We are 145,000 members in 73 forums discussing 114,819 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Lymphedema → Topic: small cut on finger? HELP

Topic: small cut on finger? HELP

Forum: Lymphedema — Risks, tips for prevention, and info about products that can address the symptoms of lymphedema.

Posted on: May 15, 2007 07:42PM

GracieM2007 wrote:

Ok, I know we are supposed to be very careful of the arm that we had lymph nodes taken out of, not to cut, or scratch....well guess what??? Yep, sitting at the cardiologists office today, I looked down and there it was...a small scratch on one of my fingers. Not very big, about 1/4 inch long, but it did break the skin. Would you believe no one there had any antibiotic cream? A cardiologists office? Had to wait to get home, about 2 1/2 hours later....then washed really good with soap and water, and applied antibiotic cream and a bandaid. Is there anything else I should do, or can do? And are bandaids ok? I have it on very loosely...any help would be appreciated.

Gracie Log in to post a reply

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

May 15, 2007 07:54PM LindaLou53 wrote:

Gracie,

You have taken the right steps. Don't panic just yet. Was the scratch fresh when you first noted it in the doctors office? Its true that the sooner you can wash a cut and apply antibiotic cream the better, but as long as you do not see any dramatic redness, swelling or heat in the area of the cut you are probably just fine. At this point just keep the area clean. You may want to check it before bedtime, apply more cream and new bandaid, then do the same thing in the morning. If you have to do any house cleaning, wash dishes, gardening etc. be sure to put on some protective gloves over the bandaid. The cut should normally heal in a matter of a few days. Just keep a close eye on things until then. I have had several minor scratches, including cat scratches since developing my LE but with prompt attention have not yet had any infections.

Of course if you do develop spreading redness, swelling, pain or drainage from the cut you should seek medical attention asap. Chances are good you will be just fine. It is great you are observant and vigilant in trying to maintain good skin health in your affected arm. I will make one suggestion however, start carrying a small bottle of antiseptic hand wash and a small tube of antibiotic ointment in your purse. They will come in handy for the future episodes since none of us can completely avoid small skin breaks from time to time

Linda

Life is not measured by how many breaths we take...but by the moments that take our breath away! ...I am a 14/8 yr survivor of 2 Primary BCs, 23/23 Positive Nodes (Zometa x 5 years) Started Paloma-3 Clinical Trial 4-14-14

Dx 7/14/2000, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 2/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 11/21/2005, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIc, Grade 1, 23/23 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-Dx 3/21/2014, ILC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-Surgery 08/11/2000 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Right)Chemotherapy 08/30/2000 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolRadiation Therapy 02/26/2001 ExternalHormonal Therapy 05/10/2001 TamoxifenSurgery 12/05/2005 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left)Chemotherapy 12/23/2005 Taxotere, XelodaRadiation Therapy 04/07/2006 ExternalHormonal Therapy 04/07/2006 AromasinHormonal Therapy 04/14/2014 Faslodex

May 15, 2007 08:05PM GracieM2007 wrote:

Thanks, Linda, I have to admit, I was kind of freaking out about it. It wasn't fresh when I found it though. I think I scratched it getting things out of my purse at the doctors office. It does look a tiny bit red around the cut this evening, but really, just a fraction of an inch around the outside. I was worried about using a regular bandaid...didn't know if that was ok, or not.

Thanks for your prompt answer. It really helps to have people nearby when something like this happens. And I can't get ahold of my cancer "buddy", so groups like this are a lifesaver sometimes

Thanks again,

Gracie

dx 4/11/2007, rt. mast 4/27/2007, 1.7cm IDC, stage 2, Grade 3, 1.4cm tumor in one node,, ER/PR+, Her2-, 4 DD AC, 4 DD T, Arimidex.