We are 144,815 members in 73 forums discussing 114,658 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: pic line verus port

Topic: pic line verus port

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Jan 30, 2008 02:27PM

mom07 wrote:

What is the difference between a pic line in your arm verus a port inserted into your chest. Why would one method be chosen over another?

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Jan 30, 2008 08:19PM snowyday wrote:

If you look on page 6 there is an ongoing discussion about this very topic, it will give you the answers.pearl49

PN

Dx 5/24/2007, ILC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jan 30, 2008 10:11PM kissta wrote:

I asked my Dr the very same thing. He told me a pic line is not made for long term use, and has a higher chance of getting infected.

I receive my port yesterday. It is completely covered under my skin and needs less care. I can shower with ease, it only has to be flushed every 4 weeks, and the onc office will take care of that for me.

The pic line is not as easy to conceal either. But talk to your Dr. if your only getting a few treatments then it could be a good choice for you.

Krista 

God has a greater plan for us in the future then we have ever seen or dreamed of in the past.

Dx 12/11/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 2/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-