We are 144,874 members in 73 forums discussing 114,701 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage III Breast Cancer → Topic: Sauna, Steam Bath, Jacuzzis

Topic: Sauna, Steam Bath, Jacuzzis

Forum: Stage III Breast Cancer — You are not alone. Meet others who have Stage III breast cancer.

Posted on: Sep 21, 2008 01:14PM

Myrajuc wrote:

Hi,

I'm 2 years out :)  Stage III-B IDC.  Had lymph nodes removed 10+/12.

Have any of you gone to sauna, steam bath or jacuzzis?  I've tried jacuzzis but never really fully submerged myself. Is it okay?  Will we develop lymphedema?  I love sauna and steam bath.  I used to go at least twice or three times a week.

Let me know?

Thanks. 

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Sep 21, 2008 02:07PM SpunkyGirl wrote:

Good question!  I'll tell you, I'm a freak about LE prevention, so personally I wouldn't risk it.  Honestly, though, I'm not a fan of any of the above, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything.  I believe the suggestions on the LE threads is that if you are in a jacuzzi, leave the affected limb draped out.  Good luck finding the answer.

Bobbie

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul."

Dx 9/4/2006, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 8/20 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Sep 21, 2008 02:09PM pip57 wrote:

I have been told to stay out of the hot tub.  I will miss it but do not want to chance LE.

PIP - multi focal, FEC100/Tax, rads, dble mast with no recon, ooph/hyst, arimidex

Dx 2/1/2007, IDC, Stage IIIb, Grade 2, 9/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 21, 2008 02:13PM sschmidt wrote:

I love steam, saunas, jacussi's and I do all three.  I had a full auxilla disection...2+/16.  2 and 1/2 years ago.  Have been doing steams etc whenever they are available.  Not right away....but after chemo and radiation.  I couldn't give them up but I don't think about LE often.  I don't carry heavy things on that arm.  I don't lift heavy weights at the gym but I do lift light ones.  I do water aerobics about 5 times a week with smart weights and work my arms hard.  I get messages every two weeks and no LE yet.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Dx 2/10/2006, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 2/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 21, 2008 05:42PM Carol1220 wrote:

I had 10+/15 nodes but I have this fabulous hot tub in  my backyard.  I am very careful about my right arm but the hot tub is one thing I couldn't give up.  I haven't had any problem at all but I am careful not to get too overheated. I have flown several times and I always wear a sleeve and haven't had any problem there. One thing I haven't had is a massage - i have heard you have to be very careful there. Carol

Dx 10/13/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIc, Grade 3, 10/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 10/13/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIc, 10/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 21, 2008 06:54PM Bugs wrote:

I get massages, go in hot tubs.  Not a sauna person (shhh, don't tell my Scandinavian relatives).  I haven't had any issues.  The only thing I do is tell the massage therapist (if I don't know him/her) to ease up when they get to that side and explain.  If they are schooled therapists...they have learned how to do lymphatic massage.

Bugs

Dx 2/1/2006, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIa, Grade 3, 3/16 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 3, 2008 08:15AM NancyD wrote:

I've always taken hot showers/baths and I actually think the temp of those gets higher than any jacuzzi I've been in. If it's the high heat that sets off the lymphadema, I'd be more worried about my daily shower than an occasional dip in a hot tub. My brother sets his hot tub at 99°, much lower than my usual bath temp.

If you have the ability to adjust the temp of the system, just keep it on the low end of the spectrum. And don't stay in a long time. If it's a social event and the water's too warm in your judgement to chance it, sit around the edge with only your feet in.

Massages should be OK'd by your oncologist. If you are in active treatment, they usually would like you to wait. But after that, just go to an experienced masseuse...or better yet, a licensed therapist.

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

Dx 2/22/2008, IDC, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 4/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Chemotherapy 03/22/2008 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, Taxotere

Oct 3, 2008 01:44PM shrink wrote:

Check the Lymphedema thread.  I think this is a no-no. The heat could trigger lymhedema.  Before I was diagnosed with BC, I used a hot tub in a luxurious B & B and developed "Hot Tub Flliculitis" - very, very itchy.  Unless it's your own tub, I'd advise not using one.   

Dx 5/23/2007, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IIIc, Grade 3, 21/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 3, 2008 07:12PM dreamwriter wrote:

The book they gave me on LE has a no hot tub sign.  The lymphatic system reacts to longer sessions of heat as a fever.  Short showers are ok.  I had to give up long soaks in the bath.  Didnt really stop the LE but my left arm is twice the size of my right arm!

Laugh until it really IS funny.

Dx 12/20/2005, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 18/18 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-