We are 144,805 members in 73 forums discussing 114,646 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Waiting for Test Results → Topic: feeling lost

Topic: feeling lost

Forum: Waiting for Test Results — Biopsy, mammogram, CAT scan, PET scan, ultrasound, or other tests.

Posted on: Dec 3, 2012 03:47PM

twistedtink wrote:

I noticed a couple months ago that my breast were tender. I figured it would go away, was probably from caffiene or something. When it kept on i decided to check it out. I found a lump in my right breast. I called my gyn and she scheduled me for a mammogram and ultrasound. The mammogram showed some macrocalcification but that was it. The ultrasound showed 2 lumps and came back birads 4. She sent me to a surgeon... While waiting on that appt, i found a lump in my left breast and noticed pain shooting through my left arm pit. When i went to my surgeon appt he threw a fit!! He was furious that they hadnt done an us on both breast. So he had me scheduled for another ultrasound at the hospital he works with. I had it done today. The woman doing the us was very thorough... the other place didnt check as much area or anything. She found several more masses and my lymph nodes under both arms hurt and look odd in the us too. I saw that she was very focused on a few of the lumps and kept making different colors (blue and red) pop up on the us. The surgeon had already told me that we would be doing a biopsy and walked me through how it would be done. Will his plan change now that this new scan has shown more? Im terrified. Im so tired but cant sleep. My nerves are shot. I have an appt with him again Thursday to get these results and set up the biopsy. My little sister (26 yo) has breast cancer but it wa caught very early. And over half the women in my family get some form of cancer... I had hoped it was cysts but the 1st us said the lumps were solid.. I think the waiting and not knowing are the worst... These have been the longest couple weeks ever! (thanks to the thanksgiving holidays) And ive decided that google is the devil!! if i type in anything about swollen lymph nodes and breast lumps, it comes up cancer (sighs). If the us is real bad will they call me before my thursday appt or will they wait? sorry to dump on yall.. just had to let a little out.

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Dec 3, 2012 04:31PM sewingnut wrote:

Let it out. The worry room can be full at times.  You are lucky you found a surgeon that is very thorough. Sounds like you will be in good hands. He will probably want to biopsy all of the lesions. Mine did. Just remember to breathe.

Dx 12/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Dec 3, 2012 04:56PM twistedtink wrote:

Thank you sewingnut. Sometimes i feel like i need to be strong for everyone around me and keep it hidden but its hard to do...

Dec 3, 2012 05:08PM sewingnut wrote:

Don't worry about the biopsy. You will be numbed before they start. Breast tissue doesnt have any nerves in it so the only thing you feel is the numbing on the skin.  They will give you little icepacks to put on the biopsy site after they are done. The thing that surprised me was the sound of the biopsy. I really didnt think it would sound like a drill :) It will pop when they put a marker in your breast. Ask to see your US pics. I always do. It makes a big difference when you have a good US tech doing the exam.

Dx 12/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+