We are 144,992 members in 73 forums discussing 114,808 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Nioxin products

Topic: Nioxin products

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Nov 3, 2007 01:13PM, edited Nov 3, 2007 01:13PM by Nicole

Nicole wrote:

Hello ladies.  I went to Trade Secret and was looking at the Nioxin products last night.  I'm wondering which products you are all having success with.  The follicle booster seemed to make sense to me.  Any input would be appreciated.  I want to see if I can bump up the growth of my peach fuzz.

Thank you

Nicole

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Nov 4, 2007 02:18PM Nicole wrote:

I hate to be a pest, I'm just anxious to see some more hair.  Anybody with any expert advice?  Please help steer me in the right direction.

Nicole

Nov 4, 2007 04:55PM Nicole wrote:

Still wondering......

Nov 4, 2007 05:00PM JoeyAnn wrote:

Hey Nicole.  My friend gave me some Nioxin "Scalp Therapy" as soon as I started to lose my hair in May.  It's creamy, like conditioner, but I've been rubbing it into my scalp all thru chemo (just finished October 17).  My scalp actually hurt when the hair started to go.  The Nioxin kept is moisturized and made my scalp feel better.  

Don't know if this is typical or not, but I never lost every bit of hair on my head, always had a little bit of fuzz all thru chemo.  During the last 4 treatments of Taxol, it seemed to grow a tiny bit.  Maybe it's my wishful thinking, but it's starting to feel a little thicker also. 

Have to admit I've never looked at what other products Nioxin had available, but I've been happy with the scalp therapy.  I put it on every morning after the shower, and at night if I think about it.

Good luck!   

Nov 5, 2007 04:05PM Nicole wrote:

JoeyAnn,

Thank you so much for responding.  I'm growing hair here by the day, but am anxious to have more.  I'll try the scalp therapy.  I appreciate you getting back to me.

Thank you.

Nicole

Nov 5, 2007 05:07PM cinrae123 wrote:

Hi,,,,,,,,,,I have a question about the Nioxin.  Well,,,,first does it really help with the hair growth,,,,and second,,,,,,do you have to keep using it for forever.  Like if you stop using it will your hair fall out?  Dumb question I know,,,,,,sorry.

Cindy

Cindy

Dx 1/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Nov 5, 2007 06:39PM JoeyAnn wrote:

Hey ladies.  Sorry for the typos in my last post . . . still get just absolutely exhausted, and I get frustrated when I go back and read those!  Anyway, my friend (she was also my son's daycare provider) has used it for years, because she has very fine hair.  Her recommendation was as someone who has fine/thinning hair, not as someone who has been thru chemo.  She swears by it, and by reading the board, I've seen that other chemo gals have used and made positive comments on it also.

I know that at times, my friend has used other products on her hair and certainly it didn't fall out, she just felt it didn't look as full and thick as it does when she uses the Nioxin.  She uses the shampoo also.  Sorry to say I haven't had the need to use shampoo for several months now.

I certainly can't say for sure whether it helps, but I am proud to say that my son told me today, "Your hair is coming in nicely, Mom."  He cracks me up and makes me feel great.  Again, I don't know if it helps, but it doesn't seem to be hurting.  There are other suggestions on the board for what might help with hair growth. 

I will also admit that periodically, I rub it on where my eyebrows used to be!  Hoping those come back soon!

Nov 6, 2007 10:23AM MaryGLA wrote:

Nicole,

I was very slow to see any hair after chemo.  4 months after chemo ended, I took my kids to get hair cuts, and I saw Nioxin in the salon.  I bought a three-part package.  There is a shampoo, conditioner, and foam leave-in stuff.  That was three months ago, and my hair is finally getting thicker!  I need to try it on my eyebrows, because they came in very thin.  Good luck with your hair.

Mary

Diagnosed with Stage I IDC in October 2006. DMX, chemo, hysterectomy. April 2011- diagnosed with mets to bones, liver, lungs.

Dx 10/11/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-Dx 4/24/2011, Stage IV, ER+/PR-, HER2-Chemotherapy 05/20/2011 AbraxaneChemotherapy 11/11/2011 XelodaChemotherapy 08/15/2012 carboplatin, Gemzar