We are 144,967 members in 73 forums discussing 114,787 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: Blood apirated from a breast cyst!!!

Topic: Blood apirated from a breast cyst!!!

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — Biopsy, mammogram, CAT scan, PET scan, ultrasound, or other tests.

Posted on: Mar 21, 2012 11:57AM

roorooep wrote:

Hi I am not new to this forum however this is probably the most frightened I have ever been after having a cyst aspirated.  First a little history, I have been diagnosed with multiple cysts, small and large ,simple and complex during the last 5 years. I have several of these aspirated, all have been benign to present.  They usually appears to yield a  brown liquid and the breast surgeon refers to them as chocolate cysts. A few weeks ago I notice one of my many cysts was partially visible in certain positions.  I visited my breast surgeon and he made aappt for me to have  the cyst to be aspirated.

Which brings me to today, the cyst fluid today appeared dark red.  He proceeded after obtaining the fluid to  take 3 core biopsies and seemed concerned.   I will have my results on tues which is also causing me to worry, every other time I have a cyst aspirated they schedule me 2 weeks later for an appt. for results.

Has anyone had bloody breast fluid aspirated that was not cancer

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Mar 21, 2012 12:20PM, edited Mar 21, 2012 12:22PM by IllinoisNative

Blood came out of my cyst when they aspirated it.  My doctor originally thought it was a papilloma.  Basically, I had a lump.  Went for an ultrasound and they found the lump was cystic and solid so they sort of knew it may be cancer.  They aspirated it and blood came out. 

It turned out that the tumor in my breast died filling the cyst with blood mimicing a papilloma. Good news was that something it my body killed it or starved it...lol.

It's normal to be scared.  After the aspiration, they sent me down the hall for a bilateral mammogram.  I practically ran out of the doctor's office imagining the worst.  Everyone here knows how scared you are.  It's a terrible state of mind to be in.  I'm sorry you have to go through this.

It may just be a papilloma which wouldn't be that bad in the grand scheme of things.  I know it's a small comfort.

BRCA 2 Positive

Dx 11/27/2010, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIa, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 21, 2012 12:55PM Bren-2007 wrote:

Roo .. I've had cysts aspirated in the past that contained blood.  They were not cancer.

Wishing you the best,

Bren

Mar 21, 2012 12:59PM LuAnnH wrote:

I have been told by several sources that cancer tumors are hard and when they aspirate them they have a difficult time drawing fluid from them.  I would think the fact that fluid came out easily that would be a good sign it is benign.  I know it is a nerve wracking time, maybe you can call your surgeon to let him know how bad this has scared you.  Maybe he can call you directly with the results as soon as they are in instead of you waiting on an appt.

LuAnn --

Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 21, 2012 09:41PM roorooep wrote:

Thanks  all for the response and words of encouragment.  The surgeon is very strict in his results in person only policy, I beleive he had problems is the past with miscommunication with results given  over the phone.  Hopefully  I'll be in a better state of mind by tues.

Mar 28, 2012 12:33AM roorooep wrote:

Great News, got my results back,  B9.  My patholgy showed PASH and nonproliferative changes consistent with a cyst.  Thank You everyone for the support.  I'm sure I'll be visiting this site soon as I am scheduled for a MRI  in May.  Smile

Apr 3, 2012 02:55PM inspiewriter wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experiences-- I have to get a cyst aspirated in a few weeks. (Had excis. biopsy and surgeries for cancer 7 years ago on other side.)