We are 144,790 members in 73 forums discussing 114,635 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: Wire guided excisional biopsy

Topic: Wire guided excisional biopsy

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — Biopsy, mammogram, CAT scan, PET scan, ultrasound, or other tests.

Posted on: Nov 19, 2012 10:44PM

thebury78 wrote:

I am home from having this procedure today. At my surgical consult, I was told the radial scar with atypical hyperplasia was less than 2cm (or is it mm? I am medicated, sorry) in size. After excision, my family was told the excised tissues were the size of a US half dollar.

During my consult, I was told under 3 is not considered dcis, above is. I was not expected to be upgraded. But if upgraded, I would be placed on tamoxifen.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a half dollar larger than 3? Also, my family wasnt given any details, other than the procedure went beautifully and results will take 1-2 weeks.

Does anyone have advice or speculation? Also, will this amount of tissue removal leave behind a dent?

Surgery lasted 1.5 hrs...

I think that is all of the questions I had. If I think of more, I will post in comments.

I'm concerned. After the biopsy a month ago, I was told, "as of RIGHT now, you do not have cancer" something about that just hasn't set well with me, you know?

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Nov 20, 2012 10:11AM BLinthedesert wrote:

It sounds like you had a small area that was low grade "borderline" DCIS/ADH - with very small foci that look similar to DCIS, but are smaller than 3mm, the diagnosis is ADH.  It sounds like you will be moving to the 6 months closely monitored group.  You might also want to send your pathology out for a 2nd opinion, just to make sure.  Your insurance will pay for it, and for borderline lesions it is sometimes worthwhile for your piece of mind.  

Vanderbilt University has a consult pathology center, and they specialize in these types of cases: http://breastconsults.com/

Best wishes to you.

Dx 3/15/2012, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER-/PR-Surgery 04/20/2012 Lumpectomy (Right)Radiation Therapy 05/21/2012 External

Nov 20, 2012 10:44AM BLinthedesert wrote:

by the way, I had well over 6cm of tissue taken out (I was a small B cup) - and I have a dent, and it is noticeable when I am naked, but you can't tell at all when I am clothed, even in a running bra.  It sort of depends where the site is (on what quadrant of your breast), but it sounds like the amount of tissue you had taken out was pretty small and should have decent cosmetic results.

Dx 3/15/2012, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER-/PR-Surgery 04/20/2012 Lumpectomy (Right)Radiation Therapy 05/21/2012 External

Nov 20, 2012 02:03PM thebury78 wrote:

Thank you for the response. My area of concern is at the 2 o'clock position. Today us considerably more painful than yesterday. I suppose the lidocaine has worn off. This entire situation is highly unpleasant.

Nov 20, 2012 02:45PM, edited Nov 20, 2012 02:45PM by BLinthedesert

yes it is indeed ... I am sorry you are in pain.  I know from my procedure, it was at least 3 days from before I was "functional" again.  Some people bounce back a little quicker.  Try to rest and take it easy, don't do too much too soon.  Listen to your body.

Good luck in your recovery.

Nov 21, 2012 04:00PM thebury78 wrote:

Thank you. Today is much better. I am starting to feel somewhat human again. I have heard that my lump was 5cm at the time of removal. It was only 2cm when I was at the doctor last month. That's scary...

I'm anxious to hear the pathology report. I'm also glad it is out. I keep thinking of the what-could-have-beens. Shew. BSE's are sooo so very important. I am stressing this to all of my lady friends now.

Jan 1, 2013 10:24PM Stix wrote:

Does anyone know where I can send my pathology slides to?

Who is the best?

thanks in advance

stix

Jan 2, 2013 03:04PM leaf wrote:

Normally I think people send their slides to the nearest Major institution, and many prefer an NCI-certified center.  http://cancercenters.cancer.gov/cancer_centers/cancer-centers-list2.html

Some people only send their slides to an institution that has pathologists that might specialize in their situation if they have a difficult/unique situation.  I'm not sure how you figure out those.  ?Maybe you can ask the pathology department? ? Get recommendations from your breast surgeon?

If you're going through hell, keep going-Winston Churchill

Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR-Hormonal Therapy 07/15/2006 Tamoxifen