We are 144,996 members in 73 forums discussing 114,812 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: Dialated Ducts and Biopsy tomorrow

Topic: Dialated Ducts and Biopsy tomorrow

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — Biopsy, mammogram, CAT scan, PET scan, ultrasound, or other tests.

Posted on: Nov 29, 2012 09:38AM

skapaya wrote:

Hello Ladies,

A coule of weeks ago I went to the doctor for a lump I found. Ultrasound showed it was a solid mass, so she scheduled both a mammogram and biopsy. The mammogram was last week, followed by a second ultrasound. The technician mentioned that I also have dialated ducts, and that they will want to keep a close eye on me. She also suggested an MRI, but warnd against false positives. I'm terrible at asking questions when the oppurtunity presents itself, and now I am trying to figure out what dialated ducts means. I've done some research online, and know that dialated ducts can be related to intraductal papillomas (i had one removed about 6 months ago), but not sure what it means in regards to risk for BC.

My biopsy is tomorrow, and I's love to use the "alone time" with the doc to ask questions. I don't want to seem overly paranoid, but I'd like to leave the appointment feeling reasonably confident that I know whats going on. Anyone been through something similar and can recommend questions to ask?

Also, do you think the MRI is overkill.  I feel like i need a tutor. It's all so confusing.

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Nov 30, 2012 01:30PM skapaya wrote:

Biopsy done. Doctor seems to think it's a lipoma. I hope it is too. 

Nov 30, 2012 10:26PM amanda1116 wrote:

An MRI is not overkill, it is the most sensitive of all breast testing.  BUT it is not specific and the false positive rate is much higher than mammo or sono.  That is why it is not offered to the general population.

Dec 1, 2012 08:20AM Toastiecat wrote:

Not sure if your doc already explained the dilated duct thing, but as I understand it, it just means there is extra fluid in the duct, making it puff out larger than the others. There are any number of reasons why this can be the case. Best of luck!

xoxo

rtonj.blogspot.com

Dx 7/23/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 3, 0/8 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+Dx 7/23/2012, DCIS, 6cm+Surgery 08/02/2012 Mastectomy (Both); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both)Chemotherapy 09/21/2012 TaxolTargeted Therapy 09/21/2012 HerceptinSurgery 12/17/2012 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Left)Radiation Therapy 01/02/2013 ExternalSurgery 06/02/2013 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)Surgery 07/03/2013 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Left)Surgery 08/03/2013 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Left)