We are 144,996 members in 73 forums discussing 114,812 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: How long to get excisional biopsy results?

Topic: How long to get excisional biopsy results?

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — Biopsy, mammogram, CAT scan, PET scan, ultrasound, or other tests.

Posted on: Nov 28, 2009 11:16PM

Peppi1 wrote:

Just wondering how long it tends to take to get the pathology results after an excisional biopsy. Have sifted through some posts and it seems to be about a week for most people..is that right? How long did it take you to get yours?

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Nov 29, 2009 09:07AM adrienne2 wrote:

Hi Peppi,

After my core biopsy, I had the results in 2 days. After my wide excision, the results took 3 days. Bear in mind that these are "business days." I had my most recent surgery last Tuesday, and results aren't expected until tomorrow (Monday): the Holiday and weekend fell in the middle.

Also, I live in a large metropolitan area where there are pathology labs. It's possible that in some places, your sample would have to be shipped to a lab farther away, and it would take longer. 

I know the waiting is hard (at least it was for me), and you have my sympathy. I wish you fast results, and even more importantly, good results.

adrienne 

Stupid Cancer. Two lumpectomies November 10th and 24th, 2009. Radiation started December 23rd, 2009. 25 regular treatments plus 8 boosts. Started Tamoxifen 2/26/2010.

Dx 10/21/2009, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+

Nov 29, 2009 11:39AM leaf wrote:

My breast surgeon wouldn't give me my results over the phone-I had to wait for my 1st postop appointment.  That was about 3-4 weeks.  I'm sure it depends a lot on what the doc wants to do.

As Adrienne says, I found the waiting hard, and I do wish you good results.

If you're going through hell, keep going-Winston Churchill

Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR-Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen

Nov 29, 2009 09:36PM awb wrote:

it was about 7 or 8 days for both my core biopsy results and for my excisional biopsy results. Praying you get good results soon

Anne

"I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future"

Dx 9/5/2003, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodesSurgery 09/16/2003 Lumpectomy (Right)Hormonal Therapy 10/30/2003 TamoxifenSurgery 04/05/2005 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Hormonal Therapy 02/28/2009 Evista

Nov 29, 2009 10:24PM Peppi1 wrote:

Thanks ladies...business days..so most labs I guess do on work on weekends....huh...odds are good that they will not find cancer, but I can't help but feel that my life is on hold a bit until I hear that I am in the clear! I am reluctant to use vacation days or make firm plans that would be hard to change or disrupt others if I had to change them....guess I am being neurotic...I just want to know if I can move on or am I going to be going to more Dr's appointments....lol

Nov 30, 2009 11:14AM LISAMG wrote:

48 hours for first excisional bx and 5 LONG days for 2nd bx here. Varies according to lab & staffing issues. Core bx's usually have a much quicker turn around in 24 hours. Waiting is absolute torture! B9 wishes to you!!

High Risk for HBOC, BRCA Un-informative Negative Previvor, Bilateral Nipple Sparing Risk Reducing Mastectomy, August, 2010, Lipo/ Micro fat grafting with high profile implants, Nov.,2010. Risk Reducing Lap. BSO, October, 2011.