We are 144,949 members in 73 forums discussing 114,775 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Coulod Cold pack for head during chemo save our hair ?

Topic: Coulod Cold pack for head during chemo save our hair ?

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Sep 12, 2007 03:47AM, edited Sep 12, 2007 03:47AM by trigeek

trigeek wrote:

Hi everyone,

My mother said one of her friends who was treated in UK was given a contraption which basically was an ice pack shaped as a motorcyle helmet.. covering all hairline. She wore it during chemo and a couple of hours afterwards and did not lose her hair. At this point I do not know which cocktail was given so that of course might be the factor. 

I am still working on getting the specs but has anyone heard of this ? Don't want to risk a brain freeze needlessly on top of bc.

Thanks !

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Sep 12, 2007 04:19AM trigeek wrote:

Hmm never mind ..

Hmm.. I guess I should not go ahead with this ;

http://www.oncolink.com/coping/article.cfm?c=5&s=27&ss=49&id=576

Can I apply ice packs to my scalp to decrease hair loss?
No. It generally does not work. It may actually decrease the ability of the chemotherapy to kill cancer cells in this area.

Bummer !

Bilateral MX with Recon, DD AC/Taxol Rads,Tamoxifen, oopherectomy, femara, zometa "Live Deliberately !"http://www.aylin-yeahright.blogspot.com/

Dx 8/3/2007, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 2/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 12, 2007 08:07AM abbadoodles wrote:

Yes, I read the same thing and more to that effect.  It is not recommended here in the States. 

I also wonder if it is mainly effective in treatments that do not use A/C, which are the most potent agents causing hair loss.

Tina

Tina

Sep 12, 2007 08:13AM katymom wrote:

It is not recommended because whereever you put ice the chemo doesn't go.  So the chemo won't be as effective.  I used ice on my nails and so far have not had any problems with them.  I heard to used a cold wet rag on your head for hot flashes during the chemo......

Katymom

Sep 12, 2007 09:05PM lady4law wrote:

Yes I have also heard it works, but not with Taxotere. I wanted to try it.

My mother aslo suffered from BC and was placed on chemo a number of times, she never lost any hair on her head, she wore a tight headband during the tx and I believe also some sort of cooling. She did lose hair all over her body, including under arms, legs, arms, etc...butnot her head, the area she was protecting. I believe she wore the headband for a few hours after chemo, but not sure.

Dr Dusan Love goes into this in her Breast Book. She mentions also that hair grows back white or dark.

TNBC, Chemo/TC (5), Surgeries, Lump, Mast/Rec, move PM 4 rads, infection(2),Exch, Re-do(2), tumor '09/B9, lesions: Thyroid, kidney, sinus, mastoid, "activity' spine/hip, mini/strokes, 12/10 Scan Spina Bifida (L1,2,3,4)

Sep 13, 2007 09:00PM lady4law wrote:

TriGeek

Try and get a copy of "Breast Cancer the Complete Guide" - Hirshaut/Pressman

Page 176, states "tourniquets" around the head during treatments and ice packs placed on the head for 15 minutes befoer an dleft on until 15-30 following treatments can prevent or limit hair loss.

However,once again they say this does not work with Taxotere and Taxol

Hope this helps, Jean

TNBC, Chemo/TC (5), Surgeries, Lump, Mast/Rec, move PM 4 rads, infection(2),Exch, Re-do(2), tumor '09/B9, lesions: Thyroid, kidney, sinus, mastoid, "activity' spine/hip, mini/strokes, 12/10 Scan Spina Bifida (L1,2,3,4)

Sep 16, 2007 08:11PM seacat wrote:

I had my first chemo on Thursday 13 Sept, I'm being treated with FEC. 

I was offered the Cold Cap to help reduce /prevent hairloss.  There is no guarentee, people react differently.

Although I think I tolerate pain well, it was more than I could bear.  It is - 6 deg and has to be worn something like half an hour before, during and 2 hours after each chemo.  I have a booklet on it somewhere.  I pulled it off my head after a few mins, it was hurting but I am told that when you have had it on for 10 mins it becomes bearable.   

seacat

Sep 21, 2007 10:49PM konakat wrote:

Hair loss was a horrible thing.  But it was in one of these groups or another that you shouldn't do the ice thing.  Yes it keeps the blood and chemo away.  But think, is keeping your hair worth the risk of missing some cancer cells?  I don't think so.  Your hair will come back (and it feels sooo good when it does!).  You will have beautiful nails again.

I know it is totally up to what you think is best for you.  But please, take what ever drugs are offered to you and let them course freely throughout all of your body.  In the long run you will have no regrets, no what-ifs. 

Elizabeth's Mantra: When in doubt, eat cake. When you haven't a clue, add ice cream. Elizabeth's Mets: Liver, bones, brain (yuck), and lungs (more yuck).

Dx 5/2007, ILC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 13/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Sep 22, 2007 04:52AM trigeek wrote:

Thanks everyone.. I  will leave the hair to do 'its own thing' got it chopped off pretty short before I start next thursday.

Bilateral MX with Recon, DD AC/Taxol Rads,Tamoxifen, oopherectomy, femara, zometa "Live Deliberately !"http://www.aylin-yeahright.blogspot.com/

Dx 8/3/2007, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 2/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-