2009 10:40AM mawhinney wrote:

Is there a name of the tumor rating systems? I would like to find more info on the various ratings. I know I've seen it but can't find any information that describes the rating system.

Dx 5/18/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ib, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 16, 2009 10:58AM, edited Jun 16, 2009 11:09AM by leaf

There are 2 things that come to mind - not sure if I'm answering your question.

One rating system is designed for mammograms (but I believe is also used for other imaging): The BIRADS system

(midway down this webpage) http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_6X_Mammography_and_other_Breast_Imaging_Procedures_5.asp

This rating applies to imaging both before and after diagnosis.  Imaging does NOT give you a diagnosis of breast cancer.

If someone is actually diagnosed with breast cancer, the stages are on this webpage and

the pages following. www.breastcancer.org/treatment...

If you're going through hell, keep going-Winston Churchill

Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR-Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen