We are 144,781 members in 73 forums discussing 114,597 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: What's the significance of sites near "chest wall"?

Topic: What's the significance of sites near "chest wall"?

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — Biopsy, mammogram, CAT scan, PET scan, ultrasound, or other tests.

Posted on: Jan 19, 2011 04:04PM

Robynmummy wrote:

My GP seemed to think I will be recommended for an excisional biopsy because the suspicious site is near the chest wall.

Why does that matter?  

He told me the sites they are investigating are at 6 and 10 o'clock. Not sure which of those is close to the chest wall; the other is near the skin.

Just want to know if having calcs near a chest wall should make me more ready to accept an excisional biopsy over monitoring by mammo.

Posts 1 (1 total)

Jan 19, 2011 09:45PM redsox wrote:

If it is cancer near the chest wall it is closer to getting out of breast tissue and into tissue that is harder or impossible to remove.  They may be less willing to wait and monitor with mammography.

Also, an excisional biopsy might be recommended rather than a needle biopsy because it might be difficult to get the needle into the right location.

We can manage without various bits of our breast tissue but we really need the structure of the chest wall. 

If cancer is in the chest wall and they cannot remove it surgically they can do radiation therapy but still it is better to stop it before it gets there.

Dx 2009, DCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR+, HER2-