We are 144,874 members in 73 forums discussing 114,700 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After → Topic: MonaVie and Chemo?

Topic: MonaVie and Chemo?

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Oct 17, 2008 06:53PM

Lisa1964 wrote:

Is it OK to take the anti-oxidant supplement MonaVie while on chemo.  I will start TCH Mon, Oct 27.  I have a very dear friend that swears by MonaVie and wants me to take it.  Their website says it is fine to take with chemo, but I have read that anti-oxidants during chemo should be avoided as the interfere with the drugs.

If the MonieVie will make me feel a little better, buy all means I drink it; but if it is gonna interfere with my TCH, obvioulsy, that would be a dumb thing to do.

Thanks guys!

Lisa

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Oct 17, 2008 11:04PM Sable wrote:

Anti-oxidants are a big nono with most chemo. As are many vitamin supplements. Many supplements actually block the chemo so play it safe and talk to your oncologist before you start anything. You don't want to go thru all of this and find out that you counteracted your treatment :O)

Jen * With all these hot flashes... I'M the reason for global warming*

Dx 3/11/2008, IDC, 3cm, Grade 3, 1/11 nodes, ER+, HER2+

Oct 19, 2008 06:06AM Lisa1964 wrote:

Thanks Sable.

I found a great study that said to absolutely stay away from anti-oxidants during chemo.

Lisa

I attacked and I won! www.JohnnyRebelAcres.com

Dx 8/28/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 1, 2/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 27, 2008 05:41PM Springtime wrote:

Hi all,

My ONC said antioxidants may actually PROTECT the cancer, so I stopped Monavie and also concentrated Fish oil.

Springtime

Psalm 91: 14-16 "Because she loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue her; I will protect her, for she acknowledges my name. She will call upon me, and I will answer her; I will be with her in trouble, I will deliver her and honor her. W long life...

Dx 7/10/2008, IDC, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 27, 2008 06:32PM SoCalLisa wrote:

Hi there..I am a big time MonaVie drinker..but not on chemo

BTW...,Costco has the equivalent for a fraction of the cost... 

DX 2000-IDC-DCIS-LCIS- 2B..POS NODE--ER+. PR+, HER2 NEG

Dx 11/24/2000, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 27, 2008 06:45PM carol1949 wrote:

Lisa,  I would tell you to follow your heart, intuition, whatever you want to call it.  My oncologist approves of Mono Vie and said many patients tell her they feel better and not so tired during chemo.  She also told me that University of FL is doing a study on Mona Vie in regard to chemotherapy.

I would highly recommend for you to Google Dr. Patrick Quillin.  He is a Dr. of nutrition and former VP of Cancer Treamtment centers of America.  He explains his theories, along with documented results.  AT CTCA they use many supplements along with chemo which he explains enhanced the effectiveness of the chemo, while minimizing side effects.  He does NOT sell supplements, but tells you how to prioritize what you might need.  I was able to borrow his book from my local Public Library.

Also, my nurse navigator recently told me she just read his book and was most impressed and thinks he is right.  She says so many areas are behind in this realm and she welcomed the information to be able to offer to people who do want some options.

Good luck in your journey.

Dx 4/4/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIb, ER+, HER2-

Oct 27, 2008 07:06PM LisaF wrote:

Hi Lisa,

I don't want to be negative, but I would make sure you ask your oncologist.  Mine was aware of Dr. Quillin and pointed out that his degree (PHD, not a medical degree) came from Kensington University, which was shut down as a diploma mill.

He said that doesn't mean that he doesn't know anything, he's obviously very involved in nutrition, but don't just take anything that is written in a book as total fact.   

Lisa

Dx 6/10/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 27, 2008 07:46PM carol1949 wrote:

patrickquillin.com/resume.html

Unfortunately, there are always going to be these things.... but anyone can check the rest of his resume and see that perhaps the doctorate degree is not the most important part of his qualifications.

The good thing is there are so many cross references that I found in what he suggests and one can easily look them up for themselves.

My oncologist is familiar with him and thinks that there is nothing that can hurt you.... so it again is a matter of your comfort level.  I personally, certainly don't take everything he suggests, but didn't find anything that I thought was "quacky"!

The important thing is we are all sharing our thoughts and opinions.  You are so right.. that just because it is in a book doesn't mean it is fact. 

I appreciate your sharing your information.

Dx 4/4/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIb, ER+, HER2-

Oct 28, 2008 11:05AM LisaF wrote:

Thanks, Carol.  You seem so level headed and rational.  I like the fact that you are using BOTH traditional and alternative methods.  I had a friend who died from breast cancer several years ago who only wanted to hear about alternative methods.  She bypassed chemo and relied on a macrobiotic diet.  Now as I get further in this journey I understand that we need to use all tools available to us, and not just rely on one or another.

Thanks for your input!

Lisa 

Lisa

Dx 6/10/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 28, 2008 11:09AM Caya wrote:

I did 3 x FEC, then 3 x Taxotere, followed by one year of Herceptin, every 3 weeks.

My onc. did not want me on any supplements, vitamins etc. of any kind while on chemo - not even the cranberry extract supplement I took to stave off recurring UTIs. I would err on the side of caution and take nothing, only what is prescribed by your onc.  You can't do any harm by not taking anything, but you could screw up the effectiveness of your chemo if you do.

Once I was on Herceptin, my onc. okayed pretty well everything.  Ask your onc. when you start the Herceptin only segment of your treatment.

Good luck.

Dx 10/16/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+