We are 145,000 members in 73 forums discussing 114,821 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) → Topic: Should I have had MRI?

Topic: Should I have had MRI?

Forum: DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for DCIS.

Posted on: Feb 25, 2012 12:11AM

xocwjjb wrote:

Hello, all.  I am new to this site and to cancer.  I think I have been in a bit of a daze since diagnosis, but now that I am checking out websites, I see that quite a lot of ladies with DCIS have had MRIs and I wonder why, and whether I should have had one. While I have been in my denial mode I have not been pro-active in asking what options I have.   My surgical biopsy, which doubled as lumpectomy, showed DCIS, micropapillary pattern present in two sections with max  any one section 9mm; nuclei intermediate (non-high), necrosis present with calcification, 2 mm margins, estrogen and progesterone receptors positive, 2+. 

The surgeon thought this was a jolly good report, and suggested I had the option to do nothing, do radiation or do tamoxifen, or do both rad & tamoxifen.  The radiologist oncologist didn't think it was quite such a good report,  because of the type of DCIS and the margins.  The medical oncologist also didn't seem to think it was really good, and suggested I should at least do something, and quite possibly both  radiation and tamoxifen.  I have decided to do radiation and am scheduled to start next Monday.  But now I am thinking I should have been more aware during this past 8 weeks (surgical biopsy was in Jan) and one thing I am wondering is what does the MRI do and what are the criteria for having or not having one?  

In one way I think I am lucky not to have had an MRI because in another thread that I read, there seemed to be lots of people who had false positives followed by surgery, but that might just have been happenstance.   Anyway, can any of you who are more knowledgeable about all this, explain to me about who should have MRIs.  Sorry to blather on at such length, and many thanks to anyone who can help. 

Caroline

Posts 1 - 30 (30 total)

Feb 25, 2012 12:37AM LISAMG wrote:

Definitely get an MRI as an added insurance policy to better determine what may be going on with both breasts!! You need more answers, i feel, before proceeding with treatment. Your surgeon does not have your best interest in mind. Best wishes Caroline!

High Risk for HBOC, BRCA Un-informative Negative Previvor, Bilateral Nipple Sparing Risk Reducing Mastectomy, August, 2010, Lipo/ Micro fat grafting with high profile implants, Nov.,2010. Risk Reducing Lap. BSO, October, 2011.

Feb 25, 2012 10:39AM Beesie wrote:

I agree that having an MRI is a good idea.  MRIs have been shown to be better than mammograms at showing DCIS, and particularly high grade DCIS.  And the simple fact is that mammograms, ultrasounds and MRIs each use a different technology to 'see' the breast tissue and as a result, each may show something different.  So having more information about what's going on inside your breast, before you finalize your treatment plan, is a good idea. 

Hopefully your MRI will show that there is nothing more going on, and then you can feel comfortable that the radiation will be all you need and you can move on from there.  In my case, I had positive margins after my excisional biopsy, so I knew that another surgery was necessary. Before surgery, I had an MRI.  What the MRI showed was that I had 'stuff' throughout my breast - while there was no way to know for sure, my surgeon guessed that the 'stuff' was more DCIS.  So as much as I would have preferred to have re-excision surgery, i.e. another lumpectomy, I realized that there it was highly unlikely that I would end up with clear margins so I opted for a mastectomy.  That turned out to be the right decision, since my breast was in fact full of DCIS. The good news from my MRI was that my other breast was completely clear (I'd had 4 previous benign biopsies on this breast, including one just weeks before) and that convinced me that a single mastectomy was all I needed.  

By the way, I'm surprised that your surgeon said that no additional treatment was necessary. While your pathology report overall is good (less than 1cm of DCIS, grade 2), the fact that you had DCIS in two sections (which might or might not mean two separate foci) and only 2mm margins (any smaller and you'd probably want re-excision surgery) is highly suggestive that additional treatment - particularly radiation - should be considered/recommended. 

Question for you:  Your signature line indicates DCIS Stage II.  Pure DCIS is always Stage 0. Stage II breast cancer is invasive cancer, with either a tumor larger than 2cm in size or the presence of nodal involvement. So did you mean DCIS Stage 0 or is there something else in your diagnosis that moves you to Stage II (in which case the diagnosis wouldn't be considered DCIS)?

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Feb 25, 2012 12:42PM, edited Feb 25, 2012 04:16PM by RockiesGal

I am in a similar situation except that I have already had six weeks of radiation and have started tamoxifen.  I didn't really even think to question whether I should have had an MRI until I was in the fourth or fifth week of treatment.  I am planning to ask my RO this week about getting an MRI now.  I know she will be resistant because of the possibility of false positive report.  However, I am not comfortable not knowing what else is going on, especially since my DCIS was not seen on my mammogram.

Dx 11/2011, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+

Feb 25, 2012 01:04PM Diane509 wrote:

It's been a long time since I have been on these boards.  I had 2 MRI's.  After initial biopsy confirmed DCIS, docs wanted better picture of dense breast tissue.  1st MRI made them very worried I had more than DCIS and they didn't want to schedule my surgery if what "presented" in the MRI was true... they thought it was larger and probably (not possibly) invasive ... after MRI #1 I had an immediate ultra-sound biopsy for area #2 (same breast), path confirmed another area of DCIS... but there was still an area they couldn't biopsy via ultra sound, so 3 weeks later I had MRI guided biopsy #3 ... they were stunned to find out it was yet another DCIS - all 3 non-invasive (I was very lucky)... Nevertheless I had always planned on bi-lateral mx with immediate reconstrucion (lat dorsi flap ... no back incisions whatsoever) .... after the surgery the path came back with no invasive cancer, sentinal node biopsy clear .. all good, but my PS told me that even up the last second they were thinking it would not be all DCIS... am I sorry I had the MRI's .. no, but the weeks around that time were stressful.  

Dx 2/17/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+

Feb 25, 2012 03:20PM xocwjjb wrote:

Thank you all for taking time to help.  

I shall ask the radiation oncologist about having an MRI. (I find it a little bit confusing to determine who is the lead doctor in this situation - surgeon, rad onc, or med onc - but my faith in the surgeon was undermined by his thinking do nothing was a realistic option, and from what I observed in the med onc's office she was rude (although not to me) and over-committed.  I am considering to find another med onc, although I am not clear of her role in ongoing monitoring.)

Beesie,

I probably made a mistake in the filling out the questions in the signature line.  I shall go back and check.  Thanks for bringing this up. It's odd how to me that I can have been competent in life for 64 years and then turn into a blithering idiot when faced with a cancer diagnosis!

RockiesGal,

I agree with you.  Until coming to this board I didn't know that I didn't know what was going on, but now I want better information.  Good luck in getting your MRI.

Diane509,

Thanks for sharing your experience.  This prepares me for more confusion, but at least I have hope it will be resolved!

You all are so nice to share your knowledge.  Thank you.

Caroline

A woman of valor - seek her out, for she is to be valued above rubies. Proverbs 31, 10

Dx 12/27/2011, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+

Feb 25, 2012 03:29PM gumshoe wrote:

Interesting thread. I didn't have an MRI either.

I did ask but the surgeon said it would not show anything that the mammogram didn't already show. I always wondered though, after reading how many women also had an MRI. It certainly seems to be a complementary diagnostic tool.

Dx: 1/20/2012, DCIS, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 3; Tx: lumpectomy, re-excision, skin-/nipple-sparing mastectomy (right), tissue expander placed, tissue expander removed due to skin necrosis, graft taken from thigh to replace lost skin.

Feb 25, 2012 03:36PM bcisnofun wrote:

Hi Caroline - I had dense breasts and mammograms missed my cancer 4 months prior to diagnosis and, since it was a slow growing cancer, likely every year before that.  when I was dx with idc in one breast, I told them I wanted an MRI.  My surg onc said we have no reason to think it's in the other breast too, but I wanted one anyway and he ordered it.  So we did it and found dcis in the other breast.  So my mammogram missed cancer in both breasts.  Had I not done an MRI, I would have had a unilateral mastectomy and reconstruction not knowing that the other breast was involved as well.  Not trying to scare you and I doubt you have cancer in the other breast, but in my situation, it saved me at minimum a second surgery.  best wishes to you. 

Dx 4/29/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 25, 2012 03:47PM akmom wrote:

Hi Caroline, thank you for posting this. I was just diagnosed with DCIS Grade 2, only 3 mm and excisional biopsy showed margins of 2 mm, so very similar to your situation. My surgeon also thought my report was very good.

Now I am waiting for a referral to the cancer agency to talk about possible further treatment. Was hoping to avoid radiation but I think the 2 mm margin makes it 'borderline'. What I fear is having radiation, then later a recurrence in the same breast, since I understand that the radation can't be used a second time?

The surgeon said I have extremely dense breast tissue, and there's a lot of stuff going in in there according to the pathology report. After reading these posts, I'm thinking that I should ask for an MRI. If there are other areas of DCIS I would consider a mastectomy in order to avoid radiation entirely and improve my odds for avoiding a recurrence.

I'm in British Columbia. Does anyone out there know whether an MRI is likely to be offered? Does it depend on the doctors at the cancer agency? Do I have a choice, or will it be 'radiation suggested, take that or nothing'? 

Caroline, I'm guessing you are originally from England - am I right?

Dx 2/24/2012, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2Surgery 02/13/2012 Lumpectomy (Right)Radiation Therapy 04/10/2012 External

Feb 25, 2012 04:08PM, edited Feb 25, 2012 06:33PM by bgirl

akmom - I know MRI can be useful and can also create issues as well.  My path report from biopsy showed the potential of lobular as well as ductal involvement so had a pre-op MRI to make sure lumpectomy was right choice.  However, results showed there was a question of something on other side and recommended 6 month follow-up MRI (waiting now for May).  So MRI can be helpful, but like all other scans can lead to more tests and biopsies.  You just have to figure out what you can deal with.

Finished rads and they are doable. Rads will lower risk of local recurrence to 5-6% about 2% higher than Mx.  That is the point. Because mine was invasive partly had about 25% risk without so clear cut decision for me.  If you are one of the unlucky few with local recur then you would need mx, but at that point I would be more worried about the cancer.

I am in Ontario, but I assume similar gov health care.  You can discuss reason for wishing one with your surgeon or oncologist, but may or may not agree depending on circumstances.  You need requistion from them. Remember our tax dollars at work and limited resources (BS stood on head to get me one in 8 days and will do follow up, but don`t know if she would have done it just to make me feel better)  Know someone who insisted she needed one, went across border and self paid, showed nothing. 

Jane

Dx 10/27/2011, IDC, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 25, 2012 04:16PM gumshoe wrote:

Hi akmom,

I posted above - I wasn't offered one either and in my case, Dr. Janzen didn't think it would clarify anything. Your case might be different.

Dx: 1/20/2012, DCIS, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 3; Tx: lumpectomy, re-excision, skin-/nipple-sparing mastectomy (right), tissue expander placed, tissue expander removed due to skin necrosis, graft taken from thigh to replace lost skin.

Feb 25, 2012 05:14PM Outfield wrote:

Caroline,

I think it's important to clarify what "unnecessary biopsy" actually means.  

In a person who has had invasive cancer, or DCIS, there is a higher risk of another lesion in the same breast or the other breast being something bad.  I can't see biopsy of those lesions, whether it turns out to be benign or malignant, "unnecessary."  

MRI is better than the other forms of imaging at picking up DCIS.  How was your other breast evaluated?  

Feb 26, 2012 02:41AM akmom wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience, bgirl, very helpful.

Dx 2/24/2012, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2Surgery 02/13/2012 Lumpectomy (Right)Radiation Therapy 04/10/2012 External

Feb 26, 2012 04:37AM xocwjjb wrote:

Hi, everyone.  This is all very helpful. 

gumshoe; bcisnofun:  I think your two posts just prove that it is different for each individual, and   whether or not one has dense breasts seems to be an important issue.  I don't know if I have dense breasts but I assume not, since I  had umpty ump biopsies prior to menopause because something always seemed to be showing up in the screening mammogram.  Until this last one, the biopsy results  were always benign. 

Good for you, gumshoe, that you were at least aware enough to ask about the MRI.  I didn't think of it, didn't even know that one used MRI's for breast screening, so when I had my mammogram and calcifications showed in the right breast and no one mentioned anything about the left I thought everything on the left was fine.  Weird, because I had always thought that if I got cancer it would be in the left, since that's the one that has strange pains and sensations that no doctor has ever been able to explain.

akmom:  I feel for you trying to avoid radiation.  I too worried about the fact that if cancer came back I couldn't do radiation a second time.  My med onc suggested that doing the radiation now was "paying forward", but the best question came from the RO who said you have been diligently getting mammograms for 30 years, and now that it shows cancer you're going to do nothing?  Well, of course if you've done biopsy/lumpectomy it's not exactly nothing, but I did think he had a point since the radiation would reduce the recurrence probability considerably. Anyway, if you have dense breasts and your pathology shows a lot of stuff, it seems like it would make sense for you to have an MRI so that you have more info before committing to anything. I hope you can get what you need in the Canadian system.

Yes, you're right - I am a Brit originally, although Scottish not English.  It's the "jolly good" that gives it away, right? :)

bgirl:  it's got to be tough on you to wait until May for the next MRI.  I'll hold you in my thoughts for patience in waiting and for a good outcome when May rolls around.  Thanks too for sharing that rads are doable.  I'm a bit worried about the effect on the skin, having read some horror stories on other sites, so I just love to hear that you coped. 

Outfield:  your point about there being no "unnecessary" biopsies does make sense.  I certainly don't regret any of the many biopsies I had in my 30's and 40's although the results were all benign.  This time I never thought about a further evaluation of my left breast til I started reading posts on this site, then I realized that I had taken it for granted that everything was hunky dory on the left as all the docs focused on the right.  Whatever else it proves to be, this cancer diagnosis is proving a real learning experience  -  first lesson, never assume anything!

Blessings to all of you for taking time to share your experience and knowledge.

Caroline

A woman of valor - seek her out, for she is to be valued above rubies. Proverbs 31, 10

Dx 12/27/2011, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+

Feb 27, 2012 08:33PM gumshoe wrote:

I am really rethinking this now too, after reading this thread. I did ask about the MRI but I didn't pursue the reason why she didn't recommend one. I know so much more now.

I'm going to ask my GP if he'll write an MRI referral for my other breast. I too have very dense breasts. My surgeon discovered cysts in my left (non-DCIS) breast during my initial consultation but said they were nothing to worry about.

Of course, I'm really good at worrying!

Feb 27, 2012 08:43PM akmom wrote:

Ah yes, if only us "worriers" could divert that energy into something useful :)

Gumshoe, I'll be interested to hear what your GP has to say - keep us posted!

Feb 29, 2012 12:19AM dp4peace wrote:

Please check out my website/blog regarding Aurora dedicated breast MRI (RODEO MRI): www.dcis411.com  See "Resources" and "MY Choice for NO MORE MAMMOGRAMS & NO RADIATION.  ~ Donna

Donna Pinto

Dx DCIS, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 4, 2012 12:49AM momtobac wrote:

I think you are right to question whether or not you should get an MRI. After I was diagnosed with DCIS on the right breast, my BS ordered an MRI of both breasts to see if it has spread to the other breast. The MRI identified three other quadrants with potential issues (one was on the left breast and the other two were on the right breast which had the DCIS to begin with). BS ordered an ultrasound to confirm the areas noted by the MRI. Ultrasound confirmed one of the quadrants on the right breast but found nothing on the left breast. I could do another biopsy on the right breast but I don't think I am going to since I sort of decided on mx for that side anyway. Now the question is what to do with the left... Speaking with another BS tomorrow. Not convinced that the left breast is totally clear. Hope you find some answers. Best of luck!

Dx 3/7/2012, DCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 12, 2012 12:27AM LAstar wrote:

This is a very helpful thread!  I just received the pathology report on Friday's lumpectomy and found that 3 of 6 margins were not clear (the good news is that no invastion was found).  Based on the useful information from the post on the results presented at the NIH Consensus Conference section on DCIS, I asked my BS for an MRI today.  He said that MRI is not helpful for detecting DCIS, but I told him about some of the research and he said that we will give it a try.  Neither he nor my MO suggested using MRI back when I was first deciding between Lump and MX. My husband and I are pretty frustrated about that now.   I'm printing these abstracts out to share with them! 

Dx 3/5/2012, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-Surgery 04/06/2012 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 05/04/2012 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 06/19/2012 Mastectomy (Left); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction: GAP flap (Both)Surgery 10/05/2012 Reconstruction: GAP flap (Both)

Apr 15, 2012 07:22PM jlmg wrote:

Hello Lastar,

I think you should get an MRI.  I had mammograms for years and all looked well.  I always had calcifiations in the right breast.  Then I developed a lump in my left armpit when I was 57,  I had it sonogrammed, and got the all clear.  When I was 59 the radiologist  suggested I get a breast MRI just to make sure there wasn't anything else in that area, even though my  mammograms once again were "okay"  I had the breast MRI and it showed a "smear" in the left breast and a growth in the right.  I then had MRI breast biopsies and they showed DCIS in the left breast and a tumor in the right.  As I went to get other  opinions about the BMX, one doctor said I probably had BC for 8-10 years!   I'm glad the radiologist trusted his gut.  I know there is a lot of controversy about MRI's and mammograms, but that is what happened to me.  Good luck and take care.

Apr 15, 2012 08:03PM akinto wrote:

I had a lumpectomy on March 28. A piece of cake until I got an infection.

I got the pathology report back on April 12. Grade III, comedo necrosis, etc. At least it wasn't invasive yet.

It was 2.3 cm, and they had excised assuming it was 1.1 cm because the mammogram had so indicated.

So I am getting a re-excision to get bigger clean margins, which are currently <1 mm.

If the mammogram couldn't detect the size of the lesion in the first place, I think it might miss additional areas. Tomorrow I will ask for an MRI, but none was offered to me, which seems weird.

Has anyone in Ontario ever gotten an MRI for DCIS diagnosis? Do they use ultrasounds? How will I know if I have more DCIS?

Thanks, folks!

Dx 4/5/2012, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+

Apr 15, 2012 09:34PM Beesie wrote:

I'm in Ontario.  I had a microinvasion along with my DCIS so technically my diagnosis was Stage I, not Stage 0, but most of my area of cancer was DCIS.  My surgeon sent me for an MRI before surgery and the MRI showed a much larger area of suspicion than what appeared on the mammogram. The MRI turned out to be correct - everything it showed was more DCIS.  

In your situation there is every reason to do an MRI. And there is no reason for your surgeon to refuse to requisition one for you; your surgeon should want to have the most accurate and complete picture prior to surgery.  Don't accept "no" as an answer.  And if they say "no", tell them that an MRI prior to surgery is standard practice at PMH in Toronto.  There have been many DCIS women through this board who've been treated there and most have had MRIs.

Dx 9/15/05, DCIS-MI, 6cm+ Gr3 DCIS w/IDC microinvasion, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- “No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Apr 15, 2012 10:28PM akinto wrote:

My surgeon is Dr Wey Liang Leong at PMH. He doesn't talk to me much. Didn't hand me the pathology report until he was leaving the examination room.

Great surgery. Not great communication. I wonder why he didn't mention that MRI is SOP at PMH?

Apr 16, 2012 12:33AM LAstar wrote:

I'm getting my MRI on Tuesday.  It seems that the radiologist who originally did my biopsy is the one who should have requested the MRI, not my BS.  The radiologist is the one trained to read it (and she comes highly recommended).  I'm just glad to get this additional information before planning a re-excision.  I would hate to have an unnecessary surgery.  

Dx 3/5/2012, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-Surgery 04/06/2012 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 05/04/2012 Lumpectomy (Left)Surgery 06/19/2012 Mastectomy (Left); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction: GAP flap (Both)Surgery 10/05/2012 Reconstruction: GAP flap (Both)

Apr 16, 2012 01:12AM Cyn0619 wrote:

Hi
My first surgeon that did my excisional biopsy that was really a lumpectomy told me it was highly unlikely I had anything going on in the other breast and thought MRI was not necessary. My dcis did not show in mammo so I asked how did he know it was only in 1 milk duct. He told me "he would look around when he did re excision and radiation would get anything left. I choose to get 2nd opinion and new mammo showed clustered calcifications on opposite breast and looked suspicious with blood flow going to 2 different areas. My surgeon felt I had dcis or invasive cancer on other side. I choose to do BmX and pathology ended up showing a lot of pre cancerous cells but no cancer. I'm happy with the decision I made because eventually it probably would of turned into cancer. Mri's can give false positives but it can sometimes see what mammos and ultrasounds miss.

Apr 24, 2012 11:44AM jackier wrote:

Hi ladies!  I am just very new to this site!     My BS did order an MRI which I had last week.  Now waiting on resutls. The had done a surgical biopsy and that is where DCIS Stage 0 was found and it is around one of the areas, around the nipple.. ugh!    and the other area she took tissue samples shows "extensive atypical hyperplasia".  She explained to me that I have 2 optins:  first to do another surgery and with some clear margins, but her fear is that it won't look "cosmetically" pretty.. do I care? Not!  and after this 6 weeks or rads and then she will send me to a hormone oncologist? to see about hormone treatment.    The other option was mastectomy but she thinks that the area is so small (0.6mm) that it would be too much of a surgery option.  So of course, I am in a bind...     my husband and i are inclining in doing the other surgery (which i don't know if that is what is called lumpectomy?) and then the rads.    I have so much going on in May.. my daughter's graduation, her party, that I want to delay the surgery til June and then from there start rads.   Any thoughts?   My husband wishes to have it taken care of asap to avoid it spreading, but i explained to him that it is DCIS stage 0 and non invasive so one month of doing anything won't be an issue (at least my logical thought)...   would appreciate some guidance, comments, advice..   I am planning to make an appointmnet with my BS again for this week with my husband to discuss more about the next steps... any additional questions I can ask?

Dx 4/12/2012, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+

Apr 24, 2012 12:53PM cheryl1946 wrote:

I had 2 mammograms,saw a surgeon,and she was more concerned about 2 hard  masses not seen on mammo. Had a stereotactic bx that confirmed dcis. then an mri, 2 core needle biopsies,another mri,and finally a PET/cat scan.

The mri's were "suspicious". Then the PET/cat showed several areas in the bone that were also "suspicious" .

Had a cat scan guided bx of head of humorus at Dana Farber that showed mets. No surgery or chemo since I am stage IV.

I had just turned 65 and was started on letrozole (er+pr pos. HER2 neg) and zometa to strengthen the bones.

Just had a followup PET/cat that showed "almost no activity",so treatment is working.

I would have an mri;it will give you peace of mind.

DX 7/6/11 with stage IV at the start;mets to several bones No surgery,rads,or chemo letrozole failed after 17 mos. 2 other hormonals failed; now on to xeloda

Dx 7/6/2011, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 24, 2012 01:06PM cheryl1946 wrote:

Akinto

I would seriously consider getting another doctor. I like all of mine since they talk to me.

I had my PET/cat on 4/12 and my onc called me 4/13 in the evening with the result;she said I did not want you to worry all weekend about it.

All my docs read reports to me over the phone (my preference) and took plenty of time to answer my questions.

Any  doc that gave me the report as he walked out the door would not see me again.

DX 7/6/11 with stage IV at the start;mets to several bones No surgery,rads,or chemo letrozole failed after 17 mos. 2 other hormonals failed; now on to xeloda

Dx 7/6/2011, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 25, 2012 10:40PM akinto wrote:

Met with RO today. Asked about the rest of the breast. He seemed to think it was not a concern. I will follow up.

Apr 29, 2012 12:25PM LAstar wrote:

xocwjjb, did you get an MRI?  

My MRI showed 4 lines radiating toward the nipple from the lumpectomy site.  The BS and radiologist indicated that it could just be inflammation from the lump, but the 4 lines correspond with the 3 unclear margins so it seems likely that there is DCIS there.  The radiologist warned that there was a lot of noise in my MRI (younger = processing contrast faster = more noise) and didn't know if she would put much stock in the MRI.  Linear pattern is not a random pattern to me!  Maybe I should get a 3rd opinion.

Apr 29, 2012 02:12PM Deirdre1 wrote:

lastar:  You could certainly have the MRI read by another group of radiologists - it is a very common request!!!