We are 144,988 members in 73 forums discussing 114,800 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: PEDICURE AFTER CHEMO-HOW SOON?

Topic: PEDICURE AFTER CHEMO-HOW SOON?

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Jun 5, 2008 01:24PM, edited Jun 5, 2008 01:34PM by bluewillow

bluewillow wrote:

Hello everyone on this VERY hot day (in the 90s) in the mountains of North Carolina!   

I finished my chemo tx in January '08, finished rads in April '08, and am doing only Herceptin now.  My poor toenails and fingernails really took a beating from the Taxol and in March, my dr. told me to wait a while before having a pedicure.  Now that sandal weather is here, my feet need help badly. Is it safe now to have a pedicure now?  The salon I go to is very clean and reputable.  Advice and/or similar experiences, anyone?  

Thanks and stay cool! Cool

Mary Jo 

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jun 5, 2008 02:00PM sahalie wrote:

Mary Jo.

I went to the podiatrist after chemo.

I felt that was the safest way to get my feet checked but now I would also like to know about finding a reputable pedicure person.

I've heard we should never put our feet in the solution unless it is changed after each person.

How would we know if it's fresh solution?

Will they clean it out in front of us?

Thanks for asking the question.

Jun 5, 2008 03:49PM Determined1 wrote:

Okay, maybe I was naughty, but I had peds throughout my chemo tx.  I talked to my pedicurist (whom I've seen for many years) and told her everything had to be immaculate or I couldn't have it done.  So, she scrubs out the bath with cleanser before I put my feet in it (others have suggested we take our own plastic tubs to put inside the foot bath and just do the pedi w/o the whirlpool).  Then she douses every instrument w/ rubbing alcohol right before my eyes (it has been suggested that we buy our own instruments and have the tech use our equipment).  I feel my gal is taking care of me and so far, so good.  I do tip VERY well after this.

Now it appears the Taxotere is going to claim a couple of my toenails (managed to keep the fingernails, somehow), so I've skipped the full blown pedi the last two times in favor of just a polish change (I'm concerned the sitting in water will encourage those nails to jump ship).  This seems to be working for now.

IF I do lose my nails, I'm going to have my tech just put acrylics on the missing nails and move on.  I am NOT going to compromise my need for pretty toes, because as you so correctly pointed out, it's sandal weather!!!

Does that help?

D1

The things that we're afraid of are gonna show us what we're made of in the end.

Dx 8/17/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 5, 2008 07:21PM LorenaB wrote:

I did 4 sessions of A/C (dose dense) and I asked my onco nurse if it would be ok to get a pedicure.  She said it would be fine as long as they didn't cut anything.  So I clipped my own toenails before I went, and told the pedicurist not to clip the nails or the cuticles, and not to use that scraper tool to get the dead skin off my feet.  I've been going to this place for a while and I know they keep the basins very clean. 

I went again two weeks after chemo and I haven't had any problems.  Perhaps my oncology practice is rather "liberal" about things, though -- I was also told that raw veggies and fruits were fine, just avoid sushi and soft cheeses and undercooked meats.

Dx 12/20/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 6, 2008 09:24AM bluewillow wrote:

Hi ladies,

Thank you for all your help!  I plan to call the salon today, explain my situation, and try to feel out the receptionist to see which of the 3 pedicurists might be more capable of dealing with my "special" toenails.  I will be so glad to have nice looking feet!!

Mary Jo 

Nana of Mason, Hayden, and Addison~Lumpectomy, Re-excision, SNB, AC/Taxol, Radiation, 1 yr Herceptin

Dx 7/26/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jun 6, 2008 09:29AM Caya wrote:

I had a mani/pedi the week after I finished chemo, and had them throughout my year of Herceptin.  Just take the precautions of cleanliness as the others have suggested.  Enjoy the pampering, you deserve it.

Dx 10/16/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+