We are 144,987 members in 73 forums discussing 114,800 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: I have mass in both breast and lymph node

Topic: I have mass in both breast and lymph node

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — Biopsy, mammogram, CAT scan, PET scan, ultrasound, or other tests.

Posted on: Mar 29, 2011 10:18PM, edited Mar 29, 2011 10:34PM by yolandag

yolandag wrote:

Thank You for being here. I wonder if you can help me.  I went to a follow-up appointment to my primary care dr.  because of sever bone pain, not joint pain.  I went on the 11th.  This dr. I go to about every 3 or 4 months. Because I have an artif. heart valve.  My dr. tells me back in 2008 I had a mammogram which showed a mass in my right breast!  Yes, 2008 & im jus getting these results.  He send me back to the breast dr. that did the 1st mammogram in 2005.  She tells me It first showed in 2005 and again in 2008.  And it's showing now on my new mamogram I did last week. But now the mass is in both of my breast and lymph nodes has mass in axilla.  Breast dr. says Im ok I neva was told at all I had a mass in either breast now lymph nodes under both arm.  But she says she don't think it's cancer.  Both my parents died a week apart from cancer.  My mom had breast & brain cance & my father had pancreactic cancer.  My question is if in 2005 its seen in 1 breast and now is in both breast and lymph nodes but she dont think it's cancer and to come back in a year!  i don't know what to do. I am scheduled to go back to my primary dr. in 2 weeks to talk about results.  Can a person have mass (her exact words) in both breast and lymph nodes but not getting any biopsy or testing.  she jus said come back in 1 year.  Under my arms are clearly lumps I feel and when I touch my under arm it get the worse pain.  Don't mean to ramble, I just dont know where to turn I been googling breast & lymph mass and it all says cancer?  I ask the question on yahoo and no response. Please help I have no one to ask. I am 47 years old.  Sorry so long, Im so scared!!!  Im driving myself crazy, none of this sound right.  I even got the test results in 2008 from my dr. that  said mammogram normal I just dont understand.  In closing she said I am 1-11 and women usually a 23.  I dont know what this mean.   Thanks in advance.    

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Mar 29, 2011 11:10PM every8thwoman wrote:

Yolanda, I don't know where you went for your consult  but I would strongly recommend you get a second opinion!!!  This doctor should have done follow-up tests to find out what, if not cancer, the mass in your breast or lymph nodes were.  Its possible the mass is just a cyst but I think the women on these boards would advise follow up tests (ex. biopsy, ultrasound, MRI) to nail down what EXACTLY is going on.  With your family history it would be worth your time to do this.  When I went for my 2nd opinion at Sloan Kettering, my doctors allowed me to sign out my mammography films to take to New York with me.  They also sent pathology reports and tumor samples, etc.  If anything, this should give you peace of mind to know what is going on.  Please write back and let us all know how you are.

Dx 10/18/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 29, 2011 11:23PM irish22 wrote:

I would definatley demand a biopsy or go to another doctor for a second opinion. It could just be cysts or fibroadenomas but it's definatley worth your time and health to get a follow up especially considering your family history. I'm also not sure if it's just here in Indiana or not but I know they are required to send you a letter stating if there is anything found on your mammograms within I think 30 days and your doctor has to go over the results with you. I think even if it is just cysts there is no reason your doctor shouldn't have told you about that. I really hope you follow up and if you have to go to another doctor. Take care and keep everyone informed. <3

Keep Calm and Carry On

Dx 1/13/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 17/34 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 29, 2011 11:32PM yolandag wrote:

Thanks for your response. I had the leaky breast and all.  Im going to see my primary dr. and I AM GETTING A SECOND OPINION.  I cry all day for no reason Im so terrified.  My mom had breast cancer and she had a big black spot under her arm and I got a black spot on my back,  I jus see similarities with what my mother was going through.  Thank You for letting me vent. She said I couldn get anything done. I think it's because of my artificial heart valve and Im on coumadin and had 4 tia's.Nevertheless, You confirmed to me what I need to do.  I really thank You so much.

Mar 29, 2011 11:43PM Letlet wrote:

Please, please get a biopsy! Push for it, they should do one just based on your family history. They will ask you to be off blood thinners for around 10 days or so prior to the biopsy.

Dx 8/27/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 6/23 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2+

Mar 29, 2011 11:46PM yolandag wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply the kicker is my primary dr. left the room and had the student who was shadowing him tell me, Its a teaching clinic.  My dr couldn get out the room fast enough, so I was left with the student who gave me the horrible news. He asked me as I was leaving who did ur biopsy?  I had no idea what he was talking about. I said biopsy for what?  Then he walked out and didn come back.  So I had to ask the student what this mean and she said she didn't know.  The dr. came in just before I was leaving and I never seen him act the way he did.  I really got scared he looked like he wanted to cry.  Funny, I felt sorry for him.

Mar 29, 2011 11:51PM, edited Mar 29, 2011 11:55PM by yolandag

I passed a women's center today in a neighboring suburb.  Im going there tomorrow and see if they can make me a appt. What type of dr. should do the 2nd opionion.   I am so sorry if I sound ignorant I dont know what to do.  THANK YOU SO MUCH I CAN NEVER TELL YOU ALL HOW MUCH THIS MEAN TO ME.  God Bless u all!!

Mar 30, 2011 12:58AM hbcheryl wrote:

Run don't walk and get yourself a 2nd opinion, a womens center should have a breast surgeon in their practice and call the practice you've been going to and get copies of your past mammograms and reports to take with you so they can see what is in your file.  Good luck to you.

Dx 7/25/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 30, 2011 10:26AM DocBabs wrote:

Yolandag, It seems to me that somewhere along the way your mammos were overlooked so now it's time for you to take charge.You need to get copies of all you mammos and the reports and take them to a breast surgeon. That fact that you have an artificial valve and are on coumadin should not in any way disqualify you for proper follow-up and testing/surgery  as needed.These will not be ignored but rather monitored very carefully during this time.I'm sorry that you've had such a bad experience so far.Hopefully you'll get on track soon. My very deepest condolences on the loss of your parents.

Barbara

DocBabs

Dx 4/28/2011, IDC, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Surgery 05/13/2011 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal (Right); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement, Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2011 Aromasin

Mar 30, 2011 10:40AM Fighter_34 wrote:

RUN! RUN! and get a second opinion that's what saved me I demanded to know what was going on. I wasn't rude I just wanted to know.

Dx 8/30/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 30, 2011 10:43AM Betterwannabe wrote:

Yolandag,

Please get a second opinion, I have been on these boards long enough to understand there are so small amount of doctors out there who is willing to take the needed actions to help their patients, so many woman here had to fight to get the testing they need to be diagnose or rule out the cancer (I am about to become one )  knowing there is something in your breasts and saying lets wait an other year is a big risk to take, why not get it biopsied and rule out the cancer, or if it is cancer go to war with it, instead of giving it an other year to eat away your body.  so for peace of mind get a new doctor who cares, I get so angry and can't wonder if this was in their breast would they be OK waiting a year? Hugs to you and please keep us posted as I totaly understand your concern and these woman here REALLY care!

Betterwannabe, I was born to worship so are you...

Mar 30, 2011 03:36PM JanetinVirginia wrote:

Yolanda - I don't know where you live, but you need to see a good breast surgeon to evaluate you.  Most large cities have breast cancer centers associated with large hospitals.  Also, many cities have centers that are part of the National Cancer Institute that have specialty breast centers.  Get copies of your mammogram films.  When you call to make an appointment, tell them what is going on and that you need to see a breast surgeon right away.   Just keep bugging them every day until you can get in!  You will feel much better and not as scared when you are in good hands.

http://cancercenters.cancer.gov/cancer_centers/map-cancer-centers.html

Dx 9/1/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 30, 2011 03:41PM thefuzzylemon wrote:

OMG!!  Do not take no for an answer!!  Get all your questions together and get to a doctor that is amazing ...

The Fuzzy Lemon (including all her personalities)

Dx 1/20/2011, 2cm, Stage IIIc, Grade 3, 14/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-